Danika Patrick hard crash at Daytona--video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I cannot stand Nascar.

I remember in the mornings Speedvision use to replay all the Nascar races from the late 60's and early 70's where all the cars proudly displayed their Horsepower ratings on the hood and still had all their factory sheetmetal.

What a sad bunch of neutered cars are out their now.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    What a sad bunch of neutered cars are out their now.

That is hands down, the most ignorant statement I've heard all day.

Stock cars today are FAR superior to those of the past. The overall metallurgy is vastly superior. The precision with which the powerplant is better every year. Aerodynamics play a huge role. I could go on and on...

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

Stock cars today are FAR superior to those of the past. The overall metallurgy is vastly superior. The precision with which the powerplant is better every year.(And regulated so it is no better than their neighbor) Aerodynamics play a huge role(And regulated so it is no better than their neighbor). I could go on and on...

I'm not referring to their technological advancements, we have passenger cars today that are better than the nascars of yesteryear.

What they are missing is soul.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

Stock cars today are FAR superior to those of the past. The overall metallurgy is vastly superior. The precision with which the powerplant is better every year. Aerodynamics play a huge role. I could go on and on...

I don't think its an ignorant statement at all. What I BELIEVE he meant by the statement was that when NASCAR started through at least the 80's, the cars were... well, STOCK CARS. They basically were the same car (looks and construction wise) as the one available at your local dealer. Sure, they weren't even close to being STOCK, by any stretch, but they were a lot closer to stock than what they are today.

Today, its all the same car with just a different name on the sheet metal. Does it make things more evenly matched? I guess you could say so, but it takes alot of the nostalgia out of NASCAR. Growing up, I LOVED to watch NASCAR. Now, I don't even bother to know who's driving.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    When was the last time any of you were actually around a stock car? IMHO, "soul" is merely a reference people use to cover up the fact that something better has replaced something they love.

I can speak from personal experience that the new cars are precision instruments that have just as much character and different nuances as anything in the past, many people just don't understand the science and engineering that goes into them and therefore have disdain for them.

These are normally aspirated CARBURETED (not fuel injected) V-8 powerplants putting out in excess of 500 (rear wheel) HP operating in excess of 8000 RPM's!

Plus, the reason they are all "the same" today is because of all the injuries and deaths from the past. Safety precautions forced innovation and change. Besides, who wants to see a punch of bunch of Chevy Volts duking it out? It'd be like a bunch of short bus kids in a fist fight!

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    When was the last time any of you were actually around a stock car? IMHO, "soul" is merely a reference people use to cover up the fact that something better has replaced something they love.

I can speak from personal experience that the new cars are precision instruments that have just as much character and different nuances as anything in the past, many people just don't understand the science and engineering that goes into them and therefore have disdain for them.

These are normally aspirated CARBURETED (not fuel injected) V-8 powerplants putting out in excess of 500 (rear wheel) HP operating in excess of 8000 RPM's!

I'm not saying they are not impressive.

I'm saying they are not something I love and want to waste my time watching. I'm not sure when they made the transition to cookie cutter but that is how they were as long as I am able to remember them. It wasn't until I saw the reruns of older races did I actually think they messed up somewhere along the lines.

Not that it is relevant to this thread, but I find the World Challenge series of races vastly more entertaining and they still retain some semblance of the name that is on them.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm not saying they are not impressive.

I'm saying they are not something I love and want to waste my time watching. I'm not sure when they made the transition to cookie cutter but that is how they were as long as I am able to remember them. It wasn't until I saw the reruns of older races did I actually think they messed up somewhere along the lines.

Not that it is relevant to this thread, but I find the World Challenge series of races vastly more entertaining and they still retain some semblance of the name that is on them.

I've got no issues with that. Personal preference is just that. But, just simply stating that the new cars are neutered by comparison...I took exception to that.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'll just say this: Although the cars might not be what they were in years past (and you can decide for yourselves whether the changes are for the better or the worse), those who think just anyone can climb into one of those sad little cars and compete with these drivers should surrender their crackpipes.:dogkeke:

Paladin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    She sure is pretty!
    danica08.jpg

Top Bottom