Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk Air Rifle and Crosman Raven

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Houma, Louisiana
    I recently purchased the Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk and Crossman Raven. I have never personally owned any spring or gas piston air rifles so my reviews and comments are simple based on other firearm experience and expected performance for the prices of the products.

I received the .22 cal Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk (CNVD) unpacked the rifle, scanned through the attached information and owner’s manuals. I loaded a 14 grain pellet walked onto the porch and fired. It was about as loud as a .22 LR so I am sure some dieseling occurred. I then went back inside to mount the included scope. The rings on the scope were not tightened down. I am assuming that this is so eye relief can be adjusted. I attached the scope to the rail tightened it down, adjusted the scope position to the desired eye relief, and tightened down the scope rings. The scope while not top of the line did provide a clear image. For the ranges that the air rifle will be effective I think the scope will be more than adequate. We will see if it can maintain usability on an air rifle over time. After mounting the scope I walked onto the back porch and fired 10 rounds at a 1' x 1' wooden target 35 yards out. With the scope on 4 power I could easily see the impact and where the shots were hitting the target. All shots were slightly left and low of point of aim. They would all fit in a 6" circle. With each shot the rifle got a little quieter however none were nearly as loud as the initial shot. The rifle was hitting the target with a solid sound. So far I am very impressed with the power and accuracy of this rifle. The gas piston didn't jump much at all and it was no problem for me to cock. I am hoping that with additional shooting that the accuracy improves. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will have a chance to do some more shooting with the gun and report back accuracy and consistency on the chronograph.

With the .177 cal Raven (springer) I fired 7 grain pellets. The first shot was a little loud but not bad. The rifle jumps around a lot more than the CNVD. You can feel the spring moving about when fired. I fired 10 shots at the same 1' x 1' wooden target and each time the report of a solid hit was heard. It has open sights and I didn't bother walking of the porch to see where on the target I was hitting. I was just impressed that it consistently hit the target. You could definitely tell that it was not hitting with anywhere close to the same force as the CNVD. I plan on firing more rounds and checking accuracy and chronograph speeds later this month.

Both rifles are plastic feeling if not actually plastic. The CNVD stock feels solid enough for the action of cock and loading the gun. The Raven less so but doesn’t require nearly as much force to cock. Over all I am impressed with their performance for the price point. I hope that hold true after checking consistency and accuracy with a few hundred rounds.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I bought the nitro venom for my son for Christmas of 2011. After an easy 1000 rounds it is still shooting great and the included scope is just fine. The best improvement was replacing the horrible factory trigger with this one http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III Trigger New.htm. Trigger pull is very light and crisp now making it much more accurate.

Top Bottom