deer murder club?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    To some degree, but you will be hard pressed to get a mature buck worth shooting to come to a feeder during legal shooting times on a truly wild tract with any hunting pressure around. I have never seen a mature buck at a feeder in the daylight; ever! Except on tv, of course.
    I have plenty of times.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    By Mature I believe he means 3 1/2 years old and up. And I would agree with Emp on this one as they don't get that old by being stupid !
    He's saying hrs never seen one on camera in legal shooting hours on "normal" hunting land. I have plenty of times. Don't see what the big deal is. If you use cameras and have mature bucks and have never seen one on camera during the day that's a good sign that you're spending too much time in the woods.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have plenty of times.

By Mature I believe he means 3 1/2 years old and up. And I would agree with Emp on this one as they don't get that old by being stupid !

I'm not saying it's impossible. If you hunt on virgin woodlands, with very little inside or outside pressure, and a really strong deer herd, you can get them to come easily. But Louisiana is not Texas! When you feed them day in and day out all year, like they do in Texas; they will at least come around the sendero's.

I would say you have a better chance of a giant mature buck coming near a feeder when there are does present at the feeder during the rut.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He's saying hrs never seen one on camera in legal shooting hours on "normal" hunting land. I have plenty of times. Don't see what the big deal is. If you use cameras and have mature bucks and have never seen one on camera during the day that's a good sign that you're spending too much time in the woods.

Didn't say anything about cameras. I don't use them. Every mature buck I have ever taken was from a climber in the middle of nowhere without attractants. But as I said, those are in places where there is light to moderate hunting pressure around the perimeter and the deer are not waiting around to see what comes next when they see or smell a human. Keep in mind, 1000 acres or less, is not a big area for deer. If you have neighbors within 1-2 miles of your spot, they are hunting the same deer you are at times.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here's a thought. Plan on bowhunting only and it will be enough of a challenge either way.

Yes! And without a crossbow! Those are for weenies! :mamoru:

iu

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I'm not sure I would decline with an F-bomb or two, or ruin a business relationship over it. However you feel about it (and I side with you) they are offering it out of good will. Perhaps saying October is a very busy time of year for us or something of that nature would be better received. Although you disagree with it in principle, they are not taking you to an underage trafficked massage parlor or something, and they feel they are being nice.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Some of the very best hunting I have had were paid fair chase hunts. Basically you are just renting land in an area foreign to you for a few days. That in itself is no small challenge. You have to size up, find sign, set up and get to hunting quickly. Takes way more experience than you think. Even then you are usually just getting the pattern when it's already time to leave. Personally, that is what I enjoy. You want a test - that's a good one. I don't have to kill something, just give me the challenge and at least SEE some deer. Bow range or not, I'm happy.

I like to tend my hunting haunts, food plots, moving stands, learning by watching all year and itching for opening day like anybody. There's a lot to be said though for sweetening the season with a couple of good challenges in a completely different environment and type of hunting. Ends up costing about the same either way when you really look at it.

JDIZZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Central La
    I live 10 minutes from the place. Fair chase, lots of does, but not many qualified shooters out there. I am bringing my old man out there, end of November.
    Just go and have fun.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm not sure I would decline with an F-bomb or two, or ruin a business relationship over it. However you feel about it (and I side with you) they are offering it out of good will. Perhaps saying October is a very busy time of year for us or something of that nature would be better received. Although you disagree with it in principle, they are not taking you to an underage trafficked massage parlor or something, and they feel they are being nice.

i understand the point, but i wouldnt speak that way unless our relationship supported it. Conversation this am was more like "we dont wanna go shoot a deer while some F yankee holds it still." "lol, nah it aint like that at all. would you rather us do B, C, or D instead?" we'll discuss it.

We'll see. I particularly like the idea of bringing the bows instead. Could even get an office pool going on who bags one.

- - - Updated - - -

I live 10 minutes from the place. Fair chase, lots of does, but not many qualified shooters out there. I am bringing my old man out there, end of November.
    Just go and have fun.

cool. thanks for the tip, i was hoping someone that had actually been there would comment. appreciate it. do they dress it etc if ya get one? havent heard back from them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom