Convince me please!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Guys!! I m scare to death when I chambered a round in my xd 40 in my holster when I m walking in the mall or something.I m always afraid that it might go off on me and accidentlly shot myslef.how do u guys make sure this not gonna happen to yourselves?? Please please convice me there is no danger at all chambered a round in my holster...thanks!!!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Guns do not "go off". The XD (and most guns) have multiple safeties in place to prevent the pistol from firing with pulling the trigger. If it's in a holster and your finger isn't on the trigger, it will NOT fire. Simple as that. Do you think firearms manufacturers would sell guns if there was ANY chance they would be randomly shooting people in the legs? :rofl:

I remember that feeling when I started carrying though. It'll go away over time. But understand, carrying without a round in the chamber is stupid. You do not want to enter a gunfight with an empty chamber...that's a good way to get yourself killed. You'd be better off leaving the gun at home.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    There are risks whenever a firearm is involved. As far as the XD goes, the grip safety must be depressed and the trigger pulled for it to fire, UNLESS someone has been filing or grinding where they shouldn't, in which case you shouldn't carry it at all.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    sell the gun and get a flashlight instead, lol just kidding. With time comes experience and you will be more comfortable carring it chambered, if not get something with a manual safety if it helps.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Respectfully, no one should convince you. If you are that uncomfortable, you do not have the experience necessary to carry a firearm.

Most people are self-conscious when first carrying concealed, but not to the extent that you describe. You should practice enough and be comfortable enough with your handgun of choice that you will not have those concerns. A good holster is important, but there is no substitute for practice and experience. I am seriously not trying to be negative, but with practice and experience comes comfort with your handgun and holster system.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, if you had a Glock, it would be as simple as racking the slide. If you're whipping out and shooting them cowboy-style, chances are good you probably don't need to rush it like that anyway.

ed7232004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Respectfully, no one should convince you. If you are that uncomfortable, you do not have the experience necessary to carry a firearm.

Most people are self-conscious when first carrying concealed, but not to the extent that you describe. You should practice enough and be comfortable enough with your handgun of choice that you will not have those concerns. A good holster is important, but there is no substitute for practice and experience. I am seriously not trying to be negative, but with practice and experience comes comfort with your handgun and holster system.

i understand that i guess i just need to wait for my chl and choose a good holster to pratice with my gun

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    A bunch of crazy boobs on an internet forum aren't going to change how YOU feel with YOUR gun.

Practice carrying around your home get more acquainted with your pistol.

:)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Are you trying to chamber a round with the gun still in the holster? if so you are asking for trouble, you want to have complete control of the gun and not trust the tension of a holster while you rack the slide.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    More range time is necessary. Get comfortable with the gun.
    Also, while I don't usually suggest this, carry the gun chamber empty for a week. The gun will not release the firing pin on its own. Prove it to yourself.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Buy a packet of snap caps. Carry that around for a while until you are comfortable. I had your concerns when I started CCing. Now it seems natural. Plus you can use the snap caps to practice dry firing and work on trigger control. :D

Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    When your at home unload your gun and practice your draw stroke and reholstering about 1000 times.About every 40 or 50 draws check to see if you inadvertently pulled the trigger when drawing/reholstering.when you do this you will realize that the only way you will have a ND is to pull the trigger.I carry glocks and this drill helped build confidence in myself.Plus I dont know if anyone has told you but if you drop your gun let it fall by trying to catch it you could grab the trigger and have a ND.Always remember the only reliable safety is the one between your ears.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I suggest you get some more training till you feel comfortable knowing more about guns and your Xd in particular. Like NOLATAC says where did you train for your CCW. Guns don't go off in holsters unless your finger is on the trigger while inserting. 3 things train, train, train.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A good, modern, quality firearm does not just GO OFF, without shooter interaction. Use a good holster, be mindful when you place the gun in the holster, and follow the four safety rules like someones life depended on it.

1. All guns are always loaded (until you establish whether they are or not).
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. Keep your gun pointed in a safe direction at all times: on the range, at home, loading, or unloading.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target (and you are ready to shoot).
    4. Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified.
    Get your head wrapped around this and you'll be fine.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can't add anything more than what's already been said, but yes- getting familiarized with your weapon of choice is always a great idea.

Get more training. If you're going to trust it with your life- which is the reason you are of carrying a handgun in the first place- you must be willing to feel comfortable with it- loaded. An empty chamber in the worst case scenario can be fatal. Of course, this is just my take, and you must find what works best for YOU!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom