Contractors: "Lousiana One Call" question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I have a plumber scheduled to come replace my sewer line between the house and the city line on Monday. I called to have the lines marked at 2pm Wednesday and was told that the city had two business days to do so, but they never showed up.

Can anyone tell me if the plumber can go ahead Monday or do I have to wait until the city gets around to marking the city line?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'd call the one call number and see what's up. Even if you want to go forward the plumber may not do it as his license is on the line if anything happens. I've gone through this process a few times and they usually are good at marking the lines on time.

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    (5) The excavator or demolisher shall wait at least forty-eight hours, beginning at 7:00 a.m. on the next working day, following notification unless mutually agreed upon and documented by the excavator and operator to extend such time, before commencing any excavation or demolition activity, except in the case of an emergency as defined in the provisions of this Part or if informed by the regional notification center that no operators are to be notified.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    There should be no lines crossing your sewer line and the city connection that you would have to worry about. Your plumber should have told u that or you did not listen.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I'd call the one call number and see what's up. Even if you want to go forward the plumber may not do it as his license is on the line if anything happens. I've gone through this process a few times and they usually are good at marking the lines on time.

Apparently West Monroe isn't. They had all day Thursday and today to come out but they didn't. The public works department is closed on weekends, and the plumber is supposed to be here Monday morning. I called the one call people back and they said that if West Monroe hasn't marked by Monday at 7am (which they won't) that they will call them again but no one can make them come out if they don't want to.

There should be no lines crossing your sewer line and the city connection that you would have to worry about. Your plumber should have told u that or you did not listen.

Yes, actually I did listen quite well. The plumber stated that before he could start I had to call 811 and have the utility companies mark any nearby lines since this is required by law. There may not be anything crossing the sewer line, but there are water and gas lines in the yard that he is going to have to dig a trench through.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    None of this should be your job or responsibilities. If u have a licensed plumber this is totally his job and responsibilities. NOT YOURS.
    Apparently West Monroe isn't. They had all day Thursday and today to come out but they didn't. The public works department is closed on weekends, and the plumber is supposed to be here Monday morning. I called the one call people back and they said that if West Monroe hasn't marked by Monday at 7am (which they won't) that they will call them again but no one can make them come out if they don't want to.

Yes, actually I did listen quite well. The plumber stated that before he could start I had to call 811 and have the utility companies mark any nearby lines since this is required by law. There may not be anything crossing the sewer line, but there are water and gas lines in the yard that he is going to have to dig a trench through.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La

This is most definitely not true! In my neighborhood the sewer main is on the opposite side of the road from my house. The water line, electric, telephone, and cable or on my side of the street. So there are 4 lines that my sewer service line would have to avoid.

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Usually is the plumber who calls and gives address and cross streets,usually mark out area u r excavating .down here they r pretty quick and do mark.but yea no lines crossing is just bad advise.2 days u can dig.would I,no.u bust a line even if marked its some bs.better to air on the side of caution unless it's dire need.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    None of this should be your job or responsibilities. If u have a licensed plumber this is totally his job and responsibilities. NOT YOURS.
    This.

In the past year I've had my yard dug up four times for various projects. Each time the contractor made the call. Red flags are up dumping the 811 call on you.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    It's super easy to either set up an account with them online and make the request or call yourself. It takes less than 10 minutes and you know it actually gets done. Just the fines alone for damaging a utility line during an excavation should be enough motivation for someone to call themselves.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Your plumber should mark his proposed excavation with white paint. The utilities will then locate and mark their interests in and around the area.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Your plumber should mark his proposed excavation with white paint. The utilities will then locate and mark their interests in and around the area.

As I have said before, the plumber told me to call 811. I called 811. The utilities haven't showed up and marked anything. I don't see what part of that is so hard to understand.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    You are free to dig at the time and date the operator gave you when you called. As long as you have your ticket number you are good to go. If the utilities do not show up to mark the location that's on them. Metryshooter is right. Marking the work area with white paint is requested but not required. The operator will ask you where on the property you plan to dig and they mark it according to your directions.
    There is no charge for calling by any party. Usually the contractor doing the digging will call. Unusual that he made you do it though.

Good luck.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I marked the vicinity myself after the people at 811 suggested it. Atmos came and marked yesterday afternoon. AT&T is also on the ticket but all the phone lines in my neighborhood are on poles so I'm not too concerned about that.

I called the plumber and left a message Friday but I haven't heard anything from him.

DynoLa

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Shreveport
    I few years ago I was having a french drain put in. I called the LA One Call number to have them come and mark my lines. The operator at One Call told me to have the contractor make the call because if I do it in my name, I would be responsible for any damage done by not following the marked areas. My contractor told me that "yes" they make the call, They take the responsibility to get it right. Not me.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I had a water main leak. I called 811 and asked them to mark from the water meter to the back of the house. I was more worried about the water and gas since they were ran right next to each other. A day later both the water and gas were marked from the street to the meter. I called 811 again and told them that they were marked incorrectly and had them resubmit the request. A few hours later, I received a call from ATMOS stating that they were not required to go into someone's yard and it was my responsibility if I hit a line. After two days and a 15 minute call, I was no better off than when I started.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom