Derringer for pocket carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I love my naa 22mag 2 inch.. Don't let anyone fool you, 22mag will put a whole lot of hurt on you with the right shot placement!!!!

4-10 on Dat:}

So will this 45/70...410 Derringer

qhh11dkgwzrnne4v79.jpg

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Try a S&W Bodyguard on for size before making your decision, I've owned all the mouse 380s and this one is my edc when the 19 is not possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    An exercise which can be instructive is to do your own tests. Most don't have access to ballistic gelatin, but a line of gallon water jugs is easy to get.

Compare penetration of *expanding* bullets from .22RM, .22WMR, .380, .38 Special, and 9mm.

In gelatin, good bullets from the .380 penetrate pretty much the same as .38 Special and 9mm. .22s are . . . marginal.

When going really small, it's hard to beat the .380s we have available. If you can bump up a little bit, the tiny 9mms are great.

If you have to carry while wearing Speedos, drop a NAA mini revolver into a Big Gulp cup full of water. A serious way to carry when you really can't carry. Oh, it makes the water taste funny. Yes, I tried it. No, I did not wear Speedos!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    An exercise which can be instructive is to do your own tests. Most don't have access to ballistic gelatin, but a line of gallon water jugs is easy to get.

Compare penetration of *expanding* bullets from .22RM, .22WMR, .380, .38 Special, and 9mm.

In gelatin, good bullets from the .380 penetrate pretty much the same as .38 Special and 9mm. .22s are . . . marginal.

When going really small, it's hard to beat the .380s we have available. If you can bump up a little bit, the tiny 9mms are great.

If you have to carry while wearing Speedos, drop a NAA mini revolver into a Big Gulp cup full of water. A serious way to carry when you really can't carry. Oh, it makes the water taste funny. Yes, I tried it. No, I did not wear Speedos!

Certain 380 bullets(stuff like the buffalo bore 100gr) can penetrate as much as certain 9mm bullets. However, it is illogical to think that a heavier bullet traveling at a greater speed will not penetrate further than a slower lighter bullet, with all other factors(bullet design, denim layers, plywood, car door, etc.) being the same. With 380, you are giving up good expansion and performance through barriers to get good penetration. That isn't a sacrifice made with 9mm. Example:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BARNES/Barnes_.380ACP_80gr_TAC-XP.pdf

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Ballistic_Gel_Experiments/BARNES/Barnes_9mm_115gr_TAC-XP.pdf

You're absolutely right about 22s.

Last edited:

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    I should not have included the 9mm. We were actually testing the .380 versus .38 Special out of a Ruger LCR. Penetration was within an inch. Clearly, the added velocity of the 9mm will get you more penetration.

Gotta remember not to post before having enough coffee. (I'm in Mountain time zone this week.)

Thanks.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I should not have included the 9mm. We were actually testing the .380 versus .38 Special out of a Ruger LCR. Penetration was within an inch. Clearly, the added velocity of the 9mm will get you more penetration.

Gotta remember not to post before having enough coffee. (I'm in Mountain time zone this week.)

Thanks.

No problem at all. Let us know how that goes!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Try the smith with a proper pocket holster. You may see it, but it will break up the shape so it doesn't look like a gun, maybe a wallet or iphone or something. Honestly, people are oblivious to the fact that you are carrying a gun, and you are your worse critic. I pocket carry a LCR in a desantis nemesis and it works great.

If your really concerned, stuff a pair of socks down the front of your pants, and no one will notice the bulge in your pocket.:)(JK)

Top Bottom