Death by Plastics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    It won't be the liberals and it won't be the commies -we'll destroy ourselves and point the blame at whatever group looks like it's terminally stuck on stupid. Truth is we're all stupid struck as companies like Coca Cola (my family grew up in a Coca Cola house) are directly responsible for manufacturing and selling 15% of disposable plastics. They've bougt and paid for the means and methods to continue adding metric tons by the millions of waste plastic to the earth's surface. The terminally stupid allow the destruction to continue as Coca Cola announces "all of our containers will be recycleable by 2025". Financial contributions to democrats exceed contributions to republicans by a politically correct amount. So, this summer, be sure to savor your single serving beverages and know that your children's children will choke on the plastic waste you've tossed into soil and sea.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I don’t drink soft drinks either. There’s too many health related issues stemming directly from their consumption. But that doesn’t make me morally superior by any stretch. Just means I’ll die from something else eventually.

As for plastics, that was a tipping factor in my abstinence from soft drinks.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Is this thread about plastics or soft drinks? I mean, who’s the villain here? Man ain’t no way I’m using paper straws.
    It would be great if we went back to glass containers for a lot of things, but likely not sustainable. I think that’s true with a lot of things that plastics are used for because they replace metals, glass and wood/paper products to such a degree. While it likely began as a cost saving alternative, plastic has replaced many materials out of necessity and has become irreplaceable in too many instances to count. We are indeed stuck with it. The use cases are too many, the need for plastics is too great. The goods that plastics make up are too numerous to use other materials. On a guess, the world population has maybe tripled since the days of bake-lite. The number of physical items produced has increased exponentially. Just the insulation on electrical wiring. Think about that for a minute.

If plastics are that big of a problem, we will have to find a way to dispose of or reuse them to a greater degree, because life without them ain’t gonna happen.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I’ve been waiting for something like this to happen. I’m sure you mean the “forever plastics” that are showing up everywhere.
    About 20 years ago the greenies cried that the plastics going into landfills would be there forever. So the govt pushed mfg to make Biodegradable plastics. It worked. Now the plastics brake down into microscopic particles that get into everything including you!
    If only we could recycle it. Less than 5% of plastics are recycled and most of the curbside recycling is sent to the landfill.
    The Law of Unintended Consequences.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Companies like Coke, there are a lot, I get what you're saying and agree. People have hedonistically put profit and convenience in this lifetime before a livable and decent future. They count on technology and/or regulation, or social justice, to heal the wounds in the world they create, but mostly most people are so very stupid that they do not care or understand the consequences of their destructive behavior. Average is not great intelligence, and below average is pretty stupid, and half of the educated people are well below average in emotional intelligence and adaptive functional real-world intelligence. As we have already started seeing microplastics in heart tissue and the bloodstream, lead and fluoride are still in drinking water in some places, people drink "minerals for flavor" from their plastic bottles, and world powers are messing with the weather and atmosphere more than ever, I do not see any of this stuff getting better any time soon.

Vent until your heart is content, buddy.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    It would be great if we went back to glass containers for a lot of things, but likely not sustainable.
    I’m not going back to lugging those Heavy coke bottles back & forth to the store. You know they would want a 50 cent deposit on every bottle. And when was the last time you stepped on broken glass. That’s one reason why I always were shoes.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I’m not going back to lugging those Heavy coke bottles back & forth to the store. You know they would want a 50 cent deposit on every bottle. And when was the last time you stepped on broken glass. That’s one reason why I always were shoes.
    I never wear shoes. I use the pavement to file down my toenails.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    People way up who were pushing the Recycling movement knew it was almost all BS when they were pushing it, but hardly any regular people knew at the time. Bio and non-bio-degradable plastics turn into microplastics.

The only way to safely & effectively get rid of plastic is to put it through a gasification system to separate it into usable organic matter/aka fuels and carbon, or to put it through a biological remediation process.

Good luck with the EPA & red tape on that, and better suit up and hire protection if you're pushing for R&D or legslation or patents on those kinds of concepts.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Now another reason to proudly proclaim - GLOCK BAD!

glock bad.JPG

Top Bottom