December 7-8 - Rangemaster (Tom Givens) - Dynamic Marksmanship - St. Gabriel - UPDATE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Greetings everyone. It is that time again... Tom Givens is returning to Baton Rouge.

This is a fast paced class that effectively stuffs 3-4 days into two. I've taken the class before and it will dial you in if you have a clue when you show up. If they have to teach you how to draw and press the trigger no one is going to be happy. PRIOR TRAINING IS MANDATORY TO ATTEND THIS CLASS. A CCW is not prior training.

I spoke with Tom yesterday and he said that he has given up on formal prerequisites because even those who have had previous training often haven't practiced anyway.

You should have a CCW to sign up, and you should make sure you have the slightest clue as to how to properly holster, draw, load, unload, and clear your gun. You will be called on to small, specific targets in this class - please don't show up needing rudimentary instruction.

Round count they call for is 1000-1500. I'd guess closer to the 1000 mark but I would take note of what you burn after day one.

You will need a quality holster, mag pouch, at least 3-4 magazines with more being better, sunscreen, water/Gatorade, eye and ear protection - electronic ears suggested - common sense...

The class will be in St. Gabriel at the LSUPD range. Class will begin at 8AM and end around 5PM both days.

I prepare lunch, typically burgers, chicken, sausage and a variety of sides. Never any complaints so far (they say you can't trust a skinny chef - rest assured you are in good hands) but I accept special requests or you can brown bag.

Tuition is $425 plus you bring your own ammo/gun.

You can read more at http://rangemaster.com/classes/off-site-courses/dynamic-marksmanship-two-day.html

Any questions, please post or PM. I'm a little rusty at listing these things.

Hope to see you there -

Paul

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    No business per se, I don't get paid anything but tips if lunch doesn't suck.

Just been long enough that I don't remember in excruciating detail what a pain in the ass it is to organize these things. The classes are a labor of love. Kindness of my heart or lack of brains or both ;^)

More classes to come. I suspect Tiger Mckee will return in the Feb-March timeframe with a three day carbine/pistol combo, and then possibly Louis Awerbuck in the summer for shotgun.

Paul

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Just registered...class tuition is $425. Call 901-370-5600 to enroll by credit card or mail check to Rangemaster, 2611 S. Mendenhall, Memphis, TN, 38115. A deposit of $100.00 will hold a space, with the balance due 15 days before class date.

Last edited:

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I expect it to fill well before December. Several people were waiting for it to be official so that they could register. Tom will usually take 16 students, I'd guess half that is already full.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Glad to see you setting up classes again. Any plans for a Given's Combative Pistol class locally?

This is local, the class is 10-15 min from LSU's campus. This class will cover Combative Pistol 1&2. My past experience is that you shoot more and talk less.

Chances are Tom will be back next year for CP1 in its pure form with all the mindset stuff etc next year.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Well, despite the cold wind and driving rain we managed to stay dry-ish shooting under cover and had a good class. I'll leave it to some of the other students to give a recap or AAR as I've written up Tom's classes before, but I encourage anyone who wants to get better with a pistol to try this class.

tom givens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Despite the crummy weather, we had 16 motivated and enthusiastic students. Everyone worked hard and learned a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom