Custom 1911 questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    I have made up my mind to get a custom 1911. I know of most of the dealers etc, however i was interested in some views from owners/ prior owners non competition shooters on what they would prefer.

I am on the fence between a LBC 1911, possibly the thunder ranch edition...

Or a Double Stack STI.. Not sure of the model i am most interested in just yet.

The pistol is being bought to be a workaholic without being in competition, not a safe queen( minus comps between friends...etc..lol) this leans me to the double stack, however i really like the lbc 1911's as well...

Can anyone give me some opinions on the operation, problems they may have/ had with the gun etc, of these TWO different 1911 makers etc...

Has anyone had both of these and have a good opinion it would be appreciated.

Will_M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    In my opinion, neither are "custom".

With Les Baer, you order from a catalog. The same goes for STI. Custom means I call the guy and say (for Example) I want a Schuemann barrel, Infinity thumb safety, the slide needs to weigh xx ounces, so on and so forth." As far as I know, neither company will do such a thing. They will tell me they will only use their own parts.

However, there are LOTS of gunsmiths in your area (and abroad) that will build you exactly what you want.

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    i agree with the "custom" word, but dont tell LBC that...lol

OK so correction, i would like to purchase a LBC or STI production 1911.... :)

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Of the 2 choice you mentioned I would lean toward the Les Baer. I have known very few double stack STIs that have not needed to be tweaked by a gunsmith after purchase (this is for a stock off the shelf gun). With the LB single stacks, they will pretty much run from the start.

As the previous poster commented, I would not call either one of these a "custom" gun.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    A 1911 and a 2011 (STI double stack like the Edge) are both fine guns but will feel completely different. You've probably shot a single stack 1911, right? Come out to the Sheriff's range in New Iberia some Saturday morning and you can try my STI 2011 in .40S&W which has been worked over a bit by Bobby at Freedom Gunworks.

I have an STI Trojan single stack in 9mm as my steel challenge competition gun.

Love 'em both, but they are as different as they are similar, if that makes any sense. The similarities include great triggers in both, courtesy of Bobby.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom