Defensive Knife Training Group - New Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I have a small training group which is planning to start meeting in New Orleans twice per week for defensive knife training drills. This is not an instructional class, but we all learn from each other and share skills. I personally follow a lot of Michael Janich's doctrine on defensive knife tactics, and the training drills we perform were developed by Michael Janich.

Planning to meet on either Monday or Weds nights at a Lower Garden District training studio, and Sunday mornings at City Park or the training studio (depends on weather). Fee for the studio is about 5-7 bucks per person.

You will need a training folder, I may have a loaner or 2 on hand.

Message me for details.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I highly advise if you guys are going to train blade work to do it with hard contact trainers, there are two options available one would be the NOKS and the other one is the RAW Training Knife.

They allow for more realistic training, HARD CONTACT and still keeping your training partners safe from injuries with the metal trainers, they SUCK when you get stabbed even with the round tip.

http://www.luke-holloway.com/luke-holloway-knives.php

http://noktrainingknives.webs.com/apps/webstore/

They both will come from over seas so you migth have to wait about 6 weeks or so .........

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We have some hard rubber knives where I train in martial arts and walked away with bruises more than once. Gives an incentive to block properly. :)

Last edited:

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    We use the aluminum folders, typically in your EDC form. Not always possible to get an exact trainer though being Emerson,Spyderco and sometimes SOG are really the only ones who make "training drones" replicated off of actual designs. The other generic aluminum trainer folders work, and give a more accurate feel for training. I do not personally care for "fixed blade" training knives for Knife defense being most folks carry a folder as EDC. IF a fixed blade is your EDC then by all means train with a fixed blade, but for my purpose the folders work well. The folders allow presentation under stress, presentation while attacked etc......we try to get as realistic as possible.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    And yes Guate-Shooter, the aluminum knives do hurt when you get stabbed with them, and we do get as real as is safely possible.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    10-4. I would appreciate any skills you bring to the group. Would also like to see the RAW COMBAT skills in action! We all have different backgrounds and share knowledge and experience with the group. It is great to see what actually works and what does not (especially in a training session and not WTSHTF). I am waiting to hear back from a couple of folks before I make the announcement on specific times and dates.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Any CCers or OCers who want to practice the draw while under stress...feel free to get a blue/red trainer pistol and step on up. Will be adding some drawing while under attack to the knife training on Sundays.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    We will be holding our first Training Workshop on Sunday 25 March, it will be at New Orleans City Park and starts at 10:00. I am planning to BBQ afterwards, so there will be some time for discussion of the training and general fellowship. PM me for location and other details.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    For the training please bring:
    Training folder (if you have one), if you don't have one, don't purchase one until after we meet,
    Eye protection (sunglasses or eyeglass type),
    Arm guard (ACE style bandage or neoprene calf supports from Academy)...this is a must have, your forearm will take a beating!
    Trainer pistol, holster, gun belt (ALL OPTIONAL)
    Appropriate clothing for the climate (t shirt, athletic shoes, etc)
    Hydration
    Towel
    Open Mind
    Good Attitude
    ....and any after training beverages or food for the grill.

I will send the training location at City Park to everyone who Messages me later next week.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Any CCers or OCers who want to practice the draw while under stress...feel free to get a blue/red trainer pistol and step on up. Will be adding some drawing while under attack to the knife training on Sundays.
    I'm all for training but New Orleans is a bit far for me to drive considering I work nights in Baton rouge on weekends. That said, I hope plenty of other people decide to participate. So I started a thread in the LOCAL forum under our training section at- http://laopencarry.freeforums.org/defensive-knife-training-group-new-orleans-t1042.html to help spread the word. I could also post it to the LOCAL Facebook wall too, linking it back to this thread if you wish.
    I wish you guys the best of luck with this and hope it is a success.

Last edited:

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I'm all for training but New Orleans is a bit far for me to drive considering I work nights in Baton rouge on weekends. That said, I hope plenty of other people decide to participate. So I started a thread in the LOCAL forum under our training section at- http://laopencarry.freeforums.org/defensive-knife-training-group-new-orleans-t1042.html to help spread the word. I could also post it to the LOCAL Facebook wall too, linking it back to this thread if you wish.
    I wish you guys the best of luck with this and hope it is a success.

Yale, Any help spreading the word will be greatly appreciated. Bring me some LOCAL flyers to Rangemaster to hand out if anyone approaches us at the park. Never know, we may be able to make it to Baton Rouge one weekend for a field trip.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Yale, Any help spreading the word will be greatly appreciated. Bring me some LOCAL flyers to Rangemaster to hand out if anyone approaches us at the park. Never know, we may be able to make it to Baton Rouge one weekend for a field trip.
    Will do. See you tommorrow at the Rangemaster class.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Great meeting you and shooting with you this weekend.

Yale, thanks, and great meeting you as well. Great shooting with you. Tom's class was a blast! Now just got to get the blisters healed up. Hope to see ya at the next one!

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Training Group meeting this Sunday from 10:00-1:00 at City Park.

PM me for location and additional info.

As for the rest....you should have gotten a location message from me, if not please PM me again.

Looking forward to training with you all on Sunday!

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Training Group meeting this Sunday from 10:00-1:00 at City Park.

PM me for location and additional info.

As for the rest....you should have gotten a location message from me, if not please PM me again.

Looking forward to training with you all on Sunday!

Shaping up to be a nice group. The weather should be perfect tomorrow.

Top Bottom