Concealed carry for me & the wife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm looking for a couple of carry guns for the wife and I. I know a lot of people on here love Glocks but I'm not a big Glock fan but could be converted with the right gun. I am looking at the XDs for myself but I would like to find a place in the Lafayette area that I can shoot a few different guns including the XDs before purchasing. I don't have any experience with carry firearms. What other guns can y'all recommend?
    Not sure what to get for the wife. She had a hard time racking the Rugers LC9. May have to go to a revolver but I'd rather not.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Picked up a p238 for the mrs for Xmas. Small, super easy to rack and the sights are worlds better than the kahr and ruger IMO.

Downside is the stock trigger, but I had an aftermarket trigger for the colt mustang installed and a trigger job done and it shoots like a dream.

They also make the p938 which is the same but in 9mm.

Biggest downside is the price.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    She just needs practice. My wife was having a very hard time with the slides on any semi auto, but with practice she got it. It's not a strength issue, it's a technique issue.

My wife has and likes the m&p 9c. She went to that from a s&w 442 which she hated shooting.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    For a place to shoot different guns in Lafayette, check out Barney's. They have a large selection to rent.
    Have her try to rack the slide on what ever you choose. If she is right handed, put her left hand over the top of the slide, with her thumb pointing back at her chest, and punch her right hand forward.

I taught my sister this method and she has no problem with my G19 now

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It is very easy to rack the slide on a Sig P238 but the easiest one I have seen is the Walther PK380 which feels as if it rides on well lubricated ball bearings.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My dad carries a PM9. After picking it up and handling it I'm fairly certain I could see myself carrying it in the near future. It's much smaller than my ruger. I still feel more comfortable with my sr9c though, probably because I've been carrying it for almost a year now.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have a glock 27, if you would like to try it(not sure which caliber you are looking for). Im in Opelousas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a P238 at the beginning of November and it already has to go back to Sig. The firing pin is not returning to the correct position after firing - the lease of which causes the striker plate to fall out. Watch the grip screws - they need blue loctite put on them.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Don't mean to thread-jack, but how many rounds had you put through your sig p238 before it started giving you trouble?

Also, OP:

If you wanna try out the wife's 238, shoot me a pm.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I carry an XDm compact 9 IWB and love it. I'm also wanting an XDs but want to wait for the 9mm version. I should be going to sherburne near the end of this week with a buddy to go shooting and he's bringing his ruger LC9 which he carries. You're more than welcome to meet us there and try them out. Just bring a box of 9mm and you're G2G.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I too have a P238 and thats my BUG to my Sig P229's, I have shot many rounds thru her and I shoot FMJ and JHP's without ANY ISSUES at all.....my daughter is shooting it now as she is deciding on a carry gun as well.......It has served me well and I trust it ALWAYS even so enough to allow my daughter to carry in her car with her.....

KT

Top Bottom