Coyotes in slidell.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Coyotes are survival champions. Started reading up on them after one snatched my 15 year old chihuahua right in front of me. Outskirts of gonzales. went on a killing spree. They get real smart once you start putting pressure on them. Doesn't matter if you are not in close proximity to the woods. That little half trot they seem to mostly be doing, I've read that they can keep that pace for hours and hours without stopping while night prowling. Cover many miles.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've spotted them at the Slidell airport at night, by the Lindberg Glen duck pond, and in Lakewood subdivision, all during nighttime hours, and took a call of a "half-cat" found left behind on a lawn in Lakewood. That's the last three or four years, having never seen them in town before that.

Matthew Courtney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    Lake Charles
    The best solution is to shoot them. In most areas of Louisiana, the downward trajectory from a standing shot on a coyote put the bullet in the ground right behind the coyote after it passes through it. Make sure that you have a safe shot and take it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This is a Coyote Classic (from AZ). About the only way to protect small pets from these jokers is to keep them inside. Or else. :dogkeke:

Yes- they have a fondness of cats.

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    I've spotted them 5 times in Gretna, twice running down my street at night, twice behind my fence on a canal (one day, one night). They sound in groups loudly often right across the canal which is between the canal and Engineers Road. They scare easily from people so far.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I took this bad picture about 2 months ago in Head of Island on the paper route. I was in the store parking lot putting papers together when it came walking across a well lit big parking lot.

Coyote_zps791b7faf.jpg

Last edited:

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Have them (and red fox) in the LSU area. They are very shy and reclusive (which may change with successive generations of cohabitating in suburban areas). I have mixed feelings on the subject.

They don't bother me and we develop into their turf, so I sympathize with their need to survive. More importantly, people's ignorance/foolishness has beckoned them into the neighborhoods: 1. Dogs are pack animals and belong with the pack inside; and 2. "outside cats" are a neighborhood nuisance whose owners are acting as a shitty neighbor, plain and simple. I also believe that small kids should be supervised at all times.

On the other side of the coin, I can fathom these animals becoming more crafty and brazen as the acclimate to humans, necessitating their eradication as they get bolder around kids.

Halcyon00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Gator has a good point, throw out some food an a good pellet gun should pierce the skull. Or a cross bow like someone else said. If it was a small coyote I wouldn't be so interested but this was about the same size maybe a little bigger than that AZ one if I'm judging the wall and that flower bed right. The bigger ones should def be taken out.

Sent from my ball and chain.

CharleyR1

Nitrous is fun
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Laplace area seems to be getting worse. Also, I work at a refinery in Norco and the last 3 weeks have been bad. Seeing a bunch during shift change behind the levee by our docks close to the river. Alot of rabits back there....well, there was

Halcyon00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Lol there was. Just like my area. Was a lot more stray cats. Now very few

Sent from my ball and chain.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    This is a Coyote Classic (from AZ). About the only way to protect small pets from these jokers is to keep them inside. Or else. :dogkeke:

Yes- they have a fondness of cats.

filmed by a husband or boyfriend. I could get my gun and.... nah where's my camera this is awesome.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    They were really close to the house recently. Neighbor got one going after his chickens a few weeks ago. They were howling like crazy a few nights back. I need to build a little blind in the woods and lure them in.

They've massacred the wild rabbits lately that live close that I've always enjoyed watching. I have a big fear of my dogs getting out or them coming over the small fence that keep my dogs in. (doggie door that allows them to be in or out.)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They were really close to the house recently. Neighbor got one going after his chickens a few weeks ago. They were howling like crazy a few nights back. I need to build a little blind in the woods and lure them in.

They've massacred the wild rabbits lately that live close that I've always enjoyed watching. I have a big fear of my dogs getting out or them coming over the small fence that keep my dogs in. (doggie door that allows them to be in or out.)

Whit,

Make a little pen out of chicken wire about 4x4 ft and high enough where a chicken can't jump out and cover it with a screen. Place that in the middle of an open field just near enough to the wood line so that you can see between it and the pen. Throw some chickens in there (they are cheap), and let the yotes get used to seeing them there. After a few days, take the top off. They will eventually kill the chickens, but they will now come back again.

Then you can go get one of those predator calls with the little rabbit tails on the vibrating stick and set that up near the pen. I guarantee they will come back.

If you wait till after the deer season, I will come and set up with you.

Top Bottom