Corrosive ammo in semi autos??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody here (humid south) shoots surplus 54R through their semi autos?? PSL, SVT 40, Tiger/SVD

I have a PSL that I absolutely cherish... It is in real fine condition and I want to keep it that way for many years to come... I would like to be able to shoot at .19 cents a round but I just cannot bring myself to shoot corrosive through it.....

I'm not worried about bore and gas system, I can take care of that... What concerns me is all the hidden areas and hard to clean spots... That brings me to another point, if the corrosive primers don't harm anything I'm concerned that the water used to clean the corrosive might do just as much damage if it sneaks between rails and receiver, etc....

I cannot really find good answers of other forums because you get a bunch of guys who live in Las Vegas screaming that corrosive is harmless... I would like to know what guys in humid south experience... Thanks

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Warm soapy water should neutralize the salts then make sure to clean up the water and keep her oiled. . Soon I'll be getting a vepr in that caliber, once I get it we will have to meet up. ..

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a PSL as well and although I have never shot corrosive through mine I have fired plenty through my AK74. Cleaning is a bit of a pain, and I pull the whole gun apart each time, and I pour water through most parts as well. Compressed air helps with step two as well. I'm going to start putting gun cleaning oil in a "spritz" bottle so I can spray the guns then wipe them out when done (as opposed to just wiping with oiled rag). Of course I am pretty OCD with my gun cleanings. I have heard several stories of people not doing this at all, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wanting a VEPR BADLY. I JUST missed the last batch that atlantic had.

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    Thanks for the replies....

I have been wanting to get a few PSL/Vepr guys to meet up and have a shoot... That would be awesome...

I am OCD with cleaning also... Even my Non corrosive ammo, I don't leave the range without doing a full bore and gas system cleaning... The warm barrel really makes cleaning easier.... And when I get home, I do it all over again....

I like the idea of the spritz bottle.... I wthought about making a 50/50 ballistol water mix in the spray bottle for inside the receiver and them hard to reach spots if and when I do shoot corrosive...

Another thing that concerns me about shooting surplus is the wear of the rifles finish after all them water baths.... The PSL just has a parked finish... A rough finish at that... It's a nice finish just rough texture wise.... So I know il have to wipe down the finish on the outside and I think it will wear it down over time.... That's how I removed the cosmoline off when I got it, warm dawn water inside and out..... The finish was ugly and dry after... So I keep it wiped down with REM oil or Ballistol (mineral oil) not looking forward to keep wetting down that finish.....

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Thanks for the replies....

I have been wanting to get a few PSL/Vepr guys to meet up and have a shoot... That would be awesome...

I am OCD with cleaning also... Even my Non corrosive ammo, I don't leave the range without doing a full bore and gas system cleaning... The warm barrel really makes cleaning easier.... And when I get home, I do it all over again....

I like the idea of the spritz bottle.... I wthought about making a 50/50 ballistol water mix in the spray bottle for inside the receiver and them hard to reach spots if and when I do shoot corrosive...

Another thing that concerns me about shooting surplus is the wear of the rifles finish after all them water baths.... The PSL just has a parked finish... A rough finish at that... It's a nice finish just rough texture wise.... So I know il have to wipe down the finish on the outside and I think it will wear it down over time.... That's how I removed the cosmoline off when I got it, warm dawn water inside and out..... The finish was ugly and dry after... So I keep it wiped down with REM oil or Ballistol (mineral oil) not looking forward to keep wetting down that finish.....
    Babying a PSL just doesnt sound right... they are meant to be tossed around... maybe another VEPR would be the way for you to go...

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    I do not buy into the notion that just because these rifles were designed to be sunk in the mud and dropped of buildings that, this is how we must treat them to, properly use a Kalashnikov....

We spend 1k plus, not to trash our rifles just because they can take it...but to have the pleasure of owning and firing these amazing weapons and pieces of history....

Yes, I baby the hell out of all my Kalashnikovs because I do not have an armory that will simply issue me another one... I will probly never ever have the money to buy another simply because I was careless with the mint condition one that I have... One the other hand, I do appreciate and love the fact that these weapons do have the ability to handle such abuse, but I will leave that to conscripts and the Taliban not me as a collector...

Not to say I do not dream of owning two of everything 1 to admire and the other to burn through all the nasty ammo it can eat :)

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I do not buy into the notion that just because these rifles were designed to be sunk in the mud and dropped of buildings that, this is how we must treat them to, properly use a Kalashnikov....

We spend 1k plus, not to trash our rifles just because they can take it...but to have the pleasure of owning and firing these amazing weapons and pieces of history....

Yes, I baby the hell out of all my Kalashnikovs because I do not have an armory that will simply issue me another one... I will probly never ever have the money to buy another simply because I was careless with the mint condition one that I have... One the other hand, I do appreciate and love the fact that these weapons do have the ability to handle such abuse, but I will leave that to conscripts and the Taliban not me as a collector...

Not to say I do not dream of owning two of everything 1 to admire and the other to burn through all the nasty ammo it can eat :)

Yea when I get an AR again, I will beat it up but keep it clean, since I am in the ARNG I will treat it like I would my issue weapon... So that means being used to do many things besides shooting... but I will keep it clean and functioning...

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

You come on with a question about how to clean out a gun after shooting corrosive ammo and then go on a tirade about guys who use their rifles as a tool instead of a piece of art??? Really? Not even considering how much you may be destroying your barrel by cleaning it so much (if improperly done), but if you care about the longevity of your dear AK then I would suggest completely forgetting about $0.19/rd and putting some quality rounds down the barrel during range time.

tdawg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I have a PSL, many Mosins, a Mauser and a Tokarev pistol that I shoot nothing but corrosive ammo .
    Never had any rust problems .
    I use 5/1 Ballastol, water mix in a spray bottle.
    Before leaving the range, while the gun is still warm I soak down the bolt face and the bore. Followed by a bore snake a few times.
    I do my regular cleaning when I get home.
    Iv left wet Ballastol on guns for days without any problem.
    When I do get around to cleaning them, the water has evaporated and there is just a lite film of oil left.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    You come on with a question about how to clean out a gun after shooting corrosive ammo and then go on a tirade about guys who use their rifles as a tool instead of a piece of art??? Really? Not even considering how much you may be destroying your barrel by cleaning it so much (if improperly done), but if you care about the longevity of your dear AK then I would suggest completely forgetting about $0.19/rd and putting some quality rounds down the barrel during range time.

this

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    First of all, I didn't ask how to clean corrosive ammo, I was asking what is everyone's experiences with rusting after the cleaning, in our climate....

The problem with internet is you cannot hear emotion in the words spoken... I did not mean for my "tirade" to seem mean or demeaning to anyone.... It's just erks me when people suggest that you have to treat an AK as a tool just because it is an AK.... I tried to post in the beginning that mine is more than a tool to me... I also do not want to miss the boat on cost efficient range time just because I'm not fully informed..

Last edited:

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    I have a PSL, many Mosins, a Mauser and a Tokarev pistol that I shoot nothing but corrosive ammo .
    Never had any rust problems .
    I use 5/1 Ballastol, water mix in a spray bottle.
    Before leaving the range, while the gun is still warm I soak down the bolt face and the bore. Followed by a bore snake a few times.
    I do my regular cleaning when I get home.
    Iv left wet Ballastol on guns for days without any problem.
    When I do get around to cleaning them, the water has evaporated and there is just a lite film of oil left.

Great info... That's what I was hoping for... Makes me feel better hearing this from someone at home rather than in the desert....

Corrosive ammo doesnt scare me... That's all I shoot out the Mosins. I'm just unsure about all the nooks and crannies of the semi...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    First of all, I didn't ask how to clean corrosive ammo, I was asking what is everyone's experiences with rusting after the cleaning, in our climate....

The problem with internet is you cannot hear emotion in the words spoken... I did not mean for my "tirade" to seem mean or demeaning to anyone.... It's just erks me when people suggest that you have to treat an AK as a tool just because it is an AK.... I tried to post in the beginning that mine is more than a tool to me... I also do not want to miss the boat on cost efficient range time just because I'm not fully informed..

Part of the reason why I want a VEPR is because of cheap range time with a semi-auto. They have barrels that are hammer forged and chrome-lined, and they just dont care when you feed them steel ammo... now if you dont want to wear out the barrel look for the slightly older leadcore surplus... I still have about 300 or so rounds of the stuff and it shoots better then steel core, and they dont wear out the barrels as fast... and when you can find it they dont really charge a premium for it...

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    Is the lead core Hungarian?? If I remember correctly the lead core Hungarian or maybe Chicom...

There is a PSL on AKfiles right now.... Check marketplace..

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I was gonna sell mine then I caught my head. It's probably still listed here for $1400 but it looks like new and has 4 mags. Shooting cheap ammo will pay itself off vs. any .308

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Is the lead core Hungarian?? If I remember correctly the lead core Hungarian or maybe Chicom...

No the only leadcore you will find will really be older 40s till 60s Russian surplus, the tins are also very very different you dont use a can opener to open them... I have mine and they are marked 57 if I remember correctly and I have some marked 43 on strippers... They are out of stock but the picture shows you what the tins look like...
    http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1793.html

- - - Updated - - -

No the only leadcore you will find will really be older 40s till 60s Russian surplus, the tins are also very very different you dont use a can opener to open them... I have mine and they are marked 57 if I remember correctly and I have some marked 43 on strippers... They are out of stock but the picture shows you what the tins look like...
    http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1793.html

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Just got an email back from Andrew Smith at Arms of America they expect to have the x54r VEPRS back by the end of the month...

Top Bottom