Current military cellphone / mobile policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    the term privacy, has a different meaning, than it did, when I was a child.
    Cell phones and cameras are everywhere. in the past, if you tripped, on a object, you were looking to see if anyone laughed. Today that same trip can have you labeled worldwide, and earn money on youtube if it has enough hits.

How does the military handles the recording / broadcasting of data? If someone develops new software for a drone. couldn't a airman / soldier, video tape, a monitor and share it?
    The same goes for a plane's top speed, turning radius's, a submarine's location, missile launch codes, people entering confidential areas. The list is endless.

Is the military, Jamming cell signals, in certain areas? how is secrecy managed?

Last edited:

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    the term privacy, has a different meaning, than it did, when I was a child.
    Cell phones and cameras are everywhere. in the past, if you tripped, on a object, you were looking to see if anyone laughed. Today that same trip can have you labeled worldwide, and earn money on youtube if it has enough hits.

How does the military handles the recording / broadcasting of data? If someone develops new software for a drone. couldn't a airman / soldier, video tape, a monitor and share it?
    The same goes for a plane's top speed, turning radius's, a submarine's location, missile launch codes, people entering confidential areas. The list is endless.

Is the military, Jamming cell signals, in certain areas? how is secrecy managed?
    Portable electronics are not allowed in secure areas. Any furthur discussion of security measures on a public forum is not a good idea.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    retracted.

No one's going to give you a 101 on that on a forum dude - if you cant find it on google, use your imagination. There is honestly no legitimate reason you need that information. If you did, it would be provided to you from the source.

At Holloman AFB (summer '91) they debuted the F117A to the base before the general public (winter '92 or '93 iirc). I recall a gentleman taking a photograph and being wrestled to the ground and having his camera confiscated. I was 9 at the time, but I don't imagine that things have changed all that much in terms of playing stupid games and winning applicable prizes.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    59693960.jpg

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Just go to your nearest military instillation with your homemade drone and ask them, I'm sure NCIS/DCIS/ACID would be glad to discuss it with you. Be sure to tell them you are especially interested in exclusion areas. :rolleyes::doh:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    As a veteran that hasn't been on a facility in years, i was wondering how we protect ourselves.
    Other than a blue angels airshow, or my local VA clinic, I doubt I'll be visiting any type of military / government areas.

I questioned it, because I was watching videos of AC130s, and ran across various cockpit pictures. In the 80s & 90s, bringing a camera on the flight line was a no no.
    that got me thinking about all of the teeny bopping, social media generation, and their selfies.

I have no intent to challenge US security.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I showed this thread to my son, who is active duty Navy and has a security clearance as part of his MOS who just happens to be home on leave. He said opsec is stirctly enforced on his ship. No pics in sensitive areas and of sensitive equipment. Those that violate opsec are subject to Non-judicial Punishment and loss of clearance, which results in loss of rate for his MOS, as clearance is required. They take pics on ship but everyone knows the limitations and they are pounded constantly about opsec along with the other hot-button military issues like sexual assault and suicide.

ETA: Considering that China just hacked the federal LE background check database and they already have obtained most of the data on the X35JSF before it is fully rolled out, I hardly think the selfie generation members serving in the military are our issue. Just an observation.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In some locations there are even further restrictions on possession of electronic devices on sensitive installations. There are devices in the same form factor as an iPhone that can sense and record wireline communications from an unshielded source within 45 feet and larger units that can accurately reproduce the image on a monitor from around 700 feet.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Terrorism was usually pictured as suicide bombers, persons wielding small arms against innocent crowds. This new age, comes with threats in the form of binary codes. Chinese hacks, Russian electronic theft against the irs and more.
    I would have thought all electronic outside of living quarters, base exchanges, church, and gyms would be banned and jammed.
    Buddha saying. The same key, that opens the gates to heaven can also unlock the gates of hell. Technology can destroy a nation without one fired round

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    As a veteran that hasn't been on a facility in years, i was wondering how we protect ourselves.
    Other than a blue angels airshow, or my local VA clinic, I doubt I'll be visiting any type of military / government areas.

I questioned it, because I was watching videos of AC130s, and ran across various cockpit pictures. In the 80s & 90s, bringing a camera on the flight line was a no no.
    that got me thinking about all of the teeny bopping, social media generation, and their selfies.

I have no intent to challenge US security.

Most of those systems in those pictures are not classified and are the same ones used in civilian aircraft. The important stuff is generally worked on in a vault or behind locked doors where you need a security clearance to get through the doors.

Top Bottom