Coyote snipers come up empty-handed in Harahan hunt.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Maybe they should be using these

acme-anvil.jpg

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    IN my very limitied coyote hunting experience, these officers are out of their league. Coyotes, expecially ones in wooded areas are very hard to hunt. They have a very good nose, excellent eyesight and hearing. The fact that they learned to avoid traps is proff of that. I have a automatic caller, quivering bunny, etc. The coyote's always circle down wind by several hundred yards and if they get a wiff of human or something not right, they leave. I really got my eyes opened calling from a 16ft box stand in cutover land. I was able to watch coyotes coming out of the woods from 6-700 yds off all circled the caller, the ones that had to cross my scent path turned back as soon as they hit it, the other two came in and stopped about 150yds from the caller. After turning down the volume, and stopping calling all together, they both came in closer, but the one that saw the rabbit actually moved in, the other turned off.
    Perhaps they could contract with a local fishdock or slaughter house and dump meat in one location for a couple weeks, then hunt the meatpile at night.

srscott

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    SWLA
    I agree with you Akajun. I lived out in the desert in Ca. I had a blind up on top of the house, just under the peak next to the swamp cooler. I could only get the 'yotes to come in about 2x per year. Once I shot one, that was it. They would stay well away from the house. Even with the rabbit calls etc. The only time I had alot of fun was the year after alot of rain. First the rain, then lotsa grass etc. grows. then the bunnies do what they do best- population explosion- The 'yote population follows at a slower pace. Once the desert reverts back to normal and the bunnies die off from starvation you get lotsa 'yotes that are super hungry and don't scare off so easily, that year I think I was able to down 4 or 5, but not before they got all the barn cats.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    There's no way they're ever going to eradicate coyotes. These are some very unique predators. When developement "threatens" their natural range, no problem for them. They'll happily improvise and hang right there with you!:p (Which leads to pets going bye-bye, etc...:D)

So I suggest they focus on something a little easier- like controlling the feral hog problem. :chuckles::chuckles:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom