Considering adding a Crimson Trace to my XD, need advice please...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Hey guys considering adding a CT laser to my Springfield XD40 subcompact and need some advice from anyone who has used them on this particular platform. There seems to be 2 different ones that will fit this weapon in this size configuration and not sure which to go with. Should I go with the LG-446 which is a grip encompassing setup with the laser on the side:

TLG-446.png
    or should I go with the LG-448 front rail mount style (like the one I have on my wife's Ruger LCP?

TLG-448.png
    Some considerations I need to evaluate in this decision include whether or not my holster I currently use (a Whitehat Maxx Tuck IWB hybrid) has a Kydex that will fit either or both as I plan to keep and continue using this holster so the laser will have to be whatever is available to fit it. However Id also like to know from those of you whove used them on the XD (and other weapons for that matter) what your opinions on them are in each design (pros and cons) Thanks guys I look forward to your input on this subject.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Lasers are something you learn to rely on instead of proper aiming techniques and will likely break when you most need them.

I would (and did) do the following instead of getting a laser.

Buy a SIRT training pistol and shoot every single day. Alternate between close up indoor drills and cover/concealment outdoor drills.

Buy a shitload of ammo and shoot as often as you can.

Take a defensive shooting course.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Appreciate the suggestion Russo, however I am not a Glock guy (never have been, never will be) Ive shot tons of them and they are good guns, they just don't work for me. All the SIRT guns Ive found are based on the Glock 17 and run between 250-400. I do spend a good bit of range time with my weapon and I do also practice drills at home (unloaded of course) so I understand and agree with that suggestion as well.I am looking at using the CT on my EDC and since it is an XD subcompact, I feel the different platform would only add to muscle memory confusion and not benefit me when it comes to my particular weapon. I am also very aware of the lasers shortfalls and peoples tendencies to over rely on them, however I am an open sights guy typically, and just wanted the CT as a secondary backup way of target acquisition.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I would suggest a light instead of a laser. For carry you could use a TLR-3 or APL. It would require a new holster, but infinitely more useful than a laser.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    I have a good Streamlight (handheld) already so I'm set there, besides there is no option for a replacement Kydex sheath for my current holster that will fit the TLR-3 or APL, so I really want to stick with my current setup but as an option, which CT laser would any of you suggest (or do you currently use)?

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I have the grip model on my xd. It works great. The only problem I have is the increase in grip size. It probably increases the thickness by four nickles. A battery and some plastic on each side of the grip. They did not make the rail mounted style when I bought mine. Anyway,the increase is something to think about. Especially if you have small to medium hands,like I do.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    I have the grip model on my xd. It works great. The only problem I have is the increase in grip size. It probably increases the thickness by four nickles. A battery and some plastic on each side of the grip. They did not make the rail mounted style when I bought mine. Anyway,the increase is something to think about. Especially if you have small to medium hands,like I do.

Good to know, appreciate the info. I have relatively larger hands but I would like to actually feel a set on an XD before making my decision.

Top Bottom