Dealing with NOPD on stolen gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    I figured I'd ask here before actually calling the madhouse that is NOPD.

May 2, 2011 my 92FS was stolen from my car parked by the Convention Center in New Orleans (actually the whole car was stolen but that's another story). Car was recovered, the gun was not. I'd guess it was 2-3 young kids that did it. Being that it was 5 years ago, and judging by the average stupidity of today's common criminal in Nola, I'm wondering if the gun was ever recovered? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before & if so, is there a direct number I can call rather than "press 1 for ________ and press 2 for ________" if I call NOPD direct? The station I went to that night was the one in the Quarter on Royal St. The one that's in that movie "No Mercy." The police told me years ago they'd call if the gun was ever found, but uh...I don't have much faith in that. Also, there are at least 2 zeroes in the serial number that I'm betting they logged in as an "o." Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    They will call you if it is recovered. I know someone who was able to recover a Glock 20 after it was stolen for 5 years with the help of NOPD. You might also get a letter from NOPD if it is recovered.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I've had guns stolen from Jefferson Parish and they call every year just to touch base with u and update their files. Had 1 stolen and got it back 11 years later. One 2 years later. And they always called yearly.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have a customer who had his beretta 96 get stolen during Katrina. They returned it to him more than 10 years later. We sent it off to Wilson Combat to get redone. It was like a completely different and new gun when it came back.

So it does happen. Just who knows how often.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you have a change of address or a new phone number you should definitely call and update that info. If not don't worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Make sure u have all your documents in order. Bill of Sale of some kind to prove ownership or you will be out of luck. If it was purchased from an individual you may need a notorized copy of the sale.

PappaDoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2016
    Iowa Louisiana
    If you still have the serial number of the Beretta, you can go to hotgunz.com I believe it has a z at the end, but it will show if it is on the National hotlist. Normally if it is found at a crime scene, hocked at a pawn shop, or person or vehicle is searched and they run the numbers they will confiscate it and you will be notified and when it is no longer needed for evidence you will get it back. If you have moved or have a new phone number you may want to update that information with the NOPD.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    They recovered a glock that was stolen from me in BR. They called me and I went and picked it up from their evidence building. They did require proof of purchase though, and fortunately I had purchased from a dealer and was able to get a receipt. No clue how it would work if person to person sale.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    They recovered a glock that was stolen from me in BR. They called me and I went and picked it up from their evidence building. They did require proof of purchase though, and fortunately I had purchased from a dealer and was able to get a receipt. No clue how it would work if person to person sale.

A notarized bill of sale should legally do the trick. Even as simple as a piece of paper saying I own gun x serial number x..etc. thats been notarized.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    A notarized bill of sale should legally do the trick. Even as simple as a piece of paper saying I own gun x serial number x..etc. thats been notarized.

Oh I've got all that for all my guns. I bought it at Puglia's in '95. I actually lost the receipt once & Puglia's was nice enough to mail me another one.

I'll try that hotgunz website & see what's up there. Thanks everyone!

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You have to upload the info to the website. All info is user supplied. Just read and follow the directions on uploading your info. They are not connected to the police depts.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I don't have a number for NOPD for you to call, but do keep them updated on your contact information. I would call Baton Rouge Sheriff's office once a year to ask on status of a stolen Ruger Blackhawk , stolen in 1995 . In 2015 they called me....recovered from a pawn shop sale in Arizona, the # came up stolen , pawn shop called police and the person trying to pawn it , gave it up .
    20 years after being stolen I got it back.....so , find a # and keep them informed !
    I got mine back....gary

Top Bottom