Considering dumping my iPhone for a Droid

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yeah, I know- who gives a $hit, right? :o:D

But I was wondering, those of you who have- are you happy you did?

I'm just getting tired of dealing with Apple and all the BS that comes with it- namely, iTunes.

What are some of the best reasons that I should- or shouldn't? :confused:

Thanks.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Lord knows I haven't been the happiest with my iphone, but I think alot of it is Apple & AT&T's network/system. The iphone has it's issues too, but I didn't expect perfection. I had computer geek friends who told me to get the HTC brand smart phone (costs twice as much as iphone) and I wouldn't. I'm not sure I made the smart move or not, time will tell I guess.

Bam Bam

KevinV916

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've had the iphone4 and switched to the Samsung Captivate.

I had all kinds of problems with the IP4.. dropped calls, proximity sensor issues causing me to mute, hit facetime, dialpad, etc. It frustrated me enough for me to change out from iphone (had it since the first one) to the Droid.

With the Droid, I haven't had any dropped calls, no proximity sensor issues.

Droid Pros:
    - Customizable - you can customize your homescreens if you want. You can do widgets (think weather, cameras, photos, contacts, etc), folders, or if you don't want any of that.. just set it up like an iphone with all your app shortcuts (you'll have to manually drag them all there though.. otherwise, there's a app key you hit for all your apps).

- More customizing - You can load different ROMs once they start coming out for the captivate. These include stuff like different UIs, speed fixes, applications, etc.

- Speech to text - Most things can have speech to text working for them. For example.. sending a text message you can just hit the mic, and speak it. In future releases, you're supposed to be able to do "Text Johnny what time are we meeting for lunch".

- Replaceable battery - You can buy spare batteries and swap em out.. on the flip side.. battery life isn't as good as the iphone's. I barely make a workday sometimes. It's not so bad though if you have a desk you can plug it in or car charger.

- screen is nice and big. Not as high pixel density, but it's definitely bigger than iphone 4's. Still too small for me to watch any kind of movies on.. i just like it for reading emails, web, and occasional mindless games.

iphone4 pros:

- It just works.. hard to explain, but stuff just works with iPhones.
    - It's faster (stock captivate has some filesystem issues causing lagging.. there are fixes which require rooting and loading different kernels/patches)
    - more apps (android app store is definitely growing, but developers make more money on the itunes app store)
    - GPS works better.. .supposedly it's a known issue with Samsung but I haven't seen any patches to fix it. Impossible to get a lock indoors with the Captivate.

Anyways, that should give you an idea of my experience. I love the fact that I can actually use the droid as a phone with no problems.. I do find myself doing less with the other stuff on the droid, but at the same time, you can tinker with it if that's your thing.

What would I do if I had to start over? It'd really be either one. All depends on how heavily invested you are in apple's stuff... DRM itunes music can't be played on the android unless you strip off the DRM somehow. I've also got an Ipad so any itunes stuff I had I don't lose.. I can use it there.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I've never owned an IPhone, wouldn't pay extra for each and every app I needed to make the phone useful. I've tried friends IPhones and don't care for them.

I have a Droid (Verizon original) and I'm very happy with it. I haven't paid a cent for applications and the ones I have work just fine.

I've installed the Kindle Reader and use it every day to read with. I also have spare batteries I can use when I've gon it active for 6 or 8 hours.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I haven't paid for any apps on my iphone, and have had no problems, other than the shabby service from at&t in rural areas. I've been happy with my 3gs since I got it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My wife and I have the Motorola Droid and a co-worker and his wife have the HTC EVO. We love our phones. We don't know how we lived without them. They are too convenient with the Internet, GPS, ect. My buddy at work says the same thing about their EVOs. They are very happy with them.

My sister and brother-in-law have iPhones. When we were home we compared iPhones to Droids and they are basically the same phones. The main thing that they pointed out is that AT&T's network sucks ass.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cool....Thanks for all the input. If I do go with a terminator, I'll likely wait until February when my contract is up.....

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I jailbroke my Iphone, and now I can do what I want with it and not deal with Apple. I can use it as a wifi for my laptop and not pay ATT to tether, I have access to all the folders so I can add files, ringtones or whatever for free. F Itunes.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I have both an iPhone 4g, and a droid nexus one. I use the iPhone as my "phone".. the only reason I have the nexus one is because I develop apps, so I needed the droid for that.

I really like the simplicity of the iPhone, Apple usually takes the approach where they try to make the device meet the needs of 80% of people, and screw the rest...Google has tried to make everyone happy... so for me, the droid is just to cumbersome, with too many options.

In addition to that, I like being able to get all my music from one place...plus everything has Apple support... even the treadmills at the gym!

The Google "market place" is pretty lackluster... and they don't even organize the apps by language... so when I'm browsing, I see all sorts of chinese apps and what not?? I mean, WTF google?

So overall, I would have to say if you can deal with AT&T, stick with the iPhone... if you can't go with AT&T, or want to be on the cutting edge, go Droid. They both get the job done!

Aaron

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I jailbroke my Iphone, and now I can do what I want with it and not deal with Apple. I can use it as a wifi for my laptop and not pay ATT to tether, I have access to all the folders so I can add files, ringtones or whatever for free. F Itunes.

This is apparently what I need to do. The $30/month *data plan* is what pisses me off. All I want to be able to do is access wifi wherever I can but AT&T doesn't offer that option for smart phones.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    This is apparently what I need to do. The $30/month *data plan* is what pisses me off. All I want to be able to do is access wifi wherever I can but AT&T doesn't offer that option for smart phones.

They have done away with the "unlimited data" plan and now offer a 200mb plan for $15 @ month and a 2GB plan for $25 IIRC! I dropped my plans off the unlimited and done to the lower plans to save a little money. My phone is on the 2GB plan and the wifes on the 200mb one, saves me $20 @ month.

Bam Bam

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, I know- who gives a $hit, right? :o:D

But I was wondering, those of you who have- are you happy you did?

I'm just getting tired of dealing with Apple and all the BS that comes with it- namely, iTunes.

What are some of the best reasons that I should- or shouldn't? :confused:

Thanks.

That's the number one reason I went to the Droid, no iTunes. I've yet to look for an app on the iPhone I like and find it unavailable for Android, but I'm not an app hog either. Topgunz just changed to the Droid X also you may ask him what he thinks so far.

I'm glad I did and wouldn't go back.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    my iphone

mo0wa86ld39i7ruxuqun.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members