Could use some advice on scope mounts and bases

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Hey y'all I need to pick your brains!!

Just bought a new Savage 11 long range hunter in 308. Since this rifle has the potential to shoot out further than the normal 100 to 200 yards, I want to be rather deliberate about scope mounts and bases - and, I am not going to limit myself by buying cheap stuff.

I'm mounting a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 long range (30mm tube) scope on this rifle so, I am aware that I will have to go with high rings (also, to be considered by which brand you think would work best). The rifle comes with a built in Karsden cheek rest that I think will compensate for the 50mm objective. One of the things I kinda like about this rifle is that it seems to be pretty much ready to go out of the box - I'm only planning on putting a tactical / target bolt handle, camo, and maybe a nice bipod. Not too much else initially.

If you have any ideas (favorites) about which brands, types to look at I would much appreciate input - as well as places to look. I've had pretty good luck with Warne, Vortex, and Burris but, I certainly don't feel beholden to any one brand or type and my experience is limited to being more of a hunter than a range rat although, I do find I'm spending more time at the range.

Lastly, I want to say how much I appreciate and enjoy being a part of Bayou Shooters. I have recently become aware that it's important to let folks know when they are stand-up and good to each other. just sayin.

Marc Price
    Breaux Bridge

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I have had excellent results with Seekins Precision rings and bases on a few different platforms. Contact member Ritten on the site as he is a distributor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom