Covington Teens arrested for using guns for school movie props

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl042109mljeweler.f8adbf80.html

Fake rush-hour robbery ends with jeweler, teens arrested

03:06 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Michael Luke / Eyewitness News

COVINGTON, La. – A group of teenagers working on a school project which had them wearing ski masks and carrying weapons ended with arrests when the Covington Police and a sniper responded to the scene of a fake robbery, Covington Police spokesman Capt. Jack West said Tuesday.

Covington P.D.

Officer Steve Reiff holds the SKS assault rifle, a pellet pistol, and the tactical vest. Reiff is the SWAT Team’s sniper that positioned himself with his rifle at the strip mall.

Monday afternoon, Covington Police received a call from a witness saying two teenagers donning ski masks picked up an assault rifle and a pistol out of the trunk of a car and entered Expressions in Gold, a jewelry store, police said. While the witness was on the phone, the teenagers, while inside the store, pointed the weapons at people, who then raised their hands, police said.

Ten Covington Police officers responded to the call, including a SWAT sniper officer, as other officers surrounded the store, police said.

As police were getting into defensive positions, the owner of the jewelry store, Janet Deluca, came out, telling officers that they were making a movie and no robbery was occurring, police said.

Officers asked for the weapons, police said, and were eventually shown the weapons that had been hidden. The pistol turned out to be a pellet gun. The assault rifle, however, was real, though unloaded. One of the participants also was wearing a tactical vest, police said.

The teenagers are students at Covington High School and told officers the video was being made for a school project, police said. Covington Police Department Spokesman Jack West said the school project has to be approved by a board before it can go into production.

Additionally, West said that a city ordinance requires anyone doing a project such as the video must get a permit alerting the police department that it's happening.

Six teenagers involved and the owner of the store were placed under arrest and transported to the Covington Police Department where they were booked and placed in St. Tammany Parish Jail, police said.

One of the teens arrested was a juvenile, police said.

Deluca, 52, was charged with letting a disorderly place, criminal mischief, disturbing the peace and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.

Andrew Deluca, 18, was charged with criminal mischief, disturbing the peace, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, wearing of masks in public places, obstruction of justice, false swearing and unlawful use of body armor.

Neil Blanchard, 17, was charged with criminal mischief, disturbing the peace, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, wearing of masks in public places, obstruction of justice and false swearing.

Julian Candilora , 17, was charged with criminal mischief, disturbing the peace, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, obstruction of justice and false swearing.

Jahir Barros-Lastra, 18, was charged with criminal mischief, disturbing the peace, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, obstruction of justice and false swearing.

Raven Plescia, 17, was charged with criminal mischief, disturbing the peace and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.

All teenagers were released to their parents following their booking.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    sorry, I don't eat/breathe/**** this site. I have a job and a daughter, they come 1st.

Don't take it the wrong way, but those are my priorities.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I could care less if you posted it again. It wasn't derogatory. I just figured if you were interested you would find the other topic and read what others had posted.

I don't lose any money if you post it 100 times.

Feel free to call me an ******* if you want :)

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    This is the only thread I can find on this, but I'll put the story here (I am a personal friend of one of the people arrested).

A group of seniors need to make a film for a senior project in a film class. They want to film a heist, and conveniently one of the students in the group had parents who owned a jewelry store. They close the store and allow the operation to take place. Mid-filming, my friend notices the SWAT van pull up. He runs outside and tells him they are filming, not robbing. They arrest everyone INCLUDING the shop owner who gave them PERMISSION to use the shop for the film.

These kids are being arrested for multiple counts of ******** for filming in someone's store after hours, and the owner is being charged with delinquency of minors or some ****. They are being considered for explusion from school less than two weeks from graduation. Why?

For using an SKS, an airgun, and a ****ing PAINTBALL VEST... not a TACTICAL VEST... a ****ING PAINTBALL VEST... to film a school project with permission from those who own the property.

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    I enjoy making videos myself, but when I make a video about a gunfight or something, the is no way in hell I'm going to use a real firearm, unloaded or not. Go buy some airsoft guns to use in that.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    I enjoy making videos myself, but when I make a video about a gunfight or something, the is no way in hell I'm going to use a real firearm, unloaded or not. Go buy some airsoft guns to use in that.

Don't think it would have mattered in this case. I mean, the kid was wearing a paintball vest, and yet he was charged with wearing a bulletproof vest or some nonsense... so I think they would have been screwed even if they were using fake guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom