Confrontation in the CBD while walking from lunch.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    A female coworker of mine and myself decided to go pick up some lunch at a nearby deli that serves hot plate lunches. We had a fairly long walk ahead of us that ends up being about 10 blocks. It is a walk from St. Charles to Tchopotulis. We have made this walk many times before and while I wouldn't walk it at night, during business hours I have never felt unsafe. Well, until today.

Our walk to the restaurant was uneventful at best. It was hot today so I commented on how hot it was and we chatted about random crap. We went in and got our food to go and started making our walk back. About half a block before we reached the street we turn on, and about only 2 blocks from the restaurant, we passed a kid that appeared out of place. The kid was in bluejeans, beat up shoes, and a blue sweatshirt. The kid had dirty blond hair and his condition made him appear as though he was homeless. The kid looked no older than 16 and even as young as 13, so it caught me off guard that this kid was there sitting on a busy street on a curb, looking homeless, in the middle of a working day. I keep saying the kid because I do not know whether it was male or female. All I knew was that the kid looked very young and had no pronounced features that allowed me to identify his gender. Obviously we just walked by, I didn't look at the kid nor stop or make any gestures, we just passed like we didn't even notice. We took our turn and continued 2 more blocks before we had to stop at an intersection. Once we stopped I felt someone stop close behind to my right side. My coworker was to me left and you could see by her body language she felt someone to her right. I slightly looked to the left to catch what it was in my peripheral and it was the kid we had seen a few minutes ago. The light changed and we crossed the street with the kid right behind and walking with us. I continued to keep this kid in my peripheral vision as we walked and also ran through a few situations that might happen next. Finally after about a block of silence the kid broke it by asking if either of us had the time. My coworkers stopped to check her watch and I told the kid sternly, "No, I do not have the time." He then repeted, "no? you dont have the time?" To which I replied no. My coworker then told the kid the time, it was around 11:35. We then began to walk again and the kid kept on walking with us. However, since we had stopped the kid had now gained ground and was actually walking between the two of us.

As soon as I noticed the kid had separated us I stopped and turned to the kid and asked sternly, "Can I help you?" To which he replied, "I am just walking." I said well if you are just walking then WALK ON. I said it very loudly and demanded he continue to walk. He replied, "Well, aren't you walking to? I am just walking with you two," and he chuckled nervously. At this point I realized we were in a situation that I had gone through in my head but always assumed I would have a weapon on me for. I searched my pockets and all I could come up with were some keys. After another block or so of walking he asked what we had to eat, I looked forward to ignore him and my coworker answered him. He turned and asked me and I said the same as her. Continuing to walk and look over I could notice the look on my coworkers face. She was worried what would be happening next, and I found myself to be in the same predicament. I had to do something or at least prepare for something to happen so I continued to race through my mind on what to do. He continued to walk with us now falling back slightly but staying VERY close, dangerously close to us. A block later he asked us if we liked flowers and held up a flower that he had in his hand. I said no and my coworker says the same and we kept walking. Then we hit another intersection with a light and I realized it was about to escalate. The kid came very close to me and I quickly spun around and stared the kid directly in the eyes and the kid went from chuckling and smiling to very serious. My next move was to yell at the kid to, "WALK ON OR I WOULD USE A MEANS TO DEFEND MYSELF BECAUSE I FELT THREATENED." But before this could happen, my coworker grabbed my arm and yanked me across the street. She said out loud, "come on... keep crossing the street... come on come on."

You could tell she was worried and I honestly wasn't sure what was happening if the kid was still behind us or what. As soon as we got across I turned around again to see that the kid had kept on walking up the street instead of crossing with us. My coworker had diffused the situation right at the point where it could have easily escalated. We chatted for a second about what had just happened and both agreed we honestly didn't know what was going to happen nor what the hell any of that was about. Looking back, the only thing I could have done differently was to actually have had a better means to defend myself if that had been necessary. The carrying of concealed weapons are not allowed at work, but I will be looking to invest in some defensive spray and I will start carrying a pocket knife. I almost feel as though stopping at my car every day to get my gun might be an even better solution but I wouldn't want to scare my coworker with that so I am looking at other options. Honestly, this is the first time anything this close to an altercation with a stranger has ever happened and it has me pretty shaken up. I am glad nothing happened but what could have happened? How would you have handled this situation? What would you have done differently? I would love to hear your responses.

Thanks guys,
    Chris

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I would not have kept walking from I told him to walk on.
    If he stayed then I would have advised him I was going to defend myself.

Of course, being me, I would have fed him to a wall first..............

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I can't believe that you do not carry a pocket knife?! :eek3: I am glad that you are both ok after that long, ballzy encounter.

Get a decent knife to carry on you, ESP if you are going to leave the office to eat out. Policy stops at the door when you leave. They are not responsible for your safety. :twitch:

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I can't believe that you do not carry a pocket knife?! :eek3: I am glad that you are both ok after that long, ballzy encounter.

Get a decent knife to carry on you, ESP if you are going to leave the office to eat out. Policy stops at the door when you leave. They are not responsible for your safety. :twitch:

I actually have a Kershaw Leek on its way to me, should be here tomorrow I think. Either way I don't think I could have used lethal force int his matter, but I don't know for sure.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That was a very tense situation. I felt a little anxious just reading it. It's hard to say what any of us would have done without being there and having no weapons at all. Could you have ducked into a store or restaurant? And why weren't you carrying?

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Probably a space cadet that had no clue what was going on. If you had had a gun would you have shot him? That's what you have to be ready to do if you pull one and the situation get worse. But having one gives you the calm to handle those situations better.

I usually ignore those type of people and so far have made my trips through the CBD and quarter with no problems. Although I put the muzzle of my 38 on the beak of a would be robber about to become a dead man. As I cocked the hammer he said yes sir and moved like Speedy Gonzales. That was about 30 years ago. My one and only really bad situation in the Quarter at night. Glad I didn't have to pull the trigger.

You did good.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Either way I don't think I could have used lethal force int his matter, but I don't know for sure.

The situation could have been different. MUCH worse than a cross-dressing punk kid walking around annoying people. I hate to sound paranoid, but if it could happen...

What if "it" was just the distraction from the REAL thread looking to rob you. Wolves do travel in packs...

As mentioned before, the wolves are getting braver & braver...I am glad that you posted this encounter, and glad that it happened, in a way, because quite possibly, the female companion you were with may have had her eyes opened & learned some valuable stuff from you reflecting on the events. Hell, she may even want to start taking precautions and actions for her own safety, ie. self defense, handgun, shotgun, possibly concealed carry training. That experience may have been a good ice-breaker for someone who does not necessarily have any pistols or decent training with a gun. And could have possibly saved her/your life down the road.

If a certain encounter makes you feel uncomfortable and unable to defend yourself if something more happened, then you should make changes so that you DO feel safer in the real world. I think it is awesome that you are getting some goodies. Gonna have to post some pics of that blade when it shows up! ;)

Last edited:

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Everyone just reiterated exactly how this made me feel. I do plan on making changes to feel safer on a day to day basis. Like many of you stated, it is a good thing that this situation played out the way it did. It better prepared me for these typed of confrontations and helped me to understand how one feels under this sort of pressure. I will post up a few pictures as I get my new gear :)

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Me and my girlfriend have been in similar situations in the past with the weirdos walking too close for comfort. I try to cross the street as soon as possible, or walk out of the way and wait for them to move on. When I'm standing still watching someone walk by I feel I have a lot more ability to react than if I simply continued walking with the freak following behind.

If you're walking and someone matches your speed, you really can't expect him to stop, and speaking directly to the weirdo will most likely just make things worse. Someone like that wants the attention, or is simply too mentally impaired to understand that there's any problem.

I wouldn't be surprised for a second that the "homeless looking kid" actually has a fairly wealthy home to go to with a pair of loser parents. But who knows.

Things like this do make me with I carried some sort of weapon on me at times, and I should look into that sooner than later.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    +1 on feeding him some wall......

+2 on that.
    My self and a date were at a Ray Charles concert. Right In front of us was this ahole that would not leave this other guy alone. The other guy was quite a bit smaller than ahole and didn't want any trouble. I had to break them up 3 times.
    I finely got fed up and started dribbling ahole off the wall like a basketball. He did not leave under his own power, and we drank free the rest of the night.

Conceyted, you'll love your Leek. I have 3 of them. :D

Art

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    :) I just got my Leek tonight. I got an all black Leek. My only problem, and im sure this will soften over time, is that the thumb assist is more like the cut your thumb off button. It is so hard to push that by the time I have pushed the blade out the blade has snapped up to full lock and I am running my thumb over it from the force it took to open. The index assist is perfect though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    At the last gunshow there were some cheap knockoffs of the stabbing pen. I have to admit I was tempted for those times I can't carry even a real knife.

A wall is usually the biggest, best blunt object available. They're hard to carry though.

You mentioned not wanting to stop at your car to get your gun because your coworkers would freak. I bet the one you went to lunch with today wouldn't freak if you carried tomorrow!
    That being said, have you looked at the organizer holsters? Dillon carries a nice one that I've been meaning to order. Downtown no one would notice...

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co.../Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    :) I just got my Leek tonight. I got an all black Leek. My only problem, and im sure this will soften over time, is that the thumb assist is more like the cut your thumb off button. It is so hard to push that by the time I have pushed the blade out the blade has snapped up to full lock and I am running my thumb over it from the force it took to open. The index assist is perfect though.

When the blade is closed, there is a part of the blade that protrudes through the handle. Use that to open your blade. You may want to buy a SMALL torx bit set. Use a #8 tip and loosen blade pivot screw just a hair.

Here is the link to a co. that sells a neat little torx set. Look for torx kit # 1068. Click on Torx Adapters and it will be the 1st kit at the top of the page.

http://www.chapmanmfg.com

Art

Last edited:

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    When the blade is closed, there is a part of the blade that protrudes through the handle. Use that to open your blade. You may want to buy a SMALL torx bit set. Use a #8 tip and loosen blade pivot screw just a hair.

Art

Yep, I just realized that they were torx. Looks like i will be on the hunt for a #8 :)

Top Bottom