Consequences of Carrying When Attacked By a Mob

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone that takes half of the horses**t spouted out here as a rock solid representation of how that person conducts their lives or their morality is, as LSP972 states, coming off as holier-than-thou. I say; they are a phony!

Phony liberalism and the political correctness they are forcing on this nation is the main reason we can't have intelligent conversations about real social problems. So someone lashing out at any race, ethnicity, or Free Shitter in the name of just passing time is actually more refreshing than having to hear phony liberals dance around instances of bald face truth with phony guilt or worse, phony concern for those they claim to want to protect.

I don't want anyone to tell me who I can associate with, who I can hate, or who I must like. I hate all phony liberals. I am sure douchebags somewhere are trying to invent a crime for that too.

Ironic. We can't expect people to conduct themselves in a respectful and direct/honest manner, and anyone who believes or desires the contrary is immediately being dishonest/holier-than-thou?

I guess the key in this particular venue is to stick to discussion about guns, self-defense, and such and simply ignore the particularly silly rhetoric when it comes along...but it's difficult when I feel obligated to speak out against such things.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ironic. We can't expect people to conduct themselves in a respectful and direct/honest manner, and anyone who believes or desires the contrary is immediately being dishonest/holier-than-thou?

I guess the key in this particular venue is to stick to discussion about guns, self-defense, and such and simply ignore the particularly silly rhetoric when it comes along...but it's difficult when I feel obligated to speak out against such things.

Judging by the content of your few posts, I'm assuming you're smart enough to know better than to take the words of random person as "knowing the way in which this site conducts itself".

Hang around long enough and decide for yourself. You'll surely be able to categorize **** talkers, **** walkers and those worth paying attention to ;)

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Sadly that's what the internet has devolved to. I suggest if you want civil conversation about guns you try a place like Gunboards, AK Forum, or ParallaxBill's Milsurpshooter.Net. Most of the folks here on Bayoushooter are up and up decent people. There are just a few low-class loudmouths that think low-class behavior is normal. For a new guy I'd recommend staying off the general discussion forums for a while.

In the past I've had some really bad internet relationships with board members only to meet them in person and discover they're pretty nice people. None of those were the racists on the board though. You can't expect human behavior from them.

Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Right -- I do need to steel myself against the temptation to generalize. There do seem to be some informative posts and okay people here.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

No! That's not it at all! The vast majority of the so called "hate speech" you and the other guy are trying to pin on people is done in jest. I laugh at more of the general discussions about race and disparagement than anything. My-Rifle said it, don't get involved with the general discussions if you get your feelings hurt by someone calling a spade a spade. No pun intended.

I don't know crap about building AR's but I don't assume the guys that say they do are geniuses either. Just the same, I don't assume that a guy making a joke about blacks or fools in general is a bad or immoral person.

You can't make a blanket comment like My-Rifle did, and expect everyone here to roll over and say, hey he's brilliant. Sorry, there are too many smart people mixed in here. Take life with a grain of salt my friend, cause too much sugar makes your teeth rot.;)

Post Edit: And believing too much ******** makes your brain stop functioning.

Last edited:

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Again I'm trying to get LEOs opinions on this.

My questions are: a) are his fears justified, b) is his desire to carry wise given the situation he's concerned about, and c) were my arguments sound?

Sorry I'm not LEO but if this question asked is how I read it, it would be amazing to get a serious answer.

Flash mobs?!?!

When did this become a primary concern for SD? Based solely upon the information posted (and I am sure there is more) he sounds like an idi- ... he sounds like an interesting guy.

This is pure mental masturbation, because the likelihood of a group doing Thriller turning violent sounds far-fetched, but the liabilities of discharging against assailants in a crowded area are pretty high. Yes, it is possible that 67 people all turn hostile simultaneously until dispatched by 8 rounds sent their way, but that likelihood seems unreasonable. More than likely SOME instigators will be amidst a band of jackasses goofing off or who are serious but not physically violent. After 2 deaths and 14 injuries, you have 65 people in court testifying he fired into the crowd of non-violent people because of ONE sketchy person.

I can see a situation where I may discharge a firearm to save my life (and face the consequences mentioned), but if I was anticipating such a situation, this method of preparation is absurd. The better remedy would be a massive tear-gas/OC spray dispenser behind the counter. If a firearm is the solution sought, a pistol is always the wrong answer. The answer is a Rifle. You are screwed either way legally, so you may as well have a better chance of surviving with a louder, more intimidating, larger capacity weapon capable of dispatching more assailants.

I would have given someone a similar talking-to. Nobody should be talked out of exercising their right to protect themselves, but (irrational) fears should be put in check.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    "The Great Saturday Massacre"

Was that when Brannon got it? I must have missed that one. I've been having long periods of 11 hour workdays during which I miss out on the drama here. I wonder if that's when that occurred. <chuckle> Never heard "The Great Saturday Massacre" before.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    "The Great Saturday Massacre"

Was that when Brannon got it? I must have missed that one. I've been having long periods of 11 hour workdays during which I miss out on the drama here. I wonder if that's when that occurred. <chuckle> Never heard "The Great Saturday Massacre" before.

Actually someone has the date in their SIG I think.

It says, "I survived the 2011 Banhammer" or something similar :mamoru:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Sorry I'm not LEO but if this question asked is how I read it, it would be amazing to get a serious answer.

Flash mobs?!?!

When did this become a primary concern for SD? Based solely upon the information posted (and I am sure there is more) he sounds like an idi- ... he sounds like an interesting guy.

This is pure mental masturbation, because the likelihood of a group doing Thriller turning violent sounds far-fetched, but the liabilities of discharging against assailants in a crowded area are pretty high. Yes, it is possible that 67 people all turn hostile simultaneously until dispatched by 8 rounds sent their way, but that likelihood seems unreasonable. More than likely SOME instigators will be amidst a band of jackasses goofing off or who are serious but not physically violent. After 2 deaths and 14 injuries, you have 65 people in court testifying he fired into the crowd of non-violent people because of ONE sketchy person.

I can see a situation where I may discharge a firearm to save my life (and face the consequences mentioned), but if I was anticipating such a situation, this method of preparation is absurd. The better remedy would be a massive tear-gas/OC spray dispenser behind the counter. If a firearm is the solution sought, a pistol is always the wrong answer. The answer is a Rifle. You are screwed either way legally, so you may as well have a better chance of surviving with a louder, more intimidating, larger capacity weapon capable of dispatching more assailants.

I would have given someone a similar talking-to. Nobody should be talked out of exercising their right to protect themselves, but (irrational) fears should be put in check.

Have you not been keeping up with these flash mobs? I'm not worried about them here but if I was in Philly or Illinois I would be pretty concerned to say the least.

Also it is not always about giant mobs of 50+ people. Groups of 4 are just as capable of beating you to death as also shown.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Have you not been keeping up with these flash mobs? I'm not worried about them here but if I was in Philly or Illinois I would be pretty concerned to say the least.

Also it is not always about giant mobs of 50+ people. Groups of 4 are just as capable of beating you to death as also shown.

If there is a specific topic/set of topics I have missed it, so keep that in mind.

That said, if you were in Philly or IL, you should be concerned, because your life officially sucks for being in those dumps, especially w the gun laws of IL.

Also, while I neither know the official quota nor wish to derail this into a definitional discussion, 4 people is NOT considered to be a flash mob, nor is 10. Whatever that magic number is, it certainly falls into "shooting into a crowd" numbers, and rarely are you going to have a unified concensus for violence within those numbers (thus a mix of physicially violent & "active bystanders").

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    A "flash" mob is among other things a large group of people organized using electronic media.

I wouldn't use the term to refer to four guys grabbing someone and beating them up. If it wasn't organized using electronic media, then it's just a garden-variety gang.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Good evening LSP,

I have not forgotten my debt of honor to you. Have you landed on an appropriate act of contrition for me, as yet?

Actually, I owe you 2 now. As I was typing this I got a good belly laugh. Your response was better than the joke. :D

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    No.

It was a couple (or more, I forget now) years ago, when a half dozen or so of the guys pushing that Bug Out Whale nonsense pushed too hard... after repeated requests to cool it, which turned into warnings, also ignored. Of course, there's more to it than that, but the Reader's Digest version will have to suffice. The bottom line is, several knuckleheads with bad attitudes mistook Jeremy's (and Mel's) tolerance, for weakness... and they went away, much to the relief of many of us.

As for Brannon... well, depending on who you talk to, he either got what he richly deserved...

I was wondering why you seemed, well, almost cheerful lately. :)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'm not racist.

I hate all stupid, ignorant, oblivious, self-pitying (to a fault), (unjustifiably) self-entitled people equally. Especially in large, violent groups!

If that happens to coincide with racial, social or economic factors-- well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Whether screwed at birth by a history of oppression, lack of education, or other forces out of their control-- if some managed to overcome and "make it out", they have my admiration; those not making the first freakin' effort to match that feat don't get my pity. (And everyone in between gets a fair shake at a first impression!) And what wonderful parents, to birth children into such a situation! How selfless. Call me crazy, but I still believe kids should be born for their own sake-- not to complete someone else's empty life, or as a result of careless and irresponsible life choices.

But yeah-- mob + CCW = very provocative situation. Don't get into it, run away from it-- good freakin' luck if you have to face it.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    "Hitman" hit the nail on the head with the first reply; a weapon just gives a "victim" one more choice.

I, too carry but practice rarely. I was an excellent pistol shot from ages 10 to 40.

I could field-strip and reassemble a 1911. In less than 10 minutes. By age 12. While blindfolded. With NO tools.

I have fired hundreds of thousands rounds from all sorts of handguns, just not too many recently.

I have "sat through" crimes in progress with .45 in hand; because the situation was better not interfered with, in MY judgement.

Of course, avoiding / evading may usually be the best choice, IF and WHEN possible !

I have also stopped two street crimes with the stern warning: "Don't make me draw my weapon!"

Please, don't tell us that removing anyone's only "last-ditch" lifesaving choice is a wise move ! Don't presume that your brother is stupid, or, that he will make a bad choice.

leVieux

Last edited:

Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, the person in question is planning(?) on carrying a handgun to 'protect' himself against...I'm not even sure what, and he does not have the experience, training, or it looks like emotional state to protect himself properly.

That said, I would be more afraid of throwing this guy a surprise birthday and being shot(half-joke) >.>

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom