Cosmoline and chemical tanks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun Justice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    I've been doing research for the easiest cosmoline removal technique for a Mosin Nagant 91/30. The general consensous is to soak it in mineral spirits. Naturally, the barrel is extremely long and difficult to find a proper tank for. I have seen people build a standing tank out of PVC pipe with the bottom sealed. Is this the best way? If not is there something else easier? PVC would most likely be the cheapest, at least I am guessing. What have you guys seen? What are your experiences?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Don't do it. I made one out of PVC to soak a can in. The mineral spirits did something to the cut ends of the PVC pipe and little shards of PVC got everywhere.

JR1572

Cajun Justice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    Is there another sturdy material to make a standing tank out of? I was going to use the cut end of the PVC as the mouth and the uncut end to be the sealed end on the bottom.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a bunch of old gasoline that won't run anything anymore. But it works real well in striping cosmo. I wouldn't smoke while using it though. :)

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    In my past experience hot water and Simple Green will make an ass out of gasoline or mineral spirits. Since it's getting cold outside the garbage bag/sun trick eon't work as well. Try putting the barreled action and stock in the oven at the lowest setting, after it's good and warm scrub it a bit with the hit water and Simple Green. Repeat if necessary.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    I know it sounds crazy, but the best method I have found is to strip the rifle and use boiling water to give it a quick bath or two. (Pour it down the barrel, receiver, etc. )The cosmo melts like Crayon and the metal gets so hot that any water which remains on it evaporates from the heat right before your eyes - it's almost like magic!

After a bath or two of that, what little cosmo that remains (around the sights and such) can easily be removed using traditional method. Note: The bolts/firing pin is a little more of a pain to clean. I even use it on the wood ... it tends to steam out the dings. Note: If there are any cartouch marks or such that you want to save ... all bets are off. Like I said, it sounds nuts, but I have done a dozen or more rifles over the years and never had an problem.

I would like to take credit for inventing this method, but I learned about it from a couple old CMP'ers.

Be sure to wipe down the metal with your favorite "oil" after this process.

YMMV ...

Last edited:

Bassncrap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Arnaudville
    In my past experience hot water and Simple Green will make an ass out of gasoline or mineral spirits. Since it's getting cold outside the garbage bag/sun trick eon't work as well. Try putting the barreled action and stock in the oven at the lowest setting, after it's good and warm scrub it a bit with the hit water and Simple Green. Repeat if necessary.

I also was gona recommend the garbage bag trick. Perhaps maybe. Setting near a fireplace? Even heard of sticking the stock in an oven!!!!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The attic worked well in the summer. I just hung it from a nail and put a paint tray underneath. I tried a wall paper steamer first and it did a good job of getting the first layer off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom