Conversation at the sporting goods shop over ammo.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I think most people scrambling are "new" owners of "new" caliber weapons. Two people I know bought AR's for the first time in Dec of last year....so buying ammo was a must if they wanted the capability of using it.
    This.

At the range a few weeks back was a guy with his new AR. Had it since Dec and finally found 40 rounds to put through it. He has his bolt action hunting rifles and a shotgun or two but never thought about the AR platform. But the tell was his statement, "The government wants to ban it so that means I have to have one." After putting his 30 rounds downrange saving 10 for 'later' he had this big grin. "Wow! This thing fits me like a glove and is so easy to shoot. I'm going to like this rifle." Another AR convert. Something more to read into it. The hunters are getting it. First the ARs then its their scoped bolt-action "sniper" rifles.

I am in this group. -snip-
    It's all good. We will get through this. Just be patient and the market will level itself out. Reading your post was like the path I took. Very slowly at first but now marksmanship with all arms is my hobby as well as my constitutional right. As you said you are in the camp of those who've had an awakening. Two things will come of this. We in the gun culture will be stronger politically in the future. Also you will plan for when the next crisis of the moment occurs and will be able to ride it out. Oh, and welcome to the shooting sports.

Michael Bane on his Downrange Radio podcast has a name for the change in the demographics of todays gun owner. Gun Culture V2.0. V1.0 was the traditional Dad taking Son to the range, doing a bit of hunting, and kinda maybe doing some formal target shooting. V2.0 is completely different. V2.0 is self defense oriented. Bought his first gun to protect himself and his family. Probably has a carry permit. Possibly competes in IDPA or USPSA.

I've been shooting USPSA for quite a while. Suck at it but a Sunday better spent than weedeating the yard. Anyhow it wasn't all that many years ago if we had 35 shooters we'd go 'Whoo hoo. Big turn out.' Last Sunday at Cajun Action we had 82. Looking around at the faces I found a bunch of what would be called Gun Culture V2.0 shooters. Can't argue with the numbers.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've got 1K to 20K rounds of each caliber I shoot based upon how many guns I have and how much I shoot of each caliber - so no inflated ammo buying here.
    BUT, I just acquired a "sniper rifle" in a new caliber (308) and don't have one round in stock. So I'll prolly end up buying 3-4 inflated-price boxes to get it sighted in with a few rounds stashed for emergency sniper use, lol. Then after the panic subsides I'll get a case of whatever it shoots best and/or components to reload it on the Dillon.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I really havent had that hard of a time finding ammo that I dont reload (I reload .45 and 9mm). I have had no issue finding reloading supplies either. Just have to keep your eyes out for them at different locations. Between Jefferson Gun, Nicks, Cabelas, keeping an eye out on slickguns.com, and a couple sponsors on here (gmshooter especially) I have had no issue finding what I need to shoot. I havent spent much over what it would have cost pre all this mess either minus a couple boxes of .22 that was marked about 50% over.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    How we ROLL here in Lizard Creek:} We like DAT us!

zz2yhvs9fy9zlaqpvxm.jpg

hi2rcx583vzy28wou3f.jpg

g7k9kk32gtd39x85f7jg.jpg

Conversation at the local home go to ammo, gas, smokes, fishing bait and beer shop stay's on the DOWN LOW about ammo availability.

I like it DAT way me!:}

Last edited:

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was in florida this past week and went by a gunshop. Remington golden bullets 525 pack. anyone want to guess price. 125.00 now thats rediculous

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I've got 1K to 20K rounds of each caliber I shoot based upon how many guns I have and how much I shoot of each caliber - so no inflated ammo buying here.
    BUT, I just acquired a "sniper rifle" in a new caliber (308) and don't have one round in stock. So I'll prolly end up buying 3-4 inflated-price boxes to get it sighted in with a few rounds stashed for emergency sniper use, lol. Then after the panic subsides I'll get a case of whatever it shoots best and/or components to reload it on the Dillon.

Last time I was in the Academy on Ambassador in Lafayette they had 308 in stock. Only 1 box per customer though.

Something kinda just hit me.

There are a lot of new gun owners. New to the gun culture I should say. Something to chew on is that these new gun owners don't have the experience of what happened four years ago when BHO was elected the first time. Big run on guns, ammo, reloading components, etc. Within a year things did settle down. But what if you weren't a gun owner, in the gun culture, at that time? You probably had no clue that any of that was happening. Wal-Mart always had Win White Box on the shelf so why stock up. So now the guy who has a gun but depended on just-in-time ammo delivery is in dire straights if he wants to go shooting.

Got a feeling a whole bunch of people just got some education.

I'm like you Dan. You have a gun, you should have several hundred rounds for it stashed away. Even if you're not a hard core shooter out every week you should have a SHTF stash. The Swiss until recently besides being able to bring home your service weapon required you to have 50 rounds for the weapon. The intent was to have a last ditch armed populace in case of invasion.

I'm in this boat. Having only been here 4 years, and only just got into guns in the last 2-3, I had no idea this could happen, so didn't stock up when I had the chance. My wife bought me my 1st handgun at the end of last year for a Christmas/birthday present, and so far have only been able to put 100 rounds through it. Luckily a member here had some 9mm at a good price for sale that I was able to catch, so at least for now I have some ammo to shoot. However finding .357 mag and .38sp for my wifes revolver at a decent price is elusive. Definitely going to start stocking once the craziness stops.

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got a feeling a whole bunch of people just got some education.
    I'm one of these people. I got into firearms in July of last year and fell hard. I learned so much from this site but the one thing I wish I would have learned earlier was that panics like this have happened and will happen. I had a nice supply of ammo for the guns I already had but not enough to keep up my usual range visits. I'm definitely not out of ammo, but I haven't been to the range in over a month. I'm not going to pay panic prices, but I'm also not going to shoot myself out of my supply. I am going to definitely remember this and make sure I'm always prepared in the future.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I'm another "new to caliber." New Glock 21. Really enjoying it.
    I've managed to find enough .45 by looking hard enough.
    Hope the UPS guy doesn't call Homeland Security. :rofl:

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I didn't end up getting into guns until about 6 months ago. Fortunately, I am patient and unwilling to pay ridiculous prices when I know if I shop around I can get it for close to precrazy prices or atleast half the price a lot of people are asking. I currently have a few thousands rounds of 223 for my 2 ARs, about 1000 rounds of 9mm for my XD, and about 1500 rounds for my 74. The most I have paid we as $0.50/round for 223 when I was running low but I ended up finding a case for precrazy prices to get my stash up. I keep finding 9mm at academy and walmart luckily, and the whole reason I got a 74 was the cheap prices of surplus ammo. I'm just trying to point out that its not just new shooters that are running up the prices, but it's the new IMPATIENT shooters. I only check around on the Internet or call around to local shops every once in a while, but I have been able to get almost everything I need at decent prices. It's all about being able to wait for the deals and pulling the trigger any time you see a good one. Now I know that I need to buy any decent priced stuff I can find to deal with times like these.

Top Bottom