Crispy Fried Catfish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Late yesterday afternoon after it cooled down to a nice 93 degrees in the shade I did a little frying outside in the little T-Fal fryer. I had cut some catfish fillets into nuggets and set in the fridge in a yellow mustard bath and when ready to cook I battered them just before frying the French fries. I also whipped up a little homemade cole slaw dressing for cole slaw.

Fries done

DSC09470.jpg

Some of the fish

DSC09474.jpg

Time to make a plate. There used to be someone who hated my stainless condiment cups so for them I decided to use one for some ketchup. Lol.....

DSC09475.jpg

Fish was REALLY delicious!

DSC09477.jpg

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Try it! I usually mix yellow mustard with beer and it's a bit thinner but with just the yellow mustard it's more viscous and holds the dry breading/batter better which in turn made for the crispiness of it this time. You don't really taste the yellow mustard though.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Last couple of times I fired catfish, I used condensed milk and egg to soak the fish. Worked great. Came out crispy. Never did care for the mustard thing. Sure does look good. My hoop net did good this spring. Between me and my brother in law, we caught 70 or 80 pounds of fillets.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'm very interested in this.... So the eggs stay together when you batter and fry them? Only sac a lait eggs or all fish eggs?
    (I cleaned all my fish from this weekend yesterday. Wish I would have heard of this sooner.)

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    The eggs are in a little sack, that you should be able to pull out intact... I've done bass and sac-a-lait, bream are too small and not really worth dealing with. I've heard gar eggs are posioness. I'm pretty sure we've done catfish, my wife and daughter says we have.

I don't go salt water fishing much, so I can't help there.

P.S. Sorry I hijacked...

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    The eggs are in a little sack, that you should be able to pull out intact... I've done bass and sac-a-lait, bream are too small and not really worth dealing with. I've heard gar eggs are posioness. I'm pretty sure we've done catfish, my wife and daughter says we have.

I don't go salt water fishing much, so I can't help there.

P.S. Sorry I hijacked...

Thank you for the info, I will try it. Yes gar eggs will get you sick. Next weekend is mustard fried fish, tails and fried fish eggs (hopefully get a bunch of females!!)

+1 on the thread hijacking.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom