Concealed Carry while boating

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    I am in the process of buying my first boat (2006 Tahoe Q4 S/F). It will be used for fishing and fun in lakes and rivers. No offshore. What are the laws of concealed carry while on a boat? Any and all info is appreciated.

Bryan

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    OT point: open carry is legal, except in certain places like schools and courthouses.

Back on topic: If you have a CHP, you can concealed carry anywhere you want, subject to 13 classes of prohibited locations:

1. a law enforcement office,
    2. a detention facility,
    3. a courthouse or courtroom, o
    4. a polling place;
    5. a meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    6. the state capitol building;
    7. any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under
    federal law,
    8. any church,
    9. a parade or demonstration
    10. Class A-General retail permitted
    11. "firearm-free zone"
    12. any private residence, w/o permission
    13. any other property restricted by the property owner

LA law does enshrine your home and car as not Constitutionally able to be regulated, many other Statutes notwithstanding. The argument could therefore be made that your boat is just as much 'your castle' as your car or home. However, I am not aware of any case law to this effect, yet. I do not think there is any statute that specifically addresses this topic.

In short:

Open carry: legal, subject to other laws (like a little known law that prohibits firearms on ACoE lands, even though they allow them anyway in certain areas)

Concealed carry: legal with a permit, subject to other laws

Concealed carry without permit: you are taking a chance. You MIGHT be able to argue that your boat is Constitutionally protected property successfully, you might not.

As always, I am not a lawyer, I have just spent alot of time reading the law and looking for case law.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Just NO bars on the water.. Such as Prop Stop Tin Lisey's (sp) or Blind River bar.. Be careful with alcohol in the boat... Dont Drink Carry and Drive, same rules apply for dwi/dui as if it was asphalt..

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I agree about the laws against dinking and driving, but carry only plays into it as follows:

Open carry- no difference

Concealed carry- legal BAC limit is .05, or your permit is invalid (driving or not).

Basically, if you are CCWing, your legal limit is lower; and you can't go into the bar at all w/o leaving your weapon outside.

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I would imagine that once you get far enough out to not be in LA waters anymore, you would be free to shoot full auto, if you want. But I am not a maritime guru.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Isn't there a distance from when you leave LA waters until you enter international waters? I was thinking while you were in Federal waters the rules were different...

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I believe 3 miles out from the coast is state regulated waters and then up to 13 miles out is US. I forget the exact distance as it's been a while since I dealt with admiralty law.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the responses. You have answered my question well.

Bryan

There are several state Wildlife Management Areas which prohibit firearms, that are accessible by boat. This will apply to concealed or open carry.

La. Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, Enforcement Division, can give you more info.

Top Bottom