Dan Wesson 1911's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DumpsterJuice

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Im in the market for a 1911. Im hearing pretty good things about these DW firearms. The Valor in particular is the one im interested in. It's between the DW or an STI platform. Please chime in if you have any firsthand info on the DW 1911's. I look forward to reading some of your comments.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    While still quality firearms, new DW ≠ old DW.

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with them to really be very helpful with specifics. But if it was between a DW/CZ and an STI, I'd pick the latter option without thinking about it. I have never held or seen an STI that I didn't like and admire.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have a couple SS models in 10mm. One is a CBOB and the other is a standard. I also have an STI Ranger II in 9mm and had an STI Trojan 9mm for a while. The fit and finish on all of them is very good and they are all very accurate pistols. I do think the Ranger, even at 4.25" is the most accurate pistol I own. The obvious difference with mine are that both of the DW are SS and the STI are matte blue. I feel like the DW have somewhat sharper edges and the STI are finished just a little bit better. Also, the sharp edges and SS finish does seem to lend itself a little more to nicks and scratches. If I was only going to have one and it was going to be a regular shooter, I'd probably go with the STI.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    DW definitely makes a better looking gun than STI. The few I've handled were very nice guns. I haven't been able to shoot one though.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i bought a dan wesson razorback 10mm at the end of 2009. i was wanting a 10mm and the 1911 platform fit my hands best.

after months of research i was flip floping between the colt delta elite. i found a great deal the dan wesson so i snatched it up.

i have regretted it ever since. it has been less reliable than my keltec p32 at 1/4 the price.

first mag thru it and the slide freezes up after firing the last round due to spalling. the d/w tech support told me to beat it loose with a soft mallet. i did so and fired another few rounds thru it.

the gun was plagued with fte and ftrb, no matter how many rounds i fired.

i made the mistake of listening to the guys on the dan wesson page at 1911forums.com and fired 500rds thru it for "break in" then tried 6 different spring weights.

at 750rds i sent it back to dw to get it fixed, and add a fibre optic front sight. after 3 weeks i get the gun back, they had done a whole list of stuff. not even one mag thru it and the front sight flies off. it was not fitted or pinned, just slid in the slot and loctite-ed.

the gun still ftrb every mag or 3, and will occasionally not strip off the last round in the mag.

i have polished every moving piece to a mirror shine, and tried every spring weight, every load, every oal, and every bullet shape i can buy or cast, with no effect, even after 3211rds.

the only reason i still have it is its dead nuts accurate, and fits my hand like a glove. i keep hoping i will find the magic fix for it some day.

on the plus side for you, dan wesson only seems to have issues with 10mm guns. if you stick with .45acp you should be gtg.

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I have a DW PM9 in stainless. I use it for competitions at Nick's and have not had any problems at all with it. Very tight slide to frame fit.

Top Bottom