Concealed Carry on Chimes Street?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys I'm probably stupid but I just realized LSU campus butts up against Chimes street and those neighboring business. Would the gun free zone law include The Chimes Restaurant and the other businesses in that immediate area? Let's just agree for a moment we can legally carry inside of a restaurant.

Thanks.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yes they are outside of the gates, but I've read the "Gun Free Zone" includes 1000ft surrounding. I may be wrong. That's why I'm asking for someone more knowledgeable to clarify.

Two things Google has enlightened upon me:

In general, it shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds.

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    R.S. 14:95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

A. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful and shall be defined as possession of any firearm or dangerous weapon, on one's person, at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school sponsored function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school campus.

SOURCE

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wonder what a city map would look like if you colored in a 1000' foot scale circle around every school... wouldn't that cover most of a city? 1000' circle from a school would cover 1/3 of a mile in diameter.
    I've got to be careful walking my dog as half my neighborhood would be illegal to carry in.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Since concealed means concealed I'd really only be concerned if I had to draw and/or fire on someone. No one wants a felony possession charge tacked onto a guy who was just trying to defend himself.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The Leagl Advisor for my Dept. Is off today, so I'll have to talk to her tomorrow.
    The Firearm-free zone staute is L.S.R. 14:95.6
    All state colleges and universitys are Firearm-free zones.
    There are some provisinos in section B, but they are not that clear.
    I'll try and find out more tomorrow.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks I'm anxiously awaiting the verdict.

My prediction is I would be OK inside of a business or private residence but once you step outside onto the sidewalk within 1000ft of the campus you are in violation. There are several apartments within 1000ft of that particular location.

Top Bottom