Dang Hornets got me and Sadie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Me and Sadie went for a walk behind the house this morning. Just getting her comfortable in the woods and letting her play in the water. I went to cut down a limb that had fallen across our walking trail. All of a sudden, I was getting stung from all directions. We took off running back to the house. They got me 9 times on my arms, back and hand. Them lil suckers are bad. But tonight I'm waging war on them. Heres my Sadie at 8 wks old. She a black lab female.
    100_0196.jpg

100_0191.jpg

100_0185.jpg

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Much worse for you than her ;)

My pup has an Arch Enemy Horse Fly around the pond. We go there and after about 10 minutes he shows up and follows pup all the way back home.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Put tobacco on it...Should help with the pain and swelling...

+1 this old remedy really does work, but it needs to be old fashioned leaf chewing tobacco and you have to chew it for a couple minutes before you put in on the sting.

The only memory I have of my great-grandpa was him teaching me this remedy after I stepped on a bee.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You don't have to chew it. Just wet it down some. And tobacco from a cigarette works fine. I prefer afterbite though...

I hate wasps!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Hornets seem to fly just slightly faster than I can run. It's like getting stung in slow motion!

this is funny,

I am at different times (who knows when) deathly alergic to fire ants.. I was working with the hawk some, and we had left a piece of hawk food in the grass for probably 40 min and I was cleaning up. I picked it up and tossed it over the fence.

no biggie.. 10 steps.. wearing jeans, boots, all normal attire.

I saw one or two ants on my hand and tossed them off, all is good .. I then got popped on the leg, and was like all well lets see if we swell up , I take some meds and wait it out.

the soft tissue swells first, inside of the arm pit, leg pit, .. well I was watching for this, but I started swelling from BITES< inside my leg, and on the end of you know where.. right on the END>> I was like WTH.. thank god I didnt react badly to the bites and the meds worked..

thats me all over again running from bees ..

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    this is funny,

I am at different times (who knows when) deathly alergic to fire ants.. I was working with the hawk some, and we had left a piece of hawk food in the grass for probably 40 min and I was cleaning up. I picked it up and tossed it over the fence.

no biggie.. 10 steps.. wearing jeans, boots, all normal attire.

I saw one or two ants on my hand and tossed them off, all is good .. I then got popped on the leg, and was like all well lets see if we swell up , I take some meds and wait it out.

the soft tissue swells first, inside of the arm pit, leg pit, .. well I was watching for this, but I started swelling from BITES< inside my leg, and on the end of you know where.. right on the END>> I was like WTH.. thank god I didnt react badly to the bites and the meds worked..

thats me all over again running from bees ..

How did the ants get "you know where?" Nevermind! We may not want to find out. Lol!

I got tangled up with some fire ants once and learned another of life's lessons when they all seemed to sting me at the same time- You can not pull off a boot while running.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Kill 'em with fire!

I've always wondered how ant's all attack at the exact same moment... I mean by scale one on your foot and one on your knee would be like two people a half mile apart.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Went to wally world and bought some hornet spray. Waited until dark, sprayed the whole can into the hole. Then filled the hole with diesel and set on fire. Ended up burning a 10' area all around making sure they didn't have any other holes. I hope that got them. One of the stings was on top of my thumb. Its been swoll up and hurts like hell. Think I might dig that hole out with the shovel and fill with diesel again to make sure its all burnt.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    For ground hornets/wasps the best trick ever is blue windshield washer fluid, the stuff with the alchahol in it to keep it from freezing.
    Pour it down the hole and light it. The alchahol burns in a blue/clear tornado of fire. When the hornets fly out of the nest their wings get burned off and they are done. The gallon lasts for about 10 mins and wont destroy an entire area like gas or diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom