Converting my S&W 442 to 9mm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    the taurus 905 moon clips suck from everthing i have seen people say they bend alot and they don't hold the rounds good

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Well, given a preference, I would always take the S&W over the Taurus myself. However, since S&W doesn't make one anymore and we're talking about a revolver as opposed to something that could have feeding issues, I thought I'd point it out in case the OP'er wasn't aware that it was out there. I thought it may meet the requirements of a BUG.

I don't work for Taurus or anything, ;) and I only have one of them myself; a (safe-queen) PT-99 I've had since 1986.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    maybe even 3x as much... :rolleyes:

what kind of problems have you had with Taurus revolvers?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186228696

Personally, cylinder binding

Seen:
    Too Many to list

But what REALLY did it for me was when I was shopping for a 1911 with a rail
    I thought I might be able to change out slot of parts on the Taurus and still save

Went to look at some... Apparently a VERY crooked dovetail and rear site will have no issues getting through their "QC"

Seen taurusses fail in too many classes

LSP makes good points
    Stl like it
    Although I wish there were one of them w/o clips

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Personally, cylinder binding

Seen:
    Too Many to list

But what REALLY did it for me was when I was shopping for a 1911 with a rail
    I thought I might be able to change out slot of parts on the Taurus and still save

Went to look at some... Apparently a VERY crooked dovetail and rear site will have no issues getting through their "QC"

Seen taurusses fail in too many classes

LSP makes good points
    Stl like it
    Although I wish there were one of them w/o clips

fair enough. like I said, I thought it might work but I don't currently own one. I had an 850 or an 851 briefly and had no issues. oh well.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Don't forget the size factor, Charlie. The Taurus snubs I have handled were noticeably larger than a J frame; especially a 'short-window' J-frame produced before S&W went to the new magnum frame size for manufacturing expediency. All M-940s except the last iteration were the 'short-window'; which refers to the size of the frame window (where the cylinder sits).

S&W has proven time and again that they are not afraid to try something new... or re-issue something old. My personal belief on the reason why they have not re-visited the 9mm revolver concept is due to issues with getting them to work reliably over the length of a production run. They got burned on that twice, first with the M-547 and then the M-940.

understood. the one I had briefly was an 851. I also have a couple 638, which was obviously the model for the 851. aside from being heavier than a lead rock because it was all SS, I *thought* it was the same size as the 638, which are Airweights and apparently made of balsa wood. I never really held them up to the light over one another so their may have been a difference in size. :dunno:

PROTECTOR%20MODEL%20851%20.38%20SPL.%20REVOLVER%20IN%20MATTE%20STAINLESS%20STEEL.jpg

Last edited:

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    I currently own a Taurus 905 (9mm snubbie) purchased from a member of this board and have previously owned a S&W 940. I foolishly sold the 940 when I was offered 50% more than what I paid for it. The 905 functions fine as a range gun using 3rd party moonclips from moonclips.com with no problems (some brands of 9mm fit better in the clips than others). My brother-in-law has the gun you are looking for - a S&W 547. A 9mm that does not use moonclips and can be loaded from a speed loader. No, he is not looking to sell.

There are two on gunbroker now
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=185820605

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186510594

Last edited:

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    the 547 is nice they are kind of rare there was 6486 3 inch barrel round butt made and 3784 made with 4 inch barrel square butt

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    Charter Arms made a 9mm revolver before they did not use moon clips the round it used was called a 9mm federal it was rimmed

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Charter Arms made a 9mm revolver before they did not use moon clips the round it used was called a 9mm federal it was rimmed

To this was a dumba$$ idea. The whole benefit to using this system is the moon clips. To remove them from the equation and make it tougher to reload is just dumb.

Have you tried using a revolver that uses moon clips to see if you like it?

If I were you just have you're standard 38 special machined to take moon clips. Order a bunch of clips and load 38 specials using moon clips. Simple.

Dave

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    i find the moon clips work better with shorter cases like 9mm 10mm 45acp and .40 then they do with .38 and .357 when loading your gun the shorter auto cases seem to load and unload faster

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    To this was a dumba$$ idea. The whole benefit to using this system is the moon clips. To remove them from the equation and make it tougher to reload is just dumb.

Have you tried using a revolver that uses moon clips to see if you like it?

If I were you just have you're standard 38 special machined to take moon clips. Order a bunch of clips and load 38 specials using moon clips. Simple.

Dave

I would like a 9mm revolver without moon clips.

As mentioned I have both a 1917 (45ACP) and the 940.

I use speed strips for my .38 and 357 revolvers.
    I've got too many to use speed loaders... too many models.

I'll get one of the non-moonclipped Smiths when I find the right deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom