Deputy killed in shootout - Video - This is what happens when you are not decisive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    This vid applies to LEO's, CCW holders, and the general public who has a firearm for self defense. The vid is used for training. The experts all say the deputy, rest his soul, was not decisive, and should have fired his weapon as soon as the driver displayed a firearm. I was yelling shoot him out loud when I first saw the video. It makes you think.

The suspect had the ability, the means, and the intent to harm the deputy. He said he was a Vietnam Vet, and he told the deputy to shoot him. The suspect produced a rifle and inserted a mag before the shootout even began.

When do you think he was justified to shoot the suspect?

Story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dinkheller

Video:
    http://policelink.monster.com/videos/videos/14724-deputy-kyle-dinkheller

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Horrible. I hope that freak has been executed by now.

Personally, I think that once an individual shows hostility towards an officer and refuses to obey the officers commands then lethal force should be allowed, especially when an officer is in a rural area and alone.

Otherwise, outcomes such as this will continue.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    That officer should have defiantly shot when the guy was getting his gun, probably before then.

Something like this really illustrates the effectiveness of a rifle vs pistol though. Even if the vet has more shooting/combat experience you can tell it was a one sided battle.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This vid applies to LEO's, CCW holders, and the general public who has a firearm for self defense. The vid is used for training. The experts all say the deputy, rest his soul, was not decisive, and should have fired his weapon as soon as the driver displayed a firearm. I was yelling shoot him out loud when I first saw the video. It makes you think.

The suspect had the ability, the means, and the intent to harm the deputy. He said he was a Vietnam Vet, and he told the deputy to shoot him. The suspect produced a rifle and inserted a mag before the shootout even began.

When do you think he was justified to shoot the suspect?

Story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Dinkheller

Video:
    http://policelink.monster.com/videos/videos/14724-deputy-kyle-dinkheller

I think when the rifle was produced he should have been shot. You don't go from not having a rifle to having a rifle (while cursing and being non-cooperative and directly disobeying instruction) in the presence of a police officer without intending to shoot him.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    That officer should have defiantly shot when the guy was getting his gun, probably before then.

Something like this really illustrates the effectiveness of a rifle vs pistol though. Even if the vet has more shooting/combat experience you can tell it was a one sided battle.

The old man was spraying and praying, landing shots half a dozen feet from the officer. The officer was not prepared to take another life and even if he had had a BAR he would have lost that fight without dumb luck.

I'm all for cops being held accountable for their actions, preventing tyranny, etc. but when you see another person CLEARLY produce a weapon in that state of mind, I would feel much safer knowing every officer out there was willing to stop that person in any way necessary, including killing them.

This is how I think an officer SHOULD react to a lethal threat to their person:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4761dc3fbc

Screw waiting for them to point it your general direction. Producing the weapon in a threatening manner is more than enough.

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'd hate for my legacy to include me screaming in terror in a gun fight. We all want to go at it like the Duke or Josey Wales or the like...but who can really know till it's showtime.

IMO...when the guy ran at me with his clothes flapping and hands not in plain view it would be TIME

I am not a cop and don't know how they would have been allowed to react.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I would have given him the opportunity to comply until he had shown the gun!!! With the video and the investigation and the perp laying there with the gun in his hands...no question in that outcome!!! It's a shame an officer has to wait for a perp to show his weapon before firing just to keep his name in the clear...... GOD Bless the officer and his family !!!!

Tony Montana

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Louisiana
    My CCW instructor showed this at our class. It is very disturbing, however a very valuable lesson in not waiting too long to act. Thank goodness they caught that bastard. Our instructor told us that a week prior to that shooting, some of the officers in that area got in trouble for using too much force, and all of the officers were lectured about not using too much force. But in this case, extreme force was necessary IMO

Last edited:

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    That's a pretty messed up video. Towards the end you here the muffled pop of the gun mans last shot, followed almost immediately by the cops dying breath.

Poor guy should have pulled the trigger on the crazy dude long ago.

Top Bottom