crown and threading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hatred

Sic vis pacem para bellum
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Denham Springs/Baton Rouge
    Just got a new Remington 700 and was wondering about having it crowned and threaded. Can it be threaded and crowned, or just one or the other? I already have the factory thread protector.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    sure can, you just have to make sure to get the crown far enough back so it doesn't interfere with the threads or thread protector, assuming you just want it threaded so you can put the thread protector on.

crown_zpsnocrzelz.png

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Most good smiths will thread the barrel and then recrown it so that they remove the marks in the barrel from the live center used during threading.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just got a new Remington 700 and was wondering about having it crowned and threaded. Can it be threaded and crowned, or just one or the other? I already have the factory thread protector.

Can it be crowned and threaded? Yes.

If you have a factory thread protector, is your barrel already threaded and you want to re-crown it?
    Or, are you cutting the barrel down and need to thread and re-crown it?

hatred

Sic vis pacem para bellum
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Denham Springs/Baton Rouge
    Can it be crowned and threaded? Yes.

If you have a factory thread protector, is your barrel already threaded and you want to re-crown it?
    Or, are you cutting the barrel down and need to thread and re-crown it?

It's not threaded at the moment. Bought the protector and read some articles on crowning so I'm trying to see if there is a benefit to the crowning also.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's not threaded at the moment. Bought the protector and read some articles on crowning so I'm trying to see if there is a benefit to the crowning also.

A crown is just a small chamfer. Every barrel will be crowned, as mentioned above, to remove any tool marks/burrs. It's like reaming a hole to get all the imperfections out. The barrel is crowned from the factory, although it may not be as dramatic as some aftermarket crowns.

Edit -

Bring it to a competent gunsmith and he will let you know what you have to do.

Top Bottom