CZ Shadow 2 Compact

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    i don't understand it and why they put it out
    are they out of ideas?
    Same here as they had a compact CZ75 metal frame which IIRC was DCed about 2-3 years ago.

All I can think of is the Shadow is a more expensive line than the 75 so, maybe like building cars, add more models to the more expensive line?

I was keen on the 75C but am leaning more towards a G30/G21 SF or similar; double stack .45 is so attractive to me. I have a G21 - flawless performer but yes, a Tupperware striker-fired service pistol. Anathema to many but there's a certain beauty in functional reliability.

As attractive as a blued-steel, wood stocked SA, which I grew up with and still love?

I'm torn and have both.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Same here as they had a compact CZ75 metal frame which IIRC was DCed about 2-3 years ago.

All I can think of is the Shadow is a more expensive line than the 75 so, maybe like building cars, add more models to the more expensive line?

I was keen on the 75C but am leaning more towards a G30/G21 SF or similar; double stack .45 is so attractive to me. I have a G21 - flawless performer but yes, a Tupperware striker-fired service pistol. Anathema to many but there's a certain beauty in functional reliability.

As attractive as a blued-steel, wood stocked SA, which I grew up with and still love?

I'm torn and have both.
    If you ever get down to the Greater New Orleans area, message me and you can try out the SA35 with the MK3 trigger package.

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    If you ever get down to the Greater New Orleans area, message me and you can try out the SA35 with the MK3 trigger package.
    visited a friend in Nebraska a while ago - he was showing off his Cylinder & Slide upgraded P35 which was impressive but I may take you up on that.

If things work out I might own his "old" P35 - he thinks he "needs" a Nighthawk or a Wilson but I'm pretty sure his wife is keeping an eye on his armoury expenditures; that may lead to me getting his Cylinder & Slide.

Stay dry if you can . . . . . .

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    my buddy just read to me a story of a rso (i think) that got killed by a shadow 2. Iirc the owner of a shadow 2 dropped the gun when he tried to holster it and it went off.
    The original article was on gatdailly.com but has been removed. November 2020, Rochester NY, USPSA match: some idiot holstered too fast without looking during "load and make ready" (requires hammer fully down on a loaded chamber), missed his holster, dropped his Shadow 2, it landed on the hammer, gun discharged, killed a 67yo range officer.

I just want them to make a threaded barrel sp-01 tactical or re-release the sp-01 urban
    I have one for sale if you want one.

In the end, it is no less safe than a series 70 1911.
    Not quite. The 1911 has redundant mechanical safeties (grip safety + thumb safety), where the CZ does not (thumb safety only).

I'm a CZ nerd like the rest of you here and I can't figure this one out either. The silver lining for me is that they've finally come to their senses and are releasing optic-ready models out of the gate. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    The original article was on gatdailly.com but has been removed. November 2020, Rochester NY, USPSA match: some idiot holstered too fast without looking during "load and make ready" (requires hammer fully down on a loaded chamber), missed his holster, dropped his Shadow 2, it landed on the hammer, gun discharged, killed a 67yo range officer.

I have one for sale if you want one.

Not quite. The 1911 has redundant mechanical safeties (grip safety + thumb safety), where the CZ does not (thumb safety only).

I'm a CZ nerd like the rest of you here and I can't figure this one out either. The silver lining for me is that they've finally come to their senses and are releasing optic-ready models out of the gate. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come.
    I do agree that it does not have the redundant (grip) safety but I don't see where the grip safety makes the 1911 "drop" safe. All the grip safety does is block the trigger bow. The CZ should be just as safe as the 1911 70 series with the thumb safety engaged from a drop safe point of view as both have half cock hooks on the hammer in case of mechanical failure. You are definitely correct in there being less safety from an accidental or negligent discharge point of view though. I just don't see the grip safety as that big of an advantage otherwise. Now this is only my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. I agree that having the hammer fully down on a handgun without a firing pin block is a recipe for disaster and would never carry one in that condition.

Last edited:

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    So I picked up the Shadow 2 Compact today. Feels great in the hand, but definitely do not like the flat safety that comes with it. Will be ordering a CGW extended left side safety as soon as back in stock. Hope to go shoot it this weekend before I start swapping out trigger internals. My fingers need the reduced reach out for DA pull for sure. Anybody wants to try it out, contact me.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Also arrived home to find some Cajun Gun Works goodies for the Shadow 2 Compact have arrived. I will probably wait to install them next weekend after I get some trigger time in.
    Shadow2CompactL.jpg

Shadow2Compact.jpg

CGWGoodies.jpg

Jaygunner

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 28, 2023
    So Louisiana
    Okay, just a little poll. Who else is interested in the newly announced Shadow 2 Compact. I plan to pick one up as soon as I can find one at a decent price (not above retail). Really cannot wait to try this out. What optic do you think would be a good fit?
    Okay, just a little poll. Who else is interested in the newly announced Shadow 2 Compact. I plan to pick one up as soon as I can find one at a decent price (not above retail). Really cannot wait to try this out. What optic do you think would be a good fit?
    I have the Shadow 2 and the shadow 2 optic ready. If it weighs 2/3 as much as either of these, it would be an uncomfortable carry gun. Great competition guns but there are many better carry guns.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    I have the Shadow 2 and the shadow 2 optic ready. If it weighs 2/3 as much as either of these, it would be an uncomfortable carry gun. Great competition guns but there are many better carry guns.
    Glock 19 weighs 24oz., CZ P10C weighs 26oz, Sig P320 Compact weighs 26oz, S&W M&P Compact weighs 27oz, CZ P01 weighs 28oz, CZ Shadow 2 Compact weighs 30oz, Springfield SA 35 weighs 32oz, Colt 1911 Combat Commander 33oz.

I don't see where it is really that much heavier than comparable carry guns. Now I have carried steel frame 1911's before without problem, of course that is with proper belt and holster combination. Maybe the weight is a deal breaker for some, but maybe we are spoiled by all the micro guns out now. I may just be becoming an old FUDD.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    After putting the CGW Pro Kit on her, I found that I still didn't like the factory low profile safety. The gunsmith over at CGW was gracious enough to sell me an extended left side safety after I reached out...some groveling may have been involved, LOL. That being said, It was a little too wide. I bit the bullet and pulled out my trusty Dremel, I can hear the groaning already. I took about 2 serrations of width off, applied a little Perma Blue until I can Cerakote and am more than happy with the results. I wish CZ would put out this width safety as an option. Next step is picking up my Holosun EPS for it.

PXL_20231001_034105898.jpg
    PXL_20231001_034139186.jpg
    PXL_20231001_034209541.jpg

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... pulled out my trusty Dremel, I can hear the groaning already. ....

No groaning on my part. Nothing like a personal touch to make it yours. Next time just say "Foredom" with a capital F and they won't cringe.

An alternative rust proofing for that unfinished edge is heat then oil quenching.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I think that I am going to try that Mitch, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks, LOL. BTW, what oil do you suggest for quenching?
    Any oil will work, but I like used motor oil or Royal Purple. Do a little home work on what color to look for when heating the paddle, and take care not to let the rest of the part to get too hot.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Still haven't had the chance to try the oil quenching, but I did get the EPS mounted. The S2C is almost in it's final form, just waiting for the LOK Grips Blue/Black Bogies to arrive. Went and sighted it in on Sunday and am absolutely more in love with this gun than I thought possible.

Attachments

• PXL_20231008_181818227.jpg
      PXL_20231008_181818227.jpg
      521.5 KB · Views: 47

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Okay, the last piece of the puzzle finally arrived...LOK Grips Thin Bogies in Blue/Black. Hopefully I am done pouring money into her for a while, LOL...I think she is worth it though. Holster is from ANR.

Attachments

• PXL_20231017_212621313.jpg
      PXL_20231017_212621313.jpg
      548.8 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom