Credit Card account theft

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I had made a post 1 or 2 months age which revealed a vendor I had done business with. Someone then warned me to check my credit card account as the vendor had been hacked and he had 1 or more fraudulent charges to his account. I checked my account and all was OK. Today I got a phone call from the fraud division of my credit card company telling me they had received 4 charges of about $400.00 each at a Kohls Department store in Chicago. Obviously that was not me. They immediately closed my account but I have to contact my credit card company on Monday to contest the charges on my account.

If anyone call recall the vendor that got hacked, please repeat that information for the benefit of everyone on this board.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    These data breaches are becoming common place nowadays. Wendy's, CICis Pizza, Target, Home Depot just to name a few. More recently we have seen them at the local mom and pop stores that use off the shelf CC processing on a non-dedicated machine contaminated by malware often emailed and disguised as some sort of business related attachment.

Best form of prevention is to USE A CREDIT CARD OR CASH. NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD FOR A POS OR ONLINE TRANSACTION. Credit cards aren't your money, debit card are. You will likely get repaid down the line, but why be out any money at all?!!

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Yup, I don't even know my pin number. Everything is run as a credit. If I need cash, I just go to the bank and cash a check.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I got hit a few months ago but they were on Walmart dot com buying $200 gift cards. I'm glad the fraud department of Chase caught on quick. It was over the 3 digit code on the back that tripped them up. People need to be very careful where they use the card and hope it doesn't happen to them.
    I had made a post 1 or 2 months age which revealed a vendor I had done business with. Someone then warned me to check my credit card account as the vendor had been hacked and he had 1 or more fraudulent charges to his account. I checked my account and all was OK. Today I got a phone call from the fraud division of my credit card company telling me they had received 4 charges of about $400.00 each at a Kohls Department store in Chicago. Obviously that was not me. They immediately closed my account but I have to contact my credit card company on Monday to contest the charges on my account.

If anyone call recall the vendor that got hacked, please repeat that information for the benefit of everyone on this board.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Last year, someone hit my debit card for $2,500 in transactions run as "credit" and it took three weeks to get my money back. After that, I vowed to use credit cards only. Well, two months ago, someone tried to give a Lyft driver a $530 tip, so that credit card was compromised and caught by the automatic fraud detection. I'm still dealing with the fallout of the auto-pays associated with it. Regardless, I would rather deal with someone hijacking my credit card than someone pulling $2,500 out of my bank account before I pay the house and car notes.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Best form of prevention is to USE A CREDIT CARD OR CASH. NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD FOR A POS OR ONLINE TRANSACTION. Credit cards aren't your money, debit card are. You will likely get repaid down the line, but why be out any money at all?!!

100% Best advice ever! I learned the hard way many years ago it is a PITA to get funds back from the bank. Credit cards companies make it so easy.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Last year, someone hit my debit card for $2,500 in transactions run as "credit" and it took three weeks to get my money back. After that, I vowed to use credit cards only. Well, two months ago, someone tried to give a Lyft driver a $530 tip, so that credit card was compromised and caught by the automatic fraud detection. I'm still dealing with the fallout of the auto-pays associated with it. Regardless, I would rather deal with someone hijacking my credit card than someone pulling $2,500 out of my bank account before I pay the house and car notes.

I have one credit card for monthly auto draft payments and another card for everyday shopping and online ordering.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I only use my credit cards, they are a lot quicker to take off those charges since it's their money not mine that is being stolen... I don't even know where my debit card is. If they don't take cash or one of the various credit card vendors I use, they more than likely won't take debit either.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I only use my credit cards, they are a lot quicker to take off those charges since it's their money not mine that is being stolen... I don't even know where my debit card is. If they don't take cash or one of the various credit card vendors I use, they more than likely won't take debit either.

+1 here. I have a debit card but have never used it once. CCs much safer. Plus if you pay it off every month, 2% back on all of my purchases. No annual membership/service fee either. I charge EVERYTHING I possibly can to my CCs.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I had an odd breach a few months ago. Some online facility where I had a an account matched the email accounts to something else and ended up getting ebay passwords the same to work. They immediately bought a few hundred apple cards. well, ebay was linked to my credit cards , the credit card was pre payed only for security. Well, I at one time had paypal setup to fall back to my neighbors bank account. which had money in it.. neighbors gave it back immediately after a call..
    paypal account is now 2 step authentication as well as accounts are not linked anymore..

Top Bottom