Concealed Carry Suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikesibley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Need the group's advice. I have a Glock 23, wife has a Glock 19. Since it is summer and not the time for jackets and I like to keep my shirt tucked in, etc. can the group recommend another weapon in at least 9MM or larger that I can conceal covertly maybe with a pocket holster? I have a little Kel tec P32 which works perfectly, but I am concerned with that weapon for two reasons. First I would like something with a little larger bore size at least 9MM, and second, if I keep a round in the chamber, it remains ready to go without benefit of a safety. I don't want to shoot my leg, so is there a small weapon that is maybe a double action or safety that could be used? I have not used the Kel Tec because I have the Glock which I keep in a OWB holster. But in light of the civil unrest these days, I would feel much more comfortable with something that is larger and safe to carry in the summer.

Not very versed in pistols, always have used revolvers in the past so I am still on a learning curve. Your advice would be appreciated.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I personally have a S&W M&P Shield 9mm (Rubber Talon Gun Grips), KAHR CW9, Ruger LC9, Walther PPK/S, and all of them are excellent CCW, I still fall back to my KAHR CW9, because my shield came out first batch and has serial number just over 1,000 and would hate for that to be held up in some police lockup forever. The KAHR is excellent weapon, and i could part with it, if i need to save my life or someone else.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you need an external safety the Shield is a good choice. The Kahr CW9 is the same size as the Shield and the CM9 is smaller and both are good choices without an external safety.

TheUsualSuspect

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Calcasieu Parish
    I've been lugging my G26 in a CrossBreed with no problem. I sometimes forget that it's on me. With that being said it is not ideal, at least in my experience, for t-shirt and shorts (summer carry, whatever). I have no issue carrying with cargos, jeans, slacks, etc., as long as I'm wearing a button down or thicker shirt. I'm 6'3" ~200 lbs and it's very comfy. With that being said, I have to agree with the others and say go with a Shield. My uncle has one that I've handled and that thing is sweeeeet. I prefer the Shield trigger over my FS M&P .45. Nice little gun and I hope that the wife will give me the ok to purchase one next spring. +1 for the Shield... Excellent choice for a CCW. Can't wait to get mine.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I've been lugging my G26 in a CrossBreed with no problem. I sometimes forget that it's on me. With that being said it is not ideal, at least in my experience, for t-shirt and shorts (summer carry, whatever). I have no issue carrying with cargos, jeans, slacks, etc., as long as I'm wearing a button down or thicker shirt. I'm 6'3" ~200 lbs and it's very comfy. With that being said, I have to agree with the others and say go with a Shield. My uncle has one that I've handled and that thing is sweeeeet. I prefer the Shield trigger over my FS M&P .45. Nice little gun and I hope that the wife will give me the ok to purchase one next spring. +1 for the Shield... Excellent choice for a CCW. Can't wait to get mine.

Do you ever carry 26 in crossbreed with shirt tucked in? If so do you notice it print much or if any at all if wearing a tucked in button up? I just ordered on with J and V clips and will be in that situation and curious if you've had any issues. Thanks in advance

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Take a look at the Beretta Nano. I just picked up one to replace my LCP and really like it. One of my friends has the Kahr CM9 and he really likes it. You really need to just go to the stores and find the smallest one that still feels comfortable in your hands.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I have had a lot of different concealed carry guns. The Kahr CM9 has been a good compromise for me. I can truly pocket carry it like I did my Keltec P32. It is in my opinion much easier to carry than the Shield or my G26. But all of the above suggestions are good guns.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Interesting, I hear nothing but bad about the Diamondback.

I talked to a guy I know that carries one. He went on and on about how much he loved it. I asked him if it's reliable and he said "absolutely but it gets a stovepipe every few mags. Other than that it runs like a top."
    Just make sure whoever recommends it knows what reliable actually means.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Try a Sprignfield XDs. I carry 1 in 45 about 60% of the time.
    Almost forget you have it on.
    Very reliable after about 100 rounds, they need a short hone in.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know there are many with different opinions but this is a quote from ONE nationally respected professional.

XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I won't even consider carrying a self defense handgun that does have a safety that needs to be thumbed off.

I know, I'm told, that "with training the thumb safety is never a problem." Except that I've seen plenty of very thoroughly trained competitors (USPSA) who have used 1911 type handguns (one type of handgun with a thumb safety) their whole lives who have had problems with the safety on occasion during a match. It's just one more thing to go wrong under stress to me.

Dave

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Mike, with your caveat of double action or safety, I would recommend either the Ruger LC9 or the small Kahr CM9 (affordable version) or PM9 (less affordable version). The CM9 and LC9 are pretty close on cost, but the Ruger carries +1 than the Kahr stock - there are 7rd mags you can get for the Kahr.

I went through this a few months ago, and selected the CM9. Trigger is long but silky smooth, and unless you're wearing 70's disco tight pants, should be pocketable. Give them a try and see what you like.

I understand the shield isn't quite as pocketable as the Kahr but not sure on the comparison to the Ruger. I haven't actually seen / held a shield in person, so I can't give real experience on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Ever consider a Para LDA carry . Got one and depending on what I wear it works as a nice pocket pistol. Got the standard thumb safety and grip safety. Very smooth trigger and 7+1 mag in .45 apc. Little break in period. Just my 2 cents

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you are afraid of shooting yourself as you say (though that fear may be an impractical one); DA/SA is the way to go!

Peace of mind is a good thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom