Crabs-Aussie style!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    G'day all. 1 of the things I've really enjoyed as an Aussie now living in La is the abundance, and ease of catching crabs. However, the 1 thing missing for me is the size I'm used to from home. Just thought I'd share some pics of Aussie crabs while I'm back home on holidays.

An Aussie blue crab
    198300_1811748330164_6395184_n.jpg

Yours truly with an Aussie blue
    198168_1811749210186_179339_n.jpg

Our highest rated crab, the mud crab. This is only a small one, they can weigh up to 6-7 pounds!
    198621_1834363095519_236232_n.jpg

Close up of the claws of a small "muddie"
    200145_1834363335525_1711116_n.jpg

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Wow! What brought you here from Australia? Kind of my wife's and I's goal to move there at some point.

You just made me very hungry and the wife has to go to the store before lunch... not cool, brother. not cool.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    With the price of mud crabs here I'd hate to see what a bushel would cost! lol
    I've been in La for about 3 and a half years now. My wife's from there, so moved over to be with her.
    haha, guessing crabs on the menu now? lol

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The crabs look good but what's in the mug?

BTW, obviously they don't have zataran's in Australia, how do they cook them? (I'm allergic to onions so I can't do crab boil and really miss eating crabs!).

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    The mug contains a dark and stormy. Dark rum mixed with ginger beer. As for how we cook them, the most common way is just fill a pot with water, add some salt, bring to a boil and add the crabs. No seasoning added over here.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That sounds... disappointing... You could probably earn a decent living there selling crab boil!

However the beer + rum sounds interesting.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    With the price of mud crabs here I'd hate to see what a bushel would cost! lol
    I've been in La for about 3 and a half years now. My wife's from there, so moved over to be with her.
    haha, guessing crabs on the menu now? lol

It would be on the menu, but, unfortunately, not on the budget.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    That sounds... disappointing... You could probably earn a decent living there selling crab boil!

However the beer + rum sounds interesting.
    I get that reaction a lot when I say we don't use seasoning for cooking like what's used over there. Haven't had any complaints yet when I've served up Aussie food though lol. I think the difference with our seafood at least is ours is naturally a lot saltier to begin with, due to coming from oceanic saltwater, whereas over there it's diluted a lot due to all the freshwater from the Mississippi

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I love the seafood in OZ. I've been through Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, and Melbourne a few times. The people there are fantastic. People in Australia are so outgoing and so nice. I know it's tourist, but I love eating in the restaurants on the water in Darling Harbor. The Ozzie Musbugs are insanely good! They seem to be something between a shrimp and a langoustine. How do y'all cook them? Do you cut them I n half and then grill them?
    Pics look fantastic! I hope i can go fishing next time I'm down there!

Last edited:

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Honestly I've actually never eaten one of our mudbugs. I've always just used them as bait lol.
    Most people I know just boil them, but they're also grilled or barbecued as well. Glad you liked it over here. Moreton bay and balmain bugs are outstanding as well. Funny looking tho, they look like a big crawfish with a squashed head.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I went up from Sydney through Townsville, cairns and port Douglas. And I agree. The people are kind. And funny! I can't wait to go back

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    The mudbugs are crazy looking but have a great taste! Maybe next time I'll be able to explore more and not just fly from city to city. That mud crab looks delicious. Ya'll ever use some Louisiana spice when ya cook em? LOL

Top Bottom