Concealed carry course - Lafayette, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sambeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    We are pleased to announce that we are hosting concealed carry courses on July 21st, and August 18th. These will be held at our normal location:

C&C Technologies
    1417 Hugh Wallis Road South
    Lafayette, LA 70508

These courses will start at 9am and finish probably some time between 4pm and 5pm. Please let us know if you would like to attend. Please bring a handgun, 50 rounds of ammunition, hearing protection and eye protection. If you are missing some or all of those items, they can be obtained from Barney's for a small fee. We will provide a photocopy of your driver's license, passport photo, fingerprint cards, and proof of training. We will also offer access to a notary, who charges $20 to notarize documents. The course will cost $100 per person.

http://ralph.lafayette.la.us/instructor
    sambeaux2249@gmail.com
    (337) 205-3216

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Have a great day.

Sam Alleman
    LSP Instructor #484

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    You are aware, I presume, that (not too long ago) another instructor in the Lafayette area lost his State Police instructor credentials for teaching an abbreviated course.

LSP regs require this to be a nine hour class.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    You are aware, I presume, that (not too long ago) another instructor in the Lafayette area lost his State Police instructor credentials for teaching an abbreviated course.

I wasn't gonna say anything, being the "new guy" and all. But i didnt think we were allowed to advertise our classes on here either....

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yeah well some of us got blasted for advertising and not being sponsors to the point that if I did not change my avatar I would get my account canceled even though I am a paying member, yet it seems mods only jump with certain people .............

Last edited:

Southland Fi

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Morgan City
    Yeah well some of us got blasted for advertising and not being sponsors to the point that if I did not change my avatar I would get my account canceled even though I am a paying member, yet it seems mods only jump with certain people .............
    I agree with you. That's why I became a site sponsor.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I wasn't gonna say anything, being the "new guy" and all. But i didnt think we were allowed to advertise our classes on here either....
    Good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-1.jpg

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    $$ would be better spent in professional development courses to be able to offer your students a lot more than just the minimum that NRA teaches ....
    Not to be rude or anything, but I'm prior service Army and served in a Combat Arms MOS, start my LEO training in August with a local PD, have taken formal (read, college) courses in the Constitution, Federal, and State law, and have other courses and instructor ratings in the pipeline, timing dependent on funds (I am a college student, after all). Not sure what else I need in order to teach a concealed handun permit course. My students have so far been very satisfied with my level of teaching.

In fact, why dont you come out to my class in August? I would personally really like a "professional" critique of my course and I'm always open to constructive criticism.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    In fact, why dont you come out to my class in August? I would personally really like a "professional" critique of my course and I'm always open to constructive criticism.

Depending on the date I would love to attend I will be in Memphis at Rangemaster getting my Instructor Cert the first week of August but Im sure I can work something out, not to be rude either BUT I was not referring to you personally I can really care less who you are or what you teach. There are PLENTY of guys that should not be teaching the class (that is my point), there are NO Audits so anybody could teach whatever and do it in whatever time they decide for the class to last.

Last edited:

sambeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007

You are absolutely correct, LSP requires 9 hours of instruction. If you've attended any of the meetings with Sgt. Reavis, you'll have heard that they understand that sometimes the material goes faster than other times. My classes tend to be small and it's sometimes hard to stretch the material.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    You are absolutely correct, LSP requires 9 hours of instruction. If you've attended any of the meetings with Sgt. Reavis, you'll have heard that they understand that sometimes the material goes faster than other times. My classes tend to be small and it's sometimes hard to stretch the material.

Wasn't flaming you.

I was at that meeting, and didn't understand his comment to mean "It's OK to plan your course to be 7 or 8 hours." My notes indicated that he understands that a class may, on occasion, wrap up a little early despite our best intentions.

I have a had a couple of classes wrap up ~30 minutes early in the past 6-8 years, usually because the live fire segment moved faster than expected (small class, good shooters who all arrived with plenty of pre-loaded extra mags). But I have never planned for a class to wrap up early.

But hey, that's between you, your students and La. State Police. I was just making sure you knew that this was a very sensitive topic over at LSP HQ a couple of years ago.

Sincere best wishes for a successful class, and many more thereafter. :bigok:

sambeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Wasn't flaming you.

I was at that meeting, and didn't understand his comment to mean "It's OK to plan your course to be 7 or 8 hours." My notes indicated that he understands that a class may, on occasion, wrap up a little early despite our best intentions.

I have a had a couple of classes wrap up ~30 minutes early in the past 6-8 years, usually because the live fire segment moved faster than expected (small class, good shooters who all arrived with plenty of pre-loaded extra mags). But I have never planned for a class to wrap up early.

But hey, that's between you, your students and La. State Police. I was just making sure you knew that this was a very sensitive topic over at LSP HQ a couple of years ago.

Sincere best wishes for a successful class, and many more thereafter. :bigok:

I don't exactly plan them that way. I was just giving an estimate. I taught a course yesterday that ended up running 10 hours. My typical class is very small and they often don't want to take breaks. With breaks, my classes tend to run just over 9 hours. We do the live fire exercises last, and let the students go as soon as they've qualified on the range.

Thanks for the good wishes. My students often complain about having to sit through 9 hours of instruction. I'm thinking about announcing at the beginning of the class that LSP requires 9 hours.

Sam

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    FWIW, I've seen a lot of people come on this board asking stupid questions that make me think "Did they even pay attention in class?" and seen others comment "Did your instructor not go over this?" I don't think anyone could come out of these guys' class that way unless it's their own fault.

I took my class with these folks, and while, yea, I'm on the board here, read a lot, and knew a decent bit before the class, I did find they touched on everything required, and then expanded on the important points of legal situations and made sure things were quite clear. It was never a mad dash to the end of the curriculum, nor was it the bare minimum. They even went so far as to help people realize that you -can- conceal even larger firearms under normal Louisiana summer attire, and that there isn't much excuse NOT to carry. They went over different holster styles to help teach people that's out there as well as having many different firearms, styles, sizes, to help show other options. In addition to teaching the curriculum required by LSP, which they did, they touched on a variety of topics to encourage and support everyone taking the class to not just get their card and feel safe, but to actually actively carry and do so safely.

I know many instructors and have met many more at training classes that we have around here. The class isn't exactly top notch research grade instruction, folks, and there are many people who do a great job. Yes, there are many people who suck. My dad (in Missouri) took a class with a Sheriff of the next county over. Missouri's class requirement is damn near identical to ours. The Sheriff taught them how to shoot beyond the minimum 5 yards, and took them out to 15 yards and 20 yards. He never really touched on the law, and instead chose to knock off after 4 hours. My dad was pretty ignorant of the law, and I had to help him get taught on it, since he's not terribly computer savvy and couldn't look it up as easily as I can.

I'd be perfectly comfortable telling my best friend, family member, or girlfriend to go to these guys if they needed the class. I figure that says enough.

sambeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. We do try to offer the most complete course we can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom