Conceal Carry Permit: No NICS but set by date?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    So I called the conceal carry department and they told me since my license was 12/03/13 and expires in 2018 that by law I don't fall under the no NICS background check, but they said I can renew my license early and can only do it in 2018.

I don't understand if you already had a license before March 2015 you cannot fall under the non NICS check....that doesn't make sense. Anyone have any info on this....or am I missing something it seems like something is wrong here.

Also what if you had a lifetime license???? Your just screwed?

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    The way they wrote the law was that only permits issued after Mar 15 would qualify you for no NICS checks, possibly something to do with additional background checks made after March? Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's just the way the law is written. Looks like you are stuck until 2018

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's on the LSP page...

possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t).

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

If you have a lifetime permit you will still need to have a NICS check run.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    No i got a upin a few yaers ago i was always delayed a day someone with same name and felonies i guess

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You still have to fill out the 4473 so it really doesn't save anytime (unless you get delayed often).

Wrong, it saves a ton of time, unless you can manage to get a NICS check done in the time it takes to use a pen for writing down the info on your DL & CHP. Do you have a 5-year permit that was issued after March 9th, 2015? I do, and I used my CHP to buy a stripped AR lower in minutes. The last time I bought a firearm and had to wait for a NICS check, it took an hour, and I've never been delayed in my life.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Wrong, it saves a ton of time, unless you can manage to get a NICS check done in the time it takes to use a pen for writing down the info on your DL & CHP. Do you have a 5-year permit that was issued after March 9th, 2015? I do, and I used my CHP to buy a stripped AR lower in minutes. The last time I bought a firearm and had to wait for a NICS check, it took an hour, and I've never been delayed in my life.

I've bought a lot of guns and never had the NICS check take over 60seconds. I will add I don't shop during sales or holidays and that could be the difference.

ETA: Are you saying that you don't fill out the 4473 at all?

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I was told by an FFL that permits issued before this date were not in the same computer system as permits after this date. What that means I don't know. Maybe your new permit is a "smart" permit and will self destruct if you get a DWI?:mamoru:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I've bought a lot of guns and never had the NICS check take over 60seconds. I will add I don't shop during sales or holidays and that could be the difference.

ETA: Are you saying that you don't fill out the 4473 at all?

You fill it out, just no call in. And btw, a 60 second call in/go ahead is just about impossible.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You fill it out, just no call in. And btw, a 60 second call in/go ahead is just about impossible.

Yea 60seconds may be a bit far fetched lol but I can say for 100% it's never even came close to 5min total call time. I still hate filling out the paperwork more than waiting on the background check.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Nics are instant...everytime I run one if you proceed everytime then you should proceed. Theres very little hesitation on a proceed usually.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Your FFL still uses the phone?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Academy & Cabela's both used the phone, with the addition that Cabela's has you fill out the 4473 on the computer. My new FFL has always used my CHP, since I moved to the area.

Top Bottom