Decisions decisions......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Ive been reloading for about 10 years now. I currently am using a RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive press. I know Dillion is considered to be the "King" of progressive presses and have decided to go ahead and purchase one. I am currently torn between the 550B and XL650. Is there any other differences between the auto indexing and extra cost of the 650 vs the 550? Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I won't reload without auto index for pistol ammunition. I don't have time to reload much as it is now, and it is a breeze to fly through a few hundred rounds on the 650. I couldn't imagine adding a case, adding a bullet, indexing without screwing up every now and then.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    After talking with a buddy of mine that has used Dillon 550's for over 10 years I think im going to go with the 550. Hopefully I'll have the order placed on Wednesday.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, I have done all of those things. But it's not a major deal. The only Major ordeal I had was when primer got turned sideways in my priming system and the machine wouldn't index, but that only happened once. I had to take the primer system apart and pull out the sideways primer.

I have never had a double charge or no charge, which is what I am really worried about when loading, and much less likely to happen with an auto indexing machine.

Imagine harder. A lot of us manage to do just that.

You're saying you never have a stoppage? You've never crunched a case with a sideways bullet, never had a cock-eyed primer, a case mis-feed, etc.? I have used fully progressive presses before, and the slightest interruption was a major deal... especially when I inadvertently went another stroke (IOW, I didn't realize I had a minor problem in time to prevent it from becoming a major problem).

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    550 is the way to go. Yes you have to advance the tray manually, but it is easier to set up / use and will go thousands of rounds. And of course with Dillon, have any problems send it in for free lifetime repair. I also have a square B press for all of my handgun calibers. You will not be disappointed with a 550, I reload tons of rounds of .223, never a problem. I bought mine used and sent it in for a free inspection and rebuild

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    There is no wrong answer. I've owned square deal, 550, and the 650. When I quit shooting (competitively) I sold everything. I know a lot of people that say 550 but most of them (not all) do not have a lot of time on a 650. The 650 is a faster machine. I've loaded 10's of thousands in 9mm, 38 super, 223 and 40. I would choose the 650 everytime for all of those calibers. Those are the only calibers I load or have loaded so I can't speak to anything else.

This is all assuming you will buy a casefeeder.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    550 is the way to go. Yes you have to advance the tray manually, but it is easier to set up / use and will go thousands of rounds. And of course with Dillon, have any problems send it in for free lifetime repair. I also have a square B press for all of my handgun calibers. You will not be disappointed with a 550, I reload tons of rounds of .223, never a problem. I bought mine used and sent it in for a free inspection and rebuild

How do you like the Square Deal B?

BTW: All I will ever reload is 9mm.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I have 2 SDB, one for large primer the other for small. I detest swapping the primer system is why the 2. If all you plan do load is for handgun, then the SDB is perfect. When I was looking at the 550 & 650, I was leaning more toward the 650 because, from memory, it has an additional station for powder charge check.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Auto index, case feed, a fifth die station (most use it for a powder check die), and a better priming system are all pluses for the 650. The simplicity and ability to use the 550 as a single stage press are the pluses for it. Changing primer sizes is much easier on the 550 too. I have both and would get rid of neither.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Well, I just got off of the phone with Dillon. Ill will have a new RL550B sitting on my bench by next week. The real kicker for me was the fact that a 550 with all the bells and whistles, minus the case feeder, was under $1k. Now I have a little extra money to get extra caliber conversion kits and dies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom