Decided not to get my CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La
    1. You seem to be confusing "very unsafe places" with "incredibly unsafe places."

2. Where exactly in the Greater New Orleans area do you shop and eat that are "safe" ?? And how did you determine this ??

3. Choosing to honor your employer's rules is one choice, and I can understand your decision. Choosing to disarm yourLself for the remainder of the week is where the wheels fall off your logic wagon.

4. I don't think you'll find huge differences in the capabilities of the G19 and the G26 -- except that the G19 holds more BB's and most folks shoot the G19 a little better.

I shoot the g19 a whole lot better than my g26. I shoot my father in laws browning hi power even better. Your totally right about eating. Can you conceal in wal mart? I heard there is a no weapons policy.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Walmarttactical.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I shoot the g19 a whole lot better than my g26. I shoot my father in laws browning hi power even better. Your totally right about eating. Can you conceal in wal mart? I heard there is a no weapons policy.

Rest assured that EVERYONE here with a CHP has carried concealed in a Wal-Mart. It seems to be an unofficial "rite of passage"...:chuckles:

I have never personally seen a "no weapons" sign at a Wal Mart....

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Upon receiving your CHP, it must be activated by completing the WallyWorld Tactical Map. Failure to do so will result in loss of man hood.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Alright. So I'm completely new to owning handguns. Only owned for a year.

I have decided not to spend the $100 on training and the expensive application fees to get my CCW.

Let me know what you think. Am I off base in my logic here?

these two statements are in conflict. If you're new to this, the training will be a tremendous asset whether you get the permit or not.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I guess the pressure here is coming from my wife who says its just a big waste of money it has caused arguments between is. She can't see the benefits of a CCW

Warning MEGA-POST

Slow and Easy. Just like most everything else with women. You have to take it slow. You can't send her e-mail stories of women getting brutally raped and then say had she had a gun she could have stopped this, this is why you should carry. Women are wired differently, we know this so let’s not act like we can rush into it.

I told my wife that I took her and the children’s safety VERY seriously. I likened the gun to a fire extinguisher, seatbelt and Car Seats that our children ride in. Lord knows I NEVER want either one of those to HAVE to be used for their intent, BUT if indeed they had to be used I want them to be of superior quality, I want them to WORK!

I told her I'm not wearing my seat belt b/c I plan to crash. I'm not buying a Fire extinguisher b/c I want our house to catch fire. I'm not buying and carrying a gun b/c I WANT to shoot someone.

I do these things b/c I DO NOT WANT to have to ask myself why didn't I? after the fact; when possibly my house just burned to the ground b/c of a simple kitchen fire that could have been put out with a $15 Fire Extinguisher that wasn't there.

Slow and Easy. First HOME Protection must be the basis. Show her how secure and safe you are with the weapons at HOME and she's likely to believe you'll be just as safe and secure out and about.

Took my wife a long time to come around b/c she'd never been around firearms. I prompted her cautiously and just expressed my desire sincerely to protect her and the children 24 hours a day EVERYWHERE. Just say enough to have it on her mind. Eventually things will happen, NEWS will get around and she'll read it about these types of crimes and she'll put two and two together.

One example similar just happen to my wife last week. I keep a .22 handgun unloaded(but has a MAG of Blanks next to it for Dog Training) in the pantry, out of reach of the children of course. The other day she loaded the kids up during lunch to go pick up a few things from the store down the road. What she didn't realize is that when she locked the door and let the screen door close she had not pulled the main door completely shut so when the screen door went to close it actually pushed the main door slightly open without her knowledge of holding the baby and trying to get two other kids out the door and in the Vehicle. Easy for a busy mom to do right?

So she gets back home(this next part is common) She leaves the kids secured in their car seats(car running) watching their movies on their DVD players while she unloads the few bags she had gotten from the store. This way she doesn't have to fight them while she attempts to unload the car etc. Anyway, she said she walked in the house, set the bags on the counter and froze in her tracks. Like a ton of bricks it hit her. Instantly she said her heart rate increased and she thought 'GUN', PANTRY, NOW. She had just realized that she had walked up on the porch, open the screen door and walked inside all the way to the kitchen but had NOT used a key to open the door. When our main door is open it blocks the hallway to the kids side of the house. She thought if someone is behind the door the GUN SHOULD go through it right? At that time the A/C kicked on and the air flow pushed the door close some and she could see there is no one behind the door. She made her way to the door and upon grabbing the door knob she noticed it was locked. She then realized that she had never closed it fully to begin with.

SO! Long story I know but it was all a SELF taught lesson that my wife discovered all on her own.

She also was upset b/c she said she had no clue the mechanics of the Walther P22 and had no clue how to load and fire it. She then demanded that I train her immediately on it. Of course I had to also tell her the MAG only had Blanks in it :doh:

Anyway that is the product of me NOT pressuring my wife. Just expressing my genuine concern for her and the children’s safety. Every now and then hinting on a poor story of a situation that could have been prevented and being grateful that hasn't happen to us and if it did we'd be prepared. Don't make it OBVIOUS, just be subtle about it. With the rate of crime these days, that's all you need to do before you wife crosses one of these Self taught scenarios and she might surprise you with a request.

My wife HATES firing guns. She does NOT want to go shoot Bottles or Snakes etc. When it's time for her to brush up on some shooting, she wants to shoot at actual targets in a serious training environment and then be done with it. No bullshitting around with her lol

But I have noticed a slight increase in the 'FUN' of it all for her, so I'm working on her ;)

Hope this helps.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    i don't carry concealed, or open. its not that big of a deal if you don't.

im not dead from it either.

Awesome!

A CHP and a handgun have something in common: You don't need either of them until you need them.:bigok:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Lets be realistic.....certainly you do not need a CCW 24/7 that just crazy....Like you said you go into all these very dangerous places 4 days a week and have never needed it, and the other 3 days a week you only go and eat and socialize in very safe enviroments.....thats just crazy needing that CCW.....

WHEN YOU DO NEED IT......where will YOU be? Gas station? Grocery store? Mall, Beach? Wedding? ........ Answer that one question accurately and there you have it! No need for a CCW, just OC at that particular time on that particular day!

EXACTLY ........YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THAT CRANKED UP WACKED OUT LUNATIC WILL BE IN YOUR FACE!!! OK no worries, you have your cell phone......just ask the perp to hold on as you call 911.......

NOW RETHINK your decesion!!!

KT

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I don't carry a defibrillator and I've seen more cardiac failures than shootings

BGs shoot heart attacks at people?

People that say "I don't carry because I've never seen a shooting" crack me up. I'm pretty sure all those kids/teachers at Columbine, VT, etc hadn't seen a shooting either.

It's those same people who decide not to be prepared and then when something happens want to preach about how gun laws aren't what they should be and "why was that criminal allowed to kill my child with a gun..." or "where were the police?"

It's all about being prepared. I'm sure I have a less than .00000001% chance of ever actually needing to use a gun against someone, but my wife and two small children are worth enough to me that I'll be prepared in the extreme unlikely chance that I need to be.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Since that is the case I have decided not to spend the $100 on training and the expensive application fees to get my CCW. I'm seriously considering trading my G26 which is the only gun I own for a G19 for better home defense.

Let me know what you think. Am I off base in my logic here?
    Your G26 is your CCW...your Conceal Carry Weapon. What you want is a CHP...Concealed Handgun Permit.
    OK, you can't carry at work. I get that. I work hospital security and can't carry a gun either. I work around that. So can you.
    You go out to eat and to the grocery and you don't consider those as places where you would want a CCW tucked under your shirt? Why not? Crime can happen at those places as well as at your work. You may have to defend yourself as well as your wife with your CCW. So it would benefit you to have the CHP.
    You are new to guns. The $100 you spend on the CHP class, whether or not you actually actually apply for the CHP should be just a start. The CHP clas will give you answers to questions you may not even know yet that you have such as where you can carry and what the laws say about self defense shootings in La.
    And after that? You need to find a competent instructor who can give you quality training. That isn't cheap. Also you need to practice. Go to the store, buy ammo and take it to a range and practice with your firearm so you know how to use it if, Zeus forbid, you are ever forced to.
    There are things you can practice on your own such as dry fire and reloading drills but you should seek out the guidance of a pro who can coach you.
    Meanwhile, research about the legallity of carrying or using your gun in self defense.
    Read books on the subject of gunfighting. Tom Givens has some great suggestions in this article->
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/the-thinking-gunmans-bookshelf/
    Read articles by writers such as Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens and others. Articles like the ones found here=>
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/category/ccm-columns/features/ are good examples.
    Watch videos by trainers such as Rob Pincus, Paul Gomez and James Yeager.
    YouTube channels like the ones for Personal Defense Network with Rob Pincus here-> http://www.youtube.com/user/PersonalDefenseNet?ob=0 ,
    Paul Gomez's channel-> http://www.youtube.com/user/Gomez8136
    and James Yeager's Channel-> http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesYeager?ob=0
    are a good start but can't replace actual face-to-face training.
    Ask questions. Ask more questions.
    Do you have a smart phone or Ipod? Listen to radio shows about guns such as Tome Greshim's Gun Talk. You can find the archives to his weekly broadcast available for download at -> http://guntalk.libsyn.com/ . That's three hours a week of gun related news and info. Or you can listen to the weekly Armed American Radio broadcasts at -> http://armedamericanradio.org/aar-post-board/ .
    A gun isn't a magic talisman. You can't just get it home from the local gun shop, load it up and think you are covered. Many people have done this and found that, when the SHTF, they are ill prepared.
    Of course, if you leave it home when you go out to eat or grocery shopping it won't do you any good even with little to no training. You don't schedule when you are going to be involved in a car wreck. You don't schedule when you fall down a flight of stairs. You don't schedule when your house is going to catch fire. So you certainly can't schedule when and where you will need your CCW.
    Take the class, get your CHP and carry your CCW when you are not at work and where ever you are legally able.
    Still not going to take the CHP class or carry your G26?
    How about a knife? How about training on how to use a knife or defend aginst one? How about if that training was virtually free? You're in Kenner right? Got some weekends free? There's a group that meets on the weekends in City Park and does defensive knife training. You can find out more by looking here-> http://forum.nolatac.com/showthread...g-Group-Weekly-in-New-Orleans&p=3479#post3479
    There's lots to learn and lots of options. Take advantage of as many as possible.
    Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I'm letting mine expire because I never carry. It just seems like such a pain in the a$$ with all that crap on your belt and only can wear certain shirts. The wife and I usually each have a pistol in our vehicles. I'm too cheap to pay for another class n pay for the permit. I still enjoy shooting but can use the money on other things. My wife took a ccw class but never turned in her paperwork. So we were going to take it together again but i can't justify it not that we can't afford it.

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got mine and am not allowed to carry at work for 40 hours a week.

The main reason I got mine is out of state road trips. CHL greatly simplifies the idiocy that other states enforce on travelers without a La CHL.

JDSilva87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Kenner, La
    Hitman, Thank you so much for your post. I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression. I totally believe that a CHP permit is beneficial and I could need it when I"m someplace that I don't expect. Shootings have happened in laf. park and the mall of louisiana within the past year. The main thing is that I didn't want to push it if it caused a constant battle with my wife. You are so right in that I need to work slow. Women are wired different. I realize it is going to take time to get my CHP. I am new to guns and need to be proficient shooting it before I start carrying. She said it is ultimately up to me and my own decision whether I spend the money on the permit and carry.

After reading all your posts it reminds me why I wanted the permit in the first place. I"m going to take off the add for my G26 and slowly work towards getting my permit. I actually reload my own 9MM so the ammo cost is very minimal. The first step is getting a membership to Jefferson Gun's range. Right now I only shoot a few times a year when I go to my in laws. They have a place in St. Francisville that I can shoot in their friends back yard.

Thank you for all your replies and being patient with my lack of knowledge with the gun world!!! :hi5:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Hitman, Thank you so much for your post. I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression. I totally believe that a CHP permit is beneficial and I could need it when I"m someplace that I don't expect. Shootings have happened in laf. park and the mall of louisiana within the past year. The main thing is that I didn't want to push it if it caused a constant battle with my wife. You are so right in that I need to work slow. Women are wired different. I realize it is going to take time to get my CHP. I am new to guns and need to be proficient shooting it before I start carrying. She said it is ultimately up to me and my own decision whether I spend the money on the permit and carry.

After reading all your posts it reminds me why I wanted the permit in the first place. I"m going to take off the add for my G26 and slowly work towards getting my permit. I actually reload my own 9MM so the ammo cost is very minimal. The first step is getting a membership to Jefferson Gun's range. Right now I only shoot a few times a year when I go to my in laws. They have a place in St. Francisville that I can shoot in their friends back yard.

Thank you for all your replies and being patient with my lack of knowledge with the gun world!!! :hi5:

:bravo:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

THIS! is a HUGE check in the box. A lot of guys have already destroyed the issue beyond repair when it comes to the wife aspect of carrying and will just carry despite the wife's concern. This is better than nothing I suppose but not optimal.

If that statement is true and your wife said it, you are set up for success. Just don't jack it up! Start on the home front and go from there.

Also don't do like a guy did from work I know who tried to make the Fire Extinguisher reference, but had no fire extinguisher in the house. :doh: She'll most likely burn your ass for that. lol

My wife too is very supportive and submissive. However I DO NOT like taking advantage of that, knowing she's not fully on board with something I'm doing. In fact I hate it. I like her to be 100% behind me. Of course that don't fly all the time but you get the point.

The goal is that if indeed you go down, your wife draws her own, or picks yours up and finishes the job. That's the kind of support you want.

That's my goal anyway and I'm guiding my wife towards it, slowly but surely.

Every time we go shooting(Pretty Rare) I make maximum effort to make it pleasant. Ear Pro, Eye Pro, Cool temperature, drinks almost like a date. In doing so I’ve seen with every pull of the trigger from her and encouraging comment I give, she’s gaining the number attribute. CONFIDENCE!

Top Bottom