Counterfiet Model 12 28 gauge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I gotta tell you the whole story; gonna try to keep it brief.

About 1988-1990 my Dad bought a 28 gauge mod. 12 trap for what I recall $1900 (excellant cond). Right off the bat it was my favorite of his collection and as I matured I told him I wanted this gun one day.

Jump to 2008. My Dad had a stroke followed by surgery that left him totally unable to talk, walk, or move his right arm. Thank GOD he regained almost all his physical abilities and was left with only diminished memory and judgement fumctions.

I found out last week that about a month ago he sold the 28 to a lifelong friend of our family who is an avid Winchester collector. The story went something like this:

They happened to meet a a local coffee spot, the conversation turned to guns and the question was posed to my Dad. "What would you take for the 28" (this person has known for decades about the gun), Dad says $1000 and a check is written. Done deal.

I find out about this last weekend and express my disappointment to my Dad reminding him of my desire for the gun. I then call the purchaser and ask him "Would you take your money back for it?" He responds with "I would but its an counterfiet and we been shooting it. I bought a reloader for it and we enjoy shooting it." He proceeds to explain why he believes the gun has been faked. 1. it doesn't have made in New Haven Conn. 2. it doesn't have the circled wp Winchester proof mark 3. the font for the serial numbers is off just a bit between the barrel and receiver.

To the Mod. 12 experts out here. Does this story hold water? I did find some info on fake 28/12's but from looking at my mod 12's and mod. 42 there seems to a great deal of inconsistency on Winchesters part. That or Ive got a couple fake guns in my safe. Some say New Haven, some only say "made in USA". One gun without a rib has the proof mark, another with a rib has none unless the rib is covering the mark.

Until I get to look at the gun again, I am inclined to believe that a person who will take advantage of an elderly man's diminished mental capacities will/can come up with a story to justifiy it. It's not the gun being fake, its the premise under which he bought it; $3000 gun for $1000. Anybody who knows my Dad knows that five years ago he never would have made that deal. If it is a fake then he got exactly what he deserves (karma is a Bitch), however his greatest loss is the RESPECT & FRIENDSHIP of several people. I'm not mad about this as much as I am hurt by the fact that he would do this to my Dad.

Thanks for any clarity you can offer on this gun.
    Kevin

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    If he said he would let you buy it back then do it. Fake or not, it's still a piece of Your history w/your dad.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    That's a kick in the nuts for sure...........have nothing to offer on the original question, trying to learn myself..........Can tell you from experience though...........friends and family will do hate filled things to get what they want from loved ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom