Custom Gun Works - thumbs up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jro6803

Premium Member
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    Recently had Custom Gun Works in Lafayette install some sights on a couple of handguns. Could not be more pleased. Quick turnaround, good pricing and good work. Thanks Chris - I will be back.

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    WOW. This is the FIRST time I've heard of anyone having anything NEAR a positive experience at Custom in years. Since Darrell left at least....wonder how much they paid the OP? :naughty:

spanky

Gold Member
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Companies and outlooks do change from time to time. It'd be at least reasonable for you all who have heard positive experiences to give them a chance before publicly berating them based past information or experiences. You might be surprised.

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    Spanky, no one is berating them. The three posts above yours that point out surprise at a positive experience are simply opinion. I know MY opinion isn't based on nothing. I work in a gun shop in Lafayette. I hear all the local horror stories, and I'm sure I've made some of my own along the way. I also hear the accolades of who's stepping up their customer service, selection, etc. Lafayette Shooters for instance, who used to be known as an elitist 'good 'ol boys club', recently got some really helpful guys in behind the counter who are trying to turn things around.

Custom used to be fantastic. Especially when Darrell still worked there. In the last couple of years however, I've heard about lost parts, unserviced guns (in excess of 6 months in some cases), poor quality of work, etc.

I'm not pointing this out to "berate" the company, but if you want your oil changed, and someone says that what you think of as the worst place in town is being recommended based on their one experience, wouldn't you speak up and offer a second point of view for their consideration? Don't get me wrong, I like Chris, and his guys are polite, but if someone asks me where to take a gun for gunsmithing, it isn't Custom. However, if you're looking for a transfer on a firearm, especially Class III, they're the ones to talk to!

jro6803

Premium Member
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    ....wonder how much they paid the OP? :naughty:

I have no knowledge of any prior problems with Custom Gun Works. I have no financial or other interest in the firm. No one paid me to make a positive comment. I have passed in front of Custom Gun Works for years - Friday was the first time I have entered the place - primarily because they are a new sponsor of BayouShooter.com. I attempt to patronize sponsors when I can. I only had the front sights changed on 2 revolvers - nothing special or difficult. The work was done late on a Friday afternoon with no appointment before a 3 day holiday while I waited, at a price that was 25% below what was quoted on the phone and the resulting product was satisfactory to me.

James Cannon

May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I know I'm a newb here, but I've heard nothing but good things about them when I asked around.

I was considering a gun build that would require addition of a couple holes drilled and tapped in a barrel for a relocated scope mount (nothing big) and asked around. Everyone I know told me to go to Custom Gun Works and said they're moderately priced and do great work. A couple guys are old timers who may have dated opinions, but a couple of them were people who've had work done in the past couple years including action work on a shotgun, and another who needed them to diagnose and fix reoccuring FTE problems on a Beretta auto shotgun.

FWIW...

Came on here looking for local gun shop reviews so I can find a place to go to, and was surprised that CGW had some negative reviews here. Will take them into consideration though, but felt necessary to add what I could. Really nice guys that I've met, very knowledgeable, helpful, and kind.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I had a "bad" experience I needed somebody local to coat one of my guns, when I aproached CGW with the issue all they could offer me last year was Satin Black, Gloss Black and H&K Black and I brought them a BLACK gun, just didnt made much sense to me for him to even offer that when I explained over the phone what I wanted to get done and he said come on over so we can talk.

I never went back since and started using Precision Coats & Gunworks when I needed coats.

Not sure if they have updated that since but like I said that was my experience last year, I hope they did though since its always nice to have 2 or 3 places for just in case.

Last edited:

Saftman

May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    The problem around Lafayette is Custom is the only shop that offers Gunsmith Services. Lafayette Shooters used to but I don't know if they still do. Elson Duhon in Abbeville used to do Gunsmithing but I don't know if he still does.

Fisherman

Sep 5, 2009
    I don't know if they are in the same piece of property or have moved since but I used to frequent Custom Gun Works when I lived in Broadmore and they were across Johnson St. I 1980, I had them re-blue a S&W model 10 that looked pretty bad but otherwise was in good shooting condition. I paid them $50 and what they gave me back looked like a brand new gun. I was pleased to say the least.

Are they in the same place? What's their address? I noticed that they don't have a proper website. <shameless plug>I'd like to build them one. Anyone from CGW on the forum? It's what we've been doing for the last 13 years.</shameless plug>

James Cannon

May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    They are in the same place there on Johnston. I'd say stop on by and see what turns up.

I got one of their cards in my wallet here from when I met one of the employees at Sherburne.
    4952 Johnston Street
    337-984-0721

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom