Crawfish !!!!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Who is ready for some crawfish ? Have you had some already ? If so, what did you pay for them ? I myself am ready for them but not at $4 a lb. Got the traps ready just waitin on the water !!! Looks like it's gonna be a late year for wild crawfish this year in the basin !

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Can get them for $100/sack live, or $5/boiled. Haven't had any boiled yet, but had an etouffee last night! Mmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    That's not far off last years price during the peak of the season.
    I ran traps way to many times at $.35 a pound to consider paying a $100 a sack.
    Especially when I can get shrimp for the same price and twice as good!

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Here in town I've seen them at $4.50 a lb boiled, haven't been back to see if the price has changed...No way I would pay that price !!! I saw a video on youtube about an experimental species of crawfish, it's supposed to extend crawfish season up to and just passed the beginning of football season, and yield more meat per pound of crawfish...the video was uploaded back in 2010 !!! Do you have any experience with any of this 3fifty7 ???

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sammy's in Zachary (and I'd figure at their other locations, as well) had them last night 3lbs for $15.95 w/corn & potatoes....Or 5lbs for $25.95 (give or take a few cents). They were good- but aren't as good right now as they're gonna be. A few of them just weren't full... I'm probably going to wait a little while for the next go-round.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here in town I've seen them at $4.50 a lb boiled, haven't been back to see if the price has changed...No way I would pay that price !!! I saw a video on youtube about an experimental species of crawfish, it's supposed to extend crawfish season up to and just passed the beginning of football season, and yield more meat per pound of crawfish...the video was uploaded back in 2010 !!! Do you have any experience with any of this 3fifty7 ???

People have been working on building a better "mousetrap" in the crawfish industry for decades. The "Holy Grail" is an automated picking machine. That would be a game changer, but thye can't seem to perfect it. Now as far as the pricing goes; it is classic supply / demand economics. However, if you are willing to pay $4.00 for live for these things, you are either insane, or have way too much extra money.

The yield is 5 to 1. That means, it takes 5 lbs of whole boiled to get 1 lb of meat. So at $4.50 pound whole boiled; you are paying $22.50 lb for meat! And that's before your labor! If you boil them yourself at those prices, it is more like $30.00 lb.

I like these like the next guy, but really?

As long as the demand continues to increase (Louisiana never produces enough (mostly for the live market), in a single year to cover demand here in the U.S.). Now the Canadians are starting to fancy them. You folks should get used to paying alot for them.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Emperor, obviously you have never had a crawfish craving! When I get one I will pay any price. I do feel ripped off paying the prices in the restaurants around town but its not so bad going to Tonys and getting a bag boiled there to eat at home.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There is an Iphone App called Crawfish Man that will tell you the prices of the cheapest crawfish in your area. Works well in the BR area, but have heard not so well in others. It's free, try it, saved me 1oo bucks last year

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Emperor, obviously you have never had a crawfish craving! When I get one I will pay any price. I do feel ripped off paying the prices in the restaurants around town but its not so bad going to Tonys and getting a bag boiled there to eat at home.

You just had to mention Tony's, didn't you.....Now I'm having withdrawals for Tony's crawfish. #%@&!

:dogkeke:

(Yeah- it really doesn't get much better than Tony's.)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I love me some craw daddy's, but $4/lb is insane. The last time I bought crawfish was last year around may. I paid $1.80/lb boiled and I moaned and groaned about paying that.

As much as I love crawfish, my appetite for trout is far superior. Off to the lake I go!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I saw them at Restaurant Depot in New Orleans last week for $2.84 @ lb live by the sack. They were small but it is early.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    In the swamp today on a quick little scout/squirrel huntin trip, saw some baby crawfish just off the tail in puddles all through the woods....Great sign, now only if the water would show up early !!!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Just plain ole rice field crawfish around here.
    We got out of the business a few years back. An automated peeler would be an impressive feat. There is a guy who owns some property that borders ours who is a bit of a tinkerer. He has been working on something for a couple years now. It reduces over half the labor in pealing but is still a ways away from where he wants it to be.

cow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I paid about $17 for 3lbs boiled with corn & potatoes last week in Bossier City. The good ones were good, but there were far too many "dead" or questionable ones. I was happy I went, but was left wanting. I'll probably go somewhere else soon. I always think it would be nice to have them in winter (favorite time of year), so it was nice to find out it was an option.

Top Bottom