Decided not to get my CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La
    I​
    I work for Cox Cable four days a week from 8am-7pm. During my work week I'm in the worst parts of Metairie/Kenner. I go to section 8 housing and all. In my work van I have thousands upon thousands of dollars of equipment.

Cox does not let us carry concealed or even have a weapon in the vehicle. Failure to abide by this policy can lead to termination. So I decided the three days off a week when I'm going out to eat and to the grocery it's not essential that I have a CCW. The places I really do need it is where I cannot have it which is at work.

Since that is the case I have decided not to spend the $100 on training and the expensive application fees to get my CCW. I'm seriously considering trading my G26 which is the only gun I own for a G19 for better home defense.

Let me know what you think. Am I off base in my logic here?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Am I off base in my logic here?

Aside from the normal if not obvious reasons Conceal Carry is beneficial;

Forcing yourself to limited options is never a good move. If it's the only thing you can afford and you cannot justify the cost with your budget then I guess you only have one option. Open Carry.

If it is WITHIN your budget to purchase a CHP than I would do so.

This way you have OPTIONS. OC or CC.

Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    Well I agree with you by not violating the company's policy in regards to carrying a firearm. Have you looked into carrying a personal defense pepper spray or taser?

I have all three sizes of the .40 Glock, G22, G23, and G26. I think the G26 is a good gun that is comfortable to carry on your side with finger/magazine extension and it is also easily concealed (Galco ankle glove for me). I know in your case you will not be concealing your firearm on your person so that is not a factor for you. If I had to choose one size Glock to own, I would probably choose the midsize just because it is a good all around size handgun. You can also buy larger capacity .40 cal magazines for the smaller frame glocks.

Joe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Thibodaux
    I would rather have to find a new job/career then my family have to find a new son/brother/father/husband.

But to each his own.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Well I agree with you by not violating the company's policy in regards to carrying a firearm. Have you looked into carrying a personal defense pepper spray or taser?

I have all three sizes of the .40 Glock, G22, G23, and G26. I think the G26 is a good gun that is comfortable to carry on your side with finger/magazine extension and it is also easily concealed (Galco ankle glove for me). I know in your case you will not be concealing your firearm on your person so that is not a factor for you. If I had to choose one size Glock to own, I would probably choose the midsize just because it is a good all around size handgun. You can also buy larger capacity .40 cal magazines for the smaller frame glocks.

I hate to break the news but your G26 is a 9mm.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Do what you want, BUT a pocket gun, 3 Pat or the like is not going to show. Some people believe concealed is concealed and nobody's business but yours.

There are arguments on both sides, I go to the I carry regardless of company or private " rules " . The asswipe is gonna shoot you, not the president of Cox, the people who prohibit you from carrying are going home safe and they work in safe environments. They give not one **** about you. Don't worry about them.

The LE who will tell you not to break rules carry...end result is that a lot of people with good security and / or weapons are telling you that you can't carry one.

This is my opinion and as I say, there are two sides.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would STILL get one regardless, I am only on land about 5 month out the year and every single one of those days I conceal carry

And NO I am not trying to sell you on a service, I simply believe your reasoning behind not getting one is completely wrong.

IF I knew ahead of time I was going to need it I would probably either stay home, OR show up with my AR/AK and my bullet proof vest instead of a pocket pistol

You simply cannot control the world around you, and there is NO such thing as a safe neighborhood in my book. Do you actually believe bad guys only target the hood as an area of operation ???? I mean they already know people in that area are broke as a joke so the real targets are middle class people who like you believe that nothing will happen to them and will most likely comply and NOT put up a fight ........

JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La
    I would STILL get one regardless, I am only on land about 5 month out the year and every single one of those days I conceal carry

And NO I am not trying to sell you on a service, I simply believe your reasoning behind not getting one is completely wrong.

IF I knew ahead of time I was going to need it I would probably either stay home, OR show up with my AR/AK and my bullet proof vest instead of a pocket pistol

You simply cannot control the world around you, and there is NO such thing as a safe neighborhood in my book. Do you actually believe bad guys only target the hood as an area of operation ???? I mean they already know people in that area are broke as a joke so the real targets are middle class people who like you believe that nothing will happen to them and will most likely comply and NOT put up a fight ........

I realize that. I have Carry a gun in my car and in my nightstand. I guess the pressure here is coming from my wife who says its just a big waste of money it has caused arguments between is. She can't see the benefits of a CCW

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I realize that. I have Carry a gun in my car and in my nightstand. I guess the pressure here is coming from my wife who says its just a big waste of money it has caused arguments between is. She can't see the benefits of a CCW

Brother I hate to break her heart BUT if you divide $300 into 5 years its only about $0.16 cents a day that you are paying for YOUR SAFETY on the first 5 years, then once you re apply it goes down to $0.13 for the following 5 years .........

Im sure she spends WAY more than that in shoes, purses, clothes, make up, etc etc etc

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Cool. But I'd suggest you go ahead and get the CHP.

Alright. So I'm completely new to owning handguns. Only owned for a year. What is a CHP?

Just messing with you, man...:D

CHP stands for "Concealed Handgun Permit"....Basically the same thing- just what the State of LA refers to it's version as, that's all....

My serious opinion is yes, you should get one. But if you are new to handguns, you'd also do yourself good to get some training, as well.....Lots of good guys here who can help you out with that. :)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I​
    During my work week I'm in the worst parts of Metairie/Kenner. I go to section 8 housing and all.

So I decided the three days off a week when I'm going out to eat and to the grocery it's not essential that I have a CCW. The places I really do need it is where I cannot have it which is at work.

Since that is the case I have decided not to spend the $100 on training and the expensive application fees to get my CCW.

Am I off base in my logic here?

1. You seem to be confusing "very unsafe places" with "incredibly unsafe places."

2. Where exactly in the Greater New Orleans area do you shop and eat that are "safe" ?? And how did you determine this ??

3. Choosing to honor your employer's rules is one choice, and I can understand your decision. Choosing to disarm yourself for the remainder of the week is where the wheels fall off your logic wagon.

4. I don't think you'll find huge differences in the capabilities of the G19 and the G26 -- except that the G19 holds more BB's and most folks shoot the G19 a little better.

Top Bottom