deer feed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Early in the season they prefer the native food over bait. Relocate to oak tress that are dropping acorns if you are bow hunting. This blow tonight will send alot of acorns to the forest floor. Rice bran will work early too.

If the spot you are in now has sign, don't abandon it; just keep feeding it. It takes them a while to find it and start to realize it is there for the next times they are looking for a quick bite. By November, they will start eating it. If you have hogs in the area, forget it! However, since you say nothing is touching it, that is a good sign. Pigs don't care what time of year they devour your corn.

Once the deer start eating it, and if they start cleaning it out too fast, use deer corn on the cob. It takes them longer to nibble it off the cob. Nothing beats a real food plot of vegetation though.

I am not a believer in all of those attractants, syrups, and jams. They are over priced and I haven't had any pattern of success that would let me endorse them. However, they do like that Acorn Rage, but that crap is so overpriced it's ridiculous.

One last thing, the moon phase ain't exactly been conducive to deer movement. We are on the back side so it will get better and this cooler weather will make them feisty.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Rice bran pellets. Usually 7 bucks for 50 lb sack at co-op. Deer love it, pigs dont usually touch it. You can also buy it in powder form but it doesn't do well in the rain. Pellets will run through a feeder.

Sent via dixie cup string phone...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Lots of acorns in the woods so they are not hitting the corn. Later when the acorns get more scarce you'll probably see more activity around the corn feeders.

This!!!!

We stopped seeing deer on our place soon after Tropical Storm Lee. The trees were loaded with acorns, and couple that with high winds for three days and.....you get the picture. No reason for them to leave their regular cover. Acorns are what carry them through and put the fat on.

It took the deer & hogs about a month to thin the acorns down enough to where we're finally seeing some deer again on our place. But have faith: Once they come back and find your corn, they won't travel far from it!

mudmixers9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    labadieville la
    i think im going to try those rice bran pellets. i always used the powder but never tried the pellets. hopefully the deer will start coming around again before hunting season

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Yep on the late season corn, too much native right now. I've had rice bran and corn out all summer, no action on the rice bran.

If you like year around entertainment leave the corn out, coons put on some funny shows. ( I don't have a lot to do )

We put a big majic block ( some sort of souped up deer attracting block ) out a year ago in an acorn flat...it's doing fine , still looks like the day it was set there.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Yep on the late season corn, too much native right now. I've had rice bran and corn out all summer, no action on the rice bran.

If you like year around entertainment leave the corn out, coons put on some funny shows. ( I don't have a lot to do )

We put a big majic block ( some sort of souped up deer attracting block ) out a year ago in an acorn flat...it's doing fine , still looks like the day it was set there.

Weird. Everywhere we put out rice bran, the deer kill it. Guess it just depends on your area. We are hunting in avoyelles parish.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Without question, it depends on the location. I am going to experiment with a secret deer attractant on a hunch. If my hypothesis is correct I am going to make a fortune.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Up in the NW corner, we have been DRY. Acorns are small and few and far between. Corn goes big time, and like the lady at the feed store said, rice bran is like deer cack. The deer and the pigs have been all over it. Last Sunday morning, I watched a yearling bring a group of does in over 200 yards to a pile of rice bran. She (it) could not make them go fast enough to get to it. I have pictures of pigs eating and rolling in the rice bran. I am open to other alternatives to corn and rice bran. I have never seen the rice bran pellets. If I can find anything under $10.00 for 50#, then I am open to it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Weird. Everywhere we put out rice bran, the deer kill it. Guess it just depends on your area. We are hunting in avoyelles parish.

Just heard yesterday that they are starting on the bran now...found a nice buck on the corn Wednesday but saw him while on the way to another stand ...he left me with a 200 yd offhand shot, I passed, just spent a little scope time

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom