CVA Missouri Ranger 50 cal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • formulaforspeed

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Prairieville LA
    I posted this in the relic / curio section and it was recommended I post here. Pls see below

Any BlackPowder Shooters?
    I have a CVA Missouri Ranger Rifle in 50 Cal that was given to me by my ex-wife father when he passed in '93. I have never shot the rifle, nor do I know how. does anyone know anything about this rifle? should I keep it? should I sell it to someone who can use it? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    Hey formulaforspeed. Early CVA sidehammers are good solid guns and usually good shooters. I believe the Missouri Ranger has a slow twist, something like 1:66", for shooting patched round balls. That gun was likely made in the early 1980's and sold for something around $100 back then. How's its condition, especially the bore?

It wouldn't take a big investment to get the necessaries to shoot it. A canister of Pyrodex RS, some #11 percussion caps, some .490 lead balls, and some patch material and you'll be in business. You might find you really enjoy shooting a muzzle loader. If you want to give it a try let me know and I'll guide you along.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Go to a fabric store and get some pilow ticking for patch material. I used to use that in a.50 T/C Hawken back in the early 80's along with a round ball and it produced the same kind of accuracy as the tightly fitting balls in Huckleberry's 58 using 80gr of blackpowder and a .490 ball. there are other things to use for patch material also but that's what i always used from the early 70's on when Iwas in a muzzleloading club in West Monroe called Fort Miro Muzzleloaders when i was around 12 or 13 years old. I used pillow ticking in a Hopkins and Allen Underhammer .36 rifle and a .45 kentucky pistol back then.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom