CRAZY true story with hypthetical question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    Around 1999 I lived at 5460 Canal Blvd in NOLA. Me and my girlfriend at the time left at around 6pm to go to dinner. Upon arrival at our residence from dinner, I put the key in the door, opened it and someone had put the chain lock on the door from the inside-at this point I knew someone had broken into my house. I had no firearms at this time so I entered the residence, like an idiot with a 2x4 and cleared the house room by room. After not finding anything missing or anyone home, we stopped worrying about it and started watching a movie.
    While sitting on the sofa, I noticed the pull down attic door was partially open, so I grabbed a flashlight and went into the attic and in the darkness a man jumped on me. After a brief struggle, I wrestled him off me and jumped out of the attic and closed the door. We ran out the house, called the police. The police arrived about ten minutes later!. The guy kicked his way out of the attic on top the roof and jumped to the roof next door where he was cornered by me and my friends and then arrested. The guy turned out to be the son of the owner of Venezia's rest. and not much happened to him.

He scared me so bad I probably would have shot him in the attic. Would that have been justified?

It took me a year to go back to sleep after that also. It messed with my head for awhile. 100% true story.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It depends on what you mean by "justified". Under current law you would be completely within the law to shoot and kill this intruder in your home. Even in 1999 you would very likely to have been found acting in self defense, as you do not have a duty to retreat in Louisiana. But both then and now you would end up in a world of crap, dealing with the civil litigation and emotional aspects of having killed a
    person when you easily could have avoided doing so.

I assume you meant "legally justified", as in not being found guilty of a homicicide, but I wanted to point out hat there is a lot more to the decision to use deadly force.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I don't see where he would have been guilty in civil court either. BG breaks into his home. He confronts BG in his attic. BG attacks him. He shoots BG in self defense. Pretty cut and dry to me.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It depends on what you mean by "justified". Under current law you would be completely within the law to shoot and kill this intruder in your home. Even in 1999 you would very likely to have been found acting in self defense, as you do not have a duty to retreat in Louisiana. But both then and now you would end up in a world of crap, dealing with the civil litigation and emotional aspects of having killed a
    person when you easily could have avoided doing so

I assume you meant "legally justified", as in not being found guilty of a homicicide, but I wanted to point out hat there is a lot more to the decision to use deadly force.

I don't see how he could have easily avoided it. What if the guy was armed or got the upper hand when they were wrestling? He was lucky that the guy was just some chump.

As for shooting someone legally, if they're in your house, you can whack them. You can even shoot them in the back. You don't know what they're intent is or if they are armed, so it is most definitely self defense.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I would have called the LEO before entering the house when you realized that someone was inside because the chain latch was on. I can see it now, you're in court for offing the guy and they ask you why did you go in when you realized someone was more than likely inside? They mighta got you on that one.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Say they did call the cops before entering the house and the BG did a great job of hiding and the cops did a poor job of searching.

He still gets jumped later by aforementioned BG.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    person when you easily could have avoided doing so.

He would have been 100% justified in shooting the intruder. Also, there is a law on the books now that prevents any civil suits if the DA doesn't press charges. So if you are justified in a self-defense shooting, you are immune to any civil law suits related to the case.

You are correct about dealing with emotional aspects though, but I'd much rather deal emotionally with shooting a criminal than deal with my family being harmed. I'd bet if you ask anyone who has ever resorted to deadly force to protect themselves and/or their loved ones, none of them would regret what happened.

Bottom line is, if someone is in your home, they are a threat. DO NOT HESITATE to do whatever is necessary to protect yourself. You should be focused on your front sight, not civil suits and emotional stress.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is the law you are referring to:

§2800.19. Limitation of liability for use of force in defense of certain crimes

A. A person who uses reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence for the purpose of preventing a forcible offense against the person or his property in accordance with R.S. 14:19 or 20 is immune from civil action for the use of reasonable and apparently necessary or deadly force or violence.

B. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses to the defendant in any civil action if the court finds that the defendant is immune from suit in accordance with Subsection A of this Section.

And it does not "prevent any civil suits". It does state that the court shall award reasonable attorney fees, etc., if the court finds that the defendant is immune....
    So you pay your attorney to defend the civil suit, and if you win, you can get an award, or judgment against the plaintiff for your costs. Then what? I'm guessing that the plaintiff is not likely to be someone with adequate assets to enforce your judgment.

As for the emotional aspects, if I ever need to use force to defend myself or others, there is no question that this is not of concern. In the case at hand, he could have, and did eventually, call the cops.

The point is that a shooting can be 100% legally justifiable, and still cause you a great deal of problems. I personally would not want to deal with the aftermath of killing someone in my attic. If I get home in the afternoon and there are signs that someone is in my house, I can legally go in to investigate and pretty much shoot any intruders. I highly recommend against that course of action.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't see where he would have been guilty in civil court either. BG breaks into his home. He confronts BG in his attic. BG attacks him. He shoots BG in self defense. Pretty cut and dry to me.

I'm not saying he would lose in a civil trial. See the above post. I'm just saying that he would be better off in the long run by leaving and calling the cops. Which is what eventually happened anyway.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Say they did call the cops before entering the house and the BG did a great job of hiding and the cops did a poor job of searching.

He still gets jumped later by aforementioned BG.

And if my aunt had a **** she'd be my uncle.

Seriously, that would be a different situation. The point is that it may be wiser to avoid a confrontation if you can. If you cannot, then it is a completely different scenario.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    In that particular situation in MY home, the guy would have been shot. Hindsight is 20/20. and it ended well for him this time. But at the time you do not know that, or much else. I wouldn't risk it.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I would have called the LEO before entering the house when you realized that someone was inside because the chain latch was on. I can see it now, you're in court for offing the guy and they ask you why did you go in when you realized someone was more than likely inside? They mighta got you on that one.

How about "Because it's MY F****** HOUSE."

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Can I call you Hacksaw Jim....

hacksaw.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Reminds me of the joke about the guy robbing a convenience store with a 2x4.

Bad Guy goes up to clerk with a 2x4 in hand and tells him to empty the register. The clerk said man you can’t rob nobody with a 2x4! The BG commences to beat the clerk severely with the 2x4. Clerk shaking and bleeding reaches into the register and empties out the tray. BG turns to walk out and the clerk says wait a minute. The clerk then reaches under the tray and gives the BG the hundred dollar bills from underneath and tells BG go buy yourself a gun….you’re going to kill someone with that 2x4!

Glad you and your family ended up okay, and glad you have a gun now for protection.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You're a lucky guy....Thank God you got broken into by a idiotic spoiled brat (from what it sounds like). He's very lucky, as well. That's a very dangerous game he chose to play.....

Top Bottom