Deal Gone Bad, Need BS members opinion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    It isn't really fair either way - assuming both buyer and seller are doing their part, one or the other is getting the short end of stick, despite not having done anything wrong. I just suggested that, in my mind (without knowledge of any kind of established code of ethics in these matters), the fairest way to resolve the issue would be for both to take a hit. If this is what the seller wanted, I could see it as a fair resolution (though the seller would be doing it with full knowledge that it would likely impact the likelihood someone else may buy from him in the future). I don't see it as an ethical thing for the seller to take full responsibility - merely a wise decision if one hopes to sell routinely and maintain a pristine reputation

The buyer also had the option to insure the package but for whatever reason he chose not to. Therefore he should be responsible for replacing the item.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I guess I just haven't been heard of those protocols from anywhere. Intuitively, I would see refunding half of the purchase and calling it a loss for both parties a fair resolution. I would also be alright though with making public buyer/seller information when an incident like this happens, so that any patterns of "bad luck" can be attributed to one party or the other. If the seller chooses to trust the buyer's integrity to avoid such information being made public (to preserve his own integrity for future sales), that would be an acceptable (but optional and not necessarily "fair") resolution as well

Could not disagree more.. What if I'm selling something for ten bucks plus shipping, you buy it, then I mail you an empty box, after you complain I return half your money, who wins? You have flawed logic... I could do that all day and never lose.. If you pay for something you have the right to get what you pay for.. If someone offers something for sale, gets paid and won't deliver, that's stealing, plain and simple..

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    I'd rather not identify the seller, but the items were shipped and there is a weight and tracking number for the package. All he told me is that it's under investigation with USPS. From what he said these investigations are pretty through in some situations.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    It is nice to know that there are a lot of people here with a good sense of ethics. That being said I have made many online purchases where it was understood that if you do not choose to pay for insurance and something goes wrong then youre just out. Regardless if the insurance would have covered it or not, not a good situation for the buyer or seller. I have been scammed before and the USPS did absolutely nothing to help. I found out the hard way that a USPS money order is only good for the seller as there is no tracking mechanisim and no way to stop payment or cancel it. Also they do not verify identification when cashed and anyone can sign for a package and it does not have to be legible. I try not to use USPS unless I have to. I hope it works out for the both of you.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Could not disagree more.. What if I'm selling something for ten bucks plus shipping, you buy it, then I mail you an empty box, after you complain I return half your money, who wins? You have flawed logic... I could do that all day and never lose.. If you pay for something you have the right to get what you pay for.. If someone offers something for sale, gets paid and won't deliver, that's stealing, plain and simple..

By the same logic, a buyer could repeatedly burn various ethical (by the proposed established code) sellers without ever losing, but that isn't the case. You couldn't do it all day unless you could continue to find people who were willing to do transactions with you. I would only buy from / sell to someone with an established reputation (determined by my own research). Yes, that means, given my post count, I would certainly not be buying or selling from myself. (strictly speaking about online transactions, not FTF obviously). Obviously, my opinion is in the minority, but it is what it is

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    99% sure the Postal Service, as a common carrier, defaults its shipping F.O.B. Destination, which means the supplier carries the risk, unless an F.O.B. Origin agreement was struck before the package shipped.

Since that is the case, the buyer has a recourse against the supplier for non-delivery. Ownership of the good does not transfer until the buyer receives the good, not the package.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Paypal reversed the charges for my purchase crediting me even after I informed them it was a firearm related purchase.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Buyer delivered the money, never got what he paid for. Buyer responsible for funds,....seller responsible for delivery of goods. Insuring a package covers the sellers ass not the buyers.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Theft happens a lot with usps, especially with fill in carriers. My brother in laws tax refund check of about $3k was stolen and cashed a couple years ago by a fill in delivery driver. They also got a few others in this area and it took over a year to get it all straightened out.

I admit, i do not always insure things if they are cheap (maybe $20 or so), but anything valued at several hundred dollars will always go insured if it leaves me. I have sent things out on good faith before ever getting the money with people here and elsewhere and never a problem.

Hard to really call it, but if the package didnt look tampered with and was empty, its the sellers probel to make it right, especially when he received enough to cover the insurance and still pocket an extra dollar.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Buyer delivered the money, never got what he paid for. Buyer responsible for funds,....seller responsible for delivery of goods. Insuring a package covers the sellers ass not the buyers.

That's how I feel, and why I always spend the extra couple bucks on insurance when shipping stuff.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Shipping is the responsibility of the shipper if the issue was caused in transit. It is the responsibility of the sender if the item was not placed in the box, or some other shenanigans. It's usually best to try to inspect the package before the shipper leaves, and many companies require that.

I once sold a brand new set of wheels and tires on EBay, leftovers from one of my cars, which had 3 sets of wheels, each for different purposes. 2 weeks after receiving the wheels, the buyer filed a complaint, claiming one tire wouldn't hold air. This set of wheels had been in my garage for months, and were never mounted on a vehicle. I told the buyer that I would refund the full purchase price of the wheels upon receiving the wheels in the same condition as I sent them. I never heard a thing back from them. Amazingly PayPal, or "Scammers Haven" as I know them, sided with me.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Again, insurance would not cover loss of the item within a delivered package as far as I'm aware.

I believe you are wrong

USPS.COM
    4 - If Applicable, Proof of Damage or Loss of Contents
    If you received something damaged or items are missing from a package, please hang on to the contents you received and all the associated packing materials until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    I'd rather not identify the seller, but the items were shipped and there is a weight and tracking number for the package. All he told me is that it's under investigation with USPS. From what he said these investigations are pretty through in some situations.

Seller knows I am willing to work with him on this situation, problem is I cannot do anything with the post office since I am not the shipper. I am more than willing to meet with any inspector with the information and give them what help I can.
    If seller had disappeared and not answered my text, I would have already sought legal action, but he has so far proven himself to be willing enough to confront USPS with questions and trying to get closure to situation.
    That is the reason I believe a little patience and understanding are warranted on my side at this point.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Why are you speaking for him? Ill be honest if I was the seller I would be telling everyone in this thread how I packaged it and what Im doing to fix it. But Im sure when he reads this thread he will do just that right?

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Why are you speaking for him? Ill be honest if I was the seller I would be telling everyone in this thread how I packaged it and what Im doing to fix it. But Im sure when he reads this thread he will do just that right?

I think it is pure chicken ****. His "friend" can speak for him but he can't...:

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie

I would have been the first person to comment "I'm not sure who is responsible but I will do everything in my power to help figure it out"

Better yet the seller can refund the money until it is settled and then receive payment after it is settled. But I would have made it known I was the shipper and I did in fact ship the item. It would say a lot about their character

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    Tattoo, the seller is a very respectable individual, and dosent want to get "black balled" on this site. As company man stated they are working together and hopefully it will be resolved with both parties satisfied. It just not a good situation to be in for both sides. This is something that should be made public thou. It's happened before and will happen again. I think it's the post office at fault. Both parties have some supporting evidence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom