Desert Eagle 1911g thoughts on the gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    I bought the gun new 2 weeks ago and went to the range. Fired 150 rds of ball ammo some range reloads with 1 stove pipe right out the box after inspection. Love the gun, I even had my wife shoot it and she has not fired a weapon in 15 years and on the second mag she stacked 5 out 7 rds touching in the red on a silhouette at 20 ft. I forgot to try any hollow points so the other night I tried hand cycling and they are acting like they will jam. I understand its not the same as firing but i have not had a chance to get back to the range it has me a little unsure. The gun has a polished feed ramp from the factory as well as throated barrel. I know the gun is not broken in yet but just curious if any one has had a Desert Eagle 1911g. Looking for thoughts on this weapon, etc, etc. the good, the bad, the ugly. Please don't tell me I should have bought a different gun unless you have owned a Desert Eagle. I did my research and took a chance.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Sorry I can't help, but I'm gonna tag along cause they look solid & the price is good. I've been eyeballing one for a while now, but there's always something I need more than another 1911.

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    No problem J and I agree they are solid guns at a good price. I looked at the Rem, the Taurus, and several others in this price range, but when I picked this one up I bought on the spot. I had done some prior reading on it and Magnum Research. My friend bought one
    the same day after he turned me on to them. We had no idea they made a desert eagle 1911. He has not had a chance to get the range with it so........ But he and I agree the gun is great looking, solid, great trigger, etc, etc. some complain about the billboard on the slide but I think it has a little bit of a cool factor to it since it is a Desert Eagle made in Israel. Just picked another 150 rds of hard ball today so I hope to get back to the range soon. I will try the hollow points while I'm there. I will post results

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Were the failures consistent to any one magazine? Are you using quality magazines?

I understand from the 1911 guys you have to shoot one for about 500 rounds before any of the failures count... or something like that. The 1911 guys have lot of excuses like that for their historically significant handguns. My opinion is that in a world of CNC machining, where the 1911 has been around for over one hundred years, that NO BREAK IN period should be needed. If the factory needs to shoot 500 before it'll work than that's what they should do before they ship it. I think they should know a head of time what needs done. It's not a new design and it seems like everyone makes it now.

Dave

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks Dave for the reply

I'm sure it is not the mags they feed flawlessly with hard ball ammo. I not ready to say there is a malfunction yet due to the fact that I was hand cycling the hollow points. They were jamming in the throat of barrel but I suspect it was the way I was hand cycling. I agree a gun should work right of the box as mine did with 150 rds. I might have gotten a little of head of myself posting about the hollow points just wanted to be prepared with any and all info when I make back to the range.

Just a little background info...... This is my first 1911 and have not considered myself a 1911 guy and really never considered buying one since it seemed like everyone has one..... till I shot one . Mostly been a revolver guy though I think I might be on my way to being a semi auto/ 1911 guy. I have done a lot of reading on the 1911s and now getting first hand experience.

As far as "the break in period"
    I would not trust any weapon with my families life unless that I have fired enough to know it like the back of my hand. I understand 500 rds seems like the number given most often for 1911s. I guess I will find out for myself if this magical number means anything or just something left over from years gone by. I can tell you that gun felt great out the box and operated even better with every round. I just forgot to try hollow points and understand these guns can have issues which given its long history and many manufactures seems reasonable. Just hoping my gamble pays off.

I know all guns have pros and cons and appreciate your honest opinion. Thanks

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I apologize for not reading your original post closely enough I didn't realize you were talking about jamming only with hand cycling.

Just b/c a handgun jams when hand cycled does not mean it will when fired. The only way to know it go to the range and let the bullets fly.

I must caution you that hand cycling with live ammunition should be done as little as possible and only in a safe area. Also beware of what I'm going to call set back b/c I can't remember the official gun term for it. It happens when the top round in a magazine is repeated loading into the chamber via a magazine. i.e. You place a full magazine in the weapon and release the slide to come forward into battery. Frequently people see that the top round is getting beat up looking so they keep using it over and over again. This will eventually cause the bullet to get pushed further and further into the brass case. This will decrease the case volume and increase the pressures generated. Handguns have kaboomed from the increase in pressure. Most police departments have policies in effect to reduce the likelihood of this happening.

If the jam you were getting was of the wrong type it could've taken far fewer cycles to push the bullet back. I've found that even one bad jam in some cases will push the bullet back noticeably. Please closely inspect the ammunition before using it for your own safety.

I'm going to recommend that if you are going to hand cycle for some reason either make your own or buy inert rounds.

I will load the same round over and over but I load with the slide locked back, place the round into the chamber, and then release the slide while pointing the weapon in a safe direction. Then I put the magazine in place. Or I just carry a revolver. :)

Dave

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks Dave

I understood as much with the hand cycling compared to just shooting the gun. It just made me want to ask if anyone has had problems with this specific gun and if so what the fix was so I might be able to work out any potential problems while at the range. While 1911s in general are the same, every gun is different.

As far as the ammo thanks for the info. I understand it is dangerous and have not and will not make a habit of this now that you have enlightened me to an issue that seems very plausible given bad habits. I would never shoot any ammo that appears damaged but may caliper the rounds that I used to make sure their not seated further into the case, or just chunk them. I have some dummy rounds for my revolvers and will look into picking some up for this gun.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Billboard can't be worse than this....

uzygyta5.jpg

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    Try Remington Golden Sabre HP's they have done well in my pickier 1911's. No promises, but I have given this advise to many friends who have all had similar results. Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't hold it against a 1911 for not cycling HP rounds. I was always told that is a chance you take with any standard 1911.

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks Brad
    for the tip on the Golden Sabre hollow points and I will not hold it against the gun if it ends not shooting hollow points. The gun shoots so nice it would be hard to leave it behind on a trip to the range. I saw one review where the guy said he thought gun was about to start making big balls of cotton candy from shooting so sweet. Lol and I AGREE

I think I'm turning in to one of those guys Colin Noir was talking about in his video " guys that shot 1911s"
    If y'all haven't seen it that is funny stuff.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't worry about shooting hollow points. At the velocities generated by 45acp there's almost no chance they'd expand anyway in a person. In tactical jello (ballistics gel) they would though. :)

John M Browning didn't design that weapon to be used with HP's anyway.

Dave

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    FWIW, I have a springfield 1911 mil-spec, and have probably shot close to 10,000 through it. Hollow points do feel (chunky?) when cycling by hand, but feed reliably when shooting. Do you recall if your initial stovepipe was with a reload or factory? If reload, I wouldn't worry about it. I still hang up on about 1 out of every 300 reloads in mine (I think it's due to the lip on the 200 grn. bullet I use.) Ball and hollowpoint (factory) shoot flawlessly until I hit around 4000 rounds, then had terrible ejection problems fixed with a Wilson bulletproof extractor. once again a perfectly reliable gun. I have had mag issues with cheap mags, I don't count that against the gun. 7 shot factory mags work %100, they are about 15 years old with original springs and left loaded. (I know I should change them, thanks.) Wilson 47d work great, but have had one I had to send back due to 8th round ejecting with 7ths empty case. (??? feed lips???)

If your stovepipe was with a factory, while I don't feel a 1911 has a "break in period", I wouldn't get to hung up (HA HA) on it if it's working right now. There is no saying what debris, burrs, ect. may have been left on the gun during manufacture to cause a "right out of the box" type failure. I know, a modern hand gun by a reputable manufacture should blah blah blah, but nothing is perfect, and I would consider a failure or 2 during the first few magazines as acceptable as long as the gun acts right after that, 1911 or any other handgun for that manner.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's!!!

I carry and practice with a glock 19.

I don't always shoot for pleasure, but when I do, I prefer 1911's.

Last edited:

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    I wouldn't worry about shooting hollow points. At the velocities generated by 45acp there's almost no chance they'd expand anyway in a person. In tactical jello (ballistics gel) they would though. :)

John M Browning didn't design that weapon to be used with HP's anyway.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the info. And I agree about not getting hung up on hollow point and aware that the gun was not designed
    originally for hollow point.
    That being said I'm just trying to gather first hand info on the gun. I'm one of those people that explore every angle ( safely and within reason that is) . And I thank all you guys cause you never know when a tip given can come in handy. I would rather learn from others mistakes than my own. The gun is being used as just a pleasure shooter but you never when it might come in handy. Plus with ammo being what it is, hollow points might be the only thing handy. Crossing my fingers and thankful that is not the case. And yes I'm saving my brass and considering reloading and some point.
    Big Jake

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    FWIW, I have a springfield 1911 mil-spec, and have probably shot close to 10,000 through it. Hollow points do feel (chunky?) when cycling by hand, but feed reliably when shooting. Do you recall if your initial stovepipe was with a reload or factory? If reload, I wouldn't worry about it. I still hang up on about 1 out of every 300 reloads in mine (I think it's due to the lip on the 200 grn. bullet I use.) Ball and hollowpoint (factory) shoot flawlessly until I hit around 4000 rounds, then had terrible ejection problems fixed with a Wilson bulletproof extractor. once again a perfectly reliable gun. I have had mag issues with cheap mags, I don't count that against the gun. 7 shot factory mags work %100, they are about 15 years old with original springs and left loaded. (I know I should change them, thanks.) Wilson 47d work great, but have had one I had to send back due to 8th round ejecting with 7ths empty case. (??? feed lips???)

If your stovepipe was with a factory, while I don't feel a 1911 has a "break in period", I wouldn't get to hung up (HA HA) on it if it's working right now. There is no saying what debris, burrs, ect. may have been left on the gun during manufacture to cause a "right out of the box" type failure. I know, a modern hand gun by a reputable manufacture should blah blah blah, but nothing is perfect, and I would consider a failure or 2 during the first few magazines as acceptable as long as the gun acts right after that, 1911 or any other handgun for that manner.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's!!!

I carry and practice with a glock 19.

I don't always shoot for pleasure, but when I do, I prefer 1911's.

Thanks for the info GM
    The stove pipe was from Remington factory reloads that i purchased at the range, if I remember right, first 100rds. Then shot 50 rds of new hardball with no problems. 1 malfunction makes me suspect of the ammo and not the gun. I love the gun so far but only slinging lead down range will tell the tale.

Big Jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    As a known revolver fan I have to post this. I know you'll understand it's a joke. I've owned 1911's and found them to very fun range guns. I enjoyed modifying them too.

Dave

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?productNo=73829338&pr=B&showbleed=False&colorNo=1&tab=1&Zoom=2&subFront=&subBack=&ptn=-1

That's funny
    I love revolvers cause they go bang. But when shooting in a group when everyone else has semiautos I get tired of reloading. Thats is partly why i bought the 1911. Not that 8 is much better than 6 but with mulitiple mags its a little easier. I will say the 1911 for now will make every trip to the range.

Top Bottom