concealed carry at LSUSD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tigers2011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Hey guys, next fall I will be attending LSU's dental school(the one in new orleans) and can't seem to find a clear answer on conceal carrying. It's located on florida avenue in new orleans and is part of the lsu health sciences system. I've been to the school several times and have never seen a firearm free zone sign. According to the laws of LSU health sciences, it states "This policy states that it is illegal and expressly prohibited to engage in the unauthorized carrying of a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or non-student on University property at anytime. This includes but is not necessarily limited to school sponsored functions or in a firearm-free zone. Violators will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

So by having a concealed handgun permit, I wouldn't be considered as performing "unauthorized carrying of a firearm"???

tigers2011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Yeah I was kind of figuring that. I'm tired of not being able to carry now(at lsu baton rouge) and for the next four years considering these places are where I spend most of my time.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    §95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

C. For purposes of this Section:

(1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

Is the School of Dentistry a public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university?

Probably not an elementary, secondary, or high school.

It would not meet the typical definition of a vocational-technical school, but you could make that stretch.

It does not appear to be a college. It's not the "college of dentistry." But you could make the argument that it is.

Is it a university? Maybe. It is, after all, the Louisiana State University School of Dentistry. However, anyone in Louisiana would be the first to tell you that LSU is in Baton Rouge. If LSU owned a gas station in Houma, would that be a firearm free zone? Is anything with the LSU name on it automatically a "university?" Is anyone wearing an LSU shirt now a "university?" :)

Who knows.

I often wonder the same thing about the LSU Health Sciences Center. I haven't seen any firearm free zone signs there either.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hey guys, next fall I will be attending LSU dental school(the one in new orleans) and can't seem to find a clear answer on conceal carrying. It's located on florida avenue in new orleans and is part of the lsu health sciences system. I've been to the school several times and have never seen a firearm free zone sign. According to the laws of LSU health sciences, it states "This policy states that it is illegal and expressly prohibited to engage in the unauthorized carrying of a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or non-student on University property at anytime. This includes but is not necessarily limited to school sponsored functions or in a firearm-free zone. Violators will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

So by having a concealed handgun permit, I wouldn't be considered as performing "unauthorized carrying of a firearm"???

The Campus is part of the LSUHSC and is a prohibited zone under LA law and may fall under the federal prohibition or not.

I am fairly certain that officials would have no problem with gun concealed in car in parking lot, but would be very unhappy if a new student was caught CC'ing in the buildings. You may even get yourself kicked out.

That said, consider the old "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 8"; also, there is a group who hold the "Concealed means CONCEALED // Don't ask, don't tell".

It would be against the law. That said, there have been several times over the decades when a student or young physician has used a concealed firearm to defend against a violent criminal attack at the main medical complex on Tulane Ave, and there were no repercussions from the Deans.

My advice is to go unarmed into the buildings, at least until you have become accustomed to the rules and mores of the place.

The law has us in a quandary. Personally, I'd be much more comfortable with some of the folk on this board being there armed than I am with the ridiculous University Police. When asked "what kind of GLOCK are you carrying?", they usually reply "The black one." You'll see when you get here.

One parking garage has all sorts of security on the safe side of the building, but has open holes on the dangerous side that a mahout could ride a full-grown elephant through, unimpeded. LITERALLY !

Welcome to N'awlins, Dahlin !

leVieux

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    So if one carries when he sees a doctor in the LSU Health Network, he's now a felon?

LOL, if you don't carry, you could be killed, robbed, raped, etc. I would not be surprised if gun carry is a matter of dont' ask, don't tell in and around the Nawlins LSU dental school. God knows why they didn't relocate that facility to somewhere around Baton Rouge after Katrina.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    the ridiculous University Police. When asked "what kind of GLOCK are you carrying?", they usually reply "The black one."

LOL, good one, le vieux. I encountered some LSU cops back in the mid 90's on the main campus. They were a division of the LSP then (?), and gave the impression they knew how to get down to business. Numerous rapes on campus coeds were a huge problem back then. Dunno if they ever caught the perp(s). Maybe budgetary constraints have since then reduced the university to emloying rent-a-guards.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah... don't bash LSU police so much now. They are better equipped, better funded, and better trained than most other agencies in the state. You can't really compare the small city that is LSU now to the 8,000 person campus it was one some of you went through there.

If you want to bash an agency, the least you could do is make sure your facts are straight and you aren't talking about some **** from 20+ years ago :rolleyes:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Relocated to BR

LOL, if you don't carry, you could be killed, robbed, raped, etc. I would not be surprised if gun carry is a matter of dont' ask, don't tell in and around the Nawlins LSU dental school. God knows why they didn't relocate that facility to somewhere around Baton Rouge after Katrina.

Actually they did relocate to a building on GSRI road(not a great neighborhood) and still maintain a clinic there that student rotate through. It wasn't big enough for permanet use and it would be hard to fund a new school building when one is in New Orleans.

I attended in late70s early 80s and began to carry when an armed robbery turned into a murder in the open lot next to the RR tracks. The lot inside the gounds was somewhat safer. 2 instructors were robbed at lunchtime walking down sidewalk and a friend was carjacked in the same lot. Definately be aware of your surroundings at ALL times. I managed to get a reserve comission from the Sheriff's office and I don't know if the campus ban was in effect back in those days. Consequences of ineffective concealment might be tough. I have a friend on the faculty and I'll ask her if she knows what the schools position would be if you were caught. I'll PM you if she has anything to add. I'd stay out of the lot across the street from the school! Good luck in school!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have been to that school, interestingly.. you should carry there regardless of laws.. its pretty bad there.. one thing to note.. nice building except when it was closed down for ever after katrina.. they just turned the lines back on.. after the water had set stagnant for over a year.. no cleaning, no nothing.. not the safest way to do things .. the building out back where the animals were still have bodies in it.. the basement was gross.. each station and all the lines.. no cleaning..

Top Bottom